5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air suspension quirk

cliffsta

Reaction score
2023 Rebel with the air suspension. A little quirk: whenever I manually put the suspension in “aero” mode at like 55 MPH, the truck won’t let me raise it back to normal unless I’m completely stopped.

For the most part I never mess with raising or lowering it myself (I let it lower / raise automatically) but when I’m on back highways I like to lower it to squeak any extra MPGs. Anyone else experience this?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's normal operation if you have you have auto aero turned on in the settings so it automatically adjusts. Once it enters aero mode it will not go back to normal ride height until you are below 35 MPH even if you manually select normal ride height.

If you wish to retain full manual control of the height between aero and normal height, regardless of speed, you need to turn off auto aero in the settings.

From the manual:
The vehicle will return to NRH from Aero Mode if the
vehicle speed remains between 30 mph (48 km/h)
and 35 mph (56 km/h) for greater than 20 seconds or
if the vehicle speed falls below 30 mph (48 km/h).

KarmaRam

Reaction score
I have a few issues with my Air ride suspension. The same problem noted above regardless if I have the auto aero on or off in the settings. I should be able to lift manually from aero to normal anytime below 56 mph or 90 km/h

"To enter Aero Mode manually push the height selector switch down once from NRH at any vehicle speed. To return to NRH push the height selector switch up once while vehicle speed is less than 56 mph (90 km/h)"
My 2020 Rebel does not rise from aero mode unless I am at a ridiculously slow speed - Like 10 mp/h.

The 2nd issue I am getting is that I can jump into the truck try to raise it before I drive away I get a message in the cluster stating " Selected Ride Height Not Permitted Due to Payload" and the box is totally empty..... that one blows my mind.

3rd issue, the suspension is very hard... nowhere close to being an air ride suspension. It was great when I bought the truck new in 2020 but now - every pothole, crack, bump or whatever the truck is hitting hard. Hard enough that I have to look in the rear view mirror to see if parts are going to detach from the truck. My dealership says it's all normal.... I call BS as this is not my first Air Ride Suspension vehicle

off topic from the suspension since month 1 of having the truck, the TPMS front right has never worked. Even with a new set of tires, new TPMS that thing will turn itself on and off many times while im driving, and I can't even turn off the Air fill in the settings. I wonder if my computer is shot.

Anybody have same experiences or solutions ?

Thanks in advance

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few issues with my Air ride suspension. The same problem noted above regardless if I have the auto aero on or off in the settings. I should be able to lift manually from aero to normal anytime below 56 mph or 90 km/h

"To enter Aero Mode manually push the height selector switch down once from NRH at any vehicle speed. To return to NRH push the height selector switch up once while vehicle speed is less than 56 mph (90 km/h)"
My 2020 Rebel does not rise from aero mode unless I am at a ridiculously slow speed - Like 10 mp/h.

The 2nd issue I am getting is that I can jump into the truck try to raise it before I drive away I get a message in the cluster stating " Selected Ride Height Not Permitted Due to Payload" and the box is totally empty..... that one blows my mind.

3rd issue, the suspension is very hard... nowhere close to being an air ride suspension. It was great when I bought the truck new in 2020 but now - every pothole, crack, bump or whatever the truck is hitting hard. Hard enough that I have to look in the rear view mirror to see if parts are going to detach from the truck. My dealership says it's all normal.... I call BS as this is not my first Air Ride Suspension vehicle

off topic from the suspension since month 1 of having the truck, the TPMS front right has never worked. Even with a new set of tires, new TPMS that thing will turn itself on and off many times while im driving, and I can't even turn off the Air fill in the settings. I wonder if my computer is shot.

Anybody have same experiences or solutions ?

Thanks in advance
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for an hour? Might reset things.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yea this is a problem. With Auto Aero turned off I can raise and lower between Aero and NRH at any speed. Only entry/exit and the off road heights are speed sensitive.

It it possible it's stuck at the entry/exit height? Mine is extremely harsh at that height until it reaches the speed where in raises. I think, at that height, it's on the bump stops or very close. Just the 2 inch drop backing out of my garage is shocking if I have left it in entry/exit mode.

Maybe your system is leaking down and the computer is confused when you jump in because it thinks it was at the height you last left it but it leaked down while setting and is throwing the warning.

oe542bob

Reaction score
cliffsta, I have a 2022 Longhorn Limited with the off-road package. It is the same as the Rebel as the “normal” ride is 1” higher than the standard ”normal” on most air suspension trucks. I have noticed too that if I’m in “aero”, I must slow down to around 25 mph before it will go back to “normal” mode. No big deal really to me.

cliffsta

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. Glad to hear it is an expected quirk and not something wrong with my truck.

oe542bob

Reaction score
Just providing an update to my post. The next day I thought to try to go from aero to normal mode while driving at around 55 mph. It will raise pretty quickly up to normal while driving at that speed. Weird is last year ir wouldn’t unless I was traveling at a slow speed. IDK, but it’s not something I really mess with much.

Users who are viewing this thread