5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension - "Wallowy"?

Zinger

Reaction score
I test drove an air suspension Rebel and a standard suspension Rebel today back-to-back.

I'm not really sure, but I felt like the air suspension was too soft, and that the truck was "wallowing" a bit as I drove it. I immediately noticed this, which is why I took the standard out right after. The standard, while not handling bumps as nicely, felt more planted to me. I tried the air suspension in both normal and aero mode, same feel.

Is this my imagination?

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's mostly from the lightweight hollow rear sway bar. I swapped mine out for a Hellwig and feels really planted.

Could also be low air pressure in tires on 18" rims.

ablock

Reaction score
Your comment is interesting because I test drove a Rebel with air suspension yesterday and found it stiff. So stiff that the ride was kind of unpleasant. I don't know if the issue was the air ride, the off road suspension, or the combination of the two. Today I am going to test drive two trucks, one with only air, and one with only the ORG, to see which is the culprit.

Appreciate any feedback, too.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Air ride is stiffer feeling. When I picked mine up the tires really were wobbly. 80PSI WILL DO THAT! Aired down tires all good. If your test driving I would do it again verify tire pressures

ablock

Reaction score
Air ride is stiffer feeling. When I picked mine up the tires really were wobbly. 80PSI WILL DO THAT! Aired down tires all good. If your test driving I would do it again verify tire pressures

What should the tire pressures be for the test drive? I guess I can check the door plate.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 4th Gen Rebel felt like I was driving on a skid pad if I didn't adjust tire pressure. I found the factory 45psi to be the culprit and the truck drove better on the highway with all the tires at 50psi.

My 5th Gen with coils is far superior in handling, regardless of tire pressure, so I keep all the tires at 50psi for convenience and habit.

But I agree, tire pressure can influence handling regardless of air ride or coil.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Door plate is 55front and 45rear. It made a huge difference.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 4th Gen Rebel felt like I was driving on a skid pad if I didn't adjust tire pressure. I found the factory 45psi to be the culprit and the truck drove better on the highway with all the tires at 50psi.

My 5th Gen with coils is far superior in handling, regardless of tire pressure, so I keep all the tires at 50psi for convenience and habit.

But I agree, tire pressure can influence handling regardless of air ride or coil.

I test drove both types of suspension on and off road and felt the opposite that the air better. The steel is not a Raptor set up by far and not even close to the tech on a Colorado ZR2.

The new air is sweet

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I test drove both types of suspension on and off road and felt the opposite that the air better. The steel is not a Raptor set up by far and not even close to the tech on a Colorado ZR2.

The new air is sweet

That's great, there's a reason why air ride is popular, a lot of people prefer the ride. I'm just a fan of the 5th Gen coil/strut feel... in no way shape or form knocking the air ride, it's nice. Just not for me.

Still doesn't change the fact that tire pressure trumps the suspension type when ride quality/control is the concern.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I was going to level or lift yes I would go steel as well. Just depends what’s your deal. They are both good and totally agree with you on the tire pressure.

chrisfuss

Reaction score
I was surprised how stiff the air suspension is... really like it! I come from a X5 M which is as stiff as it can be for a suv and really hated all those pot holes and bad roads in Houston... (ok those low profile wheels didnt do any good either apart from I ruined 8 rear tires in 3 years...)
The RAM with air suspension however is super comfortable on those roads yet stiff enough to not feel wobbly or like a old truck... just great combination

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was surprised how stiff the air suspension is... really like it! I come from a X5 M which is as stiff as it can be for a suv and really hated all those pot holes and bad roads in Houston... (ok those low profile wheels didnt do any good either apart from I ruined 8 rear tires in 3 years...)
The RAM with air suspension however is super comfortable on those roads yet stiff enough to not feel wobbly or like a old truck... just great combination
Agreed. I'm coming from a 3/4-ton and like the "heavy" / "planted" feeling provided by the air suspension and off road group on this 1/2-ton truck. The solid ride and quiet interior are a great combination.

ablock

Reaction score
I drove two more trucks yesterday, one with only air ride and one with only the ORG. I found the ORG suspension to be plush. The air suspension was a bit stiffer, though still acceptable. So what I experienced in my first test drive was either:
  1. Overinflated tires
  2. The combination of air + off road suspension
  3. The combination of air + Rebel suspension specifically
Still haven’t decided what to order.

Last edited:

Old Ray

Reaction score
The air suspension on my Limited is the best riding and most comfortable pickup I have ever had (way to many) including previous Rams with air. The Limited is not my daily driver and I am surprised and impressed every-time I drive it. (y)

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
One of the reasons I am looking to fit the fattest tires I can is to smooth out bumps. And i am hoping if i get a Hellwig, it controls bumps a lil better.

Stillen

Reaction score
So did u get the hellwig and did it make ride more soft or stiff?

RebelRam2019

Reaction score
I can't speak for the exact vehicles that you drove, obviously, and only you can be the judge of what you sensed. I can speak for my truck, a 2019 Rebel with air suspension. My is as solid as a rock, I have had numerous trucks and some were modified and some were stock, this is probably the best handling truck I have ever driven. I traded in a heavily modified Jeep wrangler rubicon for this vehicle, arguably not apple and apples other than the fact that it was a super stiff ride by my preference and modifications. I can tell you, this truck outperforms on every metric. I could not be more happy with my air suspension, and I am so glad that I did not go with a conventional suspension. In addition, I will be towing with this truck and the auto leveling feature will be huge when I pull my RV. Well done RAM! I have had every brand, and this is the best ever!

Tedscanoe

Reaction score
I sold my older Ram 1500 with air suspension and just bought a new 2019 without! Two winters ago got an emergency notification on the cluster stating get air suspension repaired now. Dealership said "join the club" as they had 7 other air suspension rams waiting in line to repair. Had the exact same thing happen again this winter. Mechanic said that if the air suspension is manually adjusted quite a bit the nitrogen will eventually get replaced by ambient air. Moist ambient air that will freeze into ice and damage the compressors. Maybe it's just not a great thing to have when the temps get down to a -30 or worse. Anyway not for me anymore. Just thought that I should mention it.

Users who are viewing this thread