5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air suspension problems - Cold Weather Failure/Solutions

kevmo

Reaction score
I had a 2016 Rebel with the standard air suspension issues. Freezing air lines, blown fuses, down in front, down in back, one corner. Saw it all in the 16 months and 33k miles. I loved everything about that truck, except the suspension when the temps dropped below freezing. I fixed all my suspension issues by trading it in for a 2021 big horn. Best decision ever! Good luck to all with the air ride in cold climates. Hopefully the cold weather issues are resolved on the 5th Gens, but I am guessing it is a matter of time.

On a side note, if anyone is looking for a nice Rebel (92k miles), I know where you can pick one up...

hammer722

Reaction score
Well...walked out to the 19 rebel with air suspension yesterday am (northern IL; below zero) and the front passagenger side is down 1.5 inches vs the driver side. Have the daystar and revel links on it. Never had an issue. Thought maybe the link was causing the issue then start researching and see all these posts....not happy. Calling the dealer tomorrow. Curious to see if they give me a hard time because of the kit I put on it.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well...walked out to the 19 rebel with air suspension yesterday am (northern IL; below zero) and the front passagenger side is down 1.5 inches vs the driver side. Have the daystar and revel links on it. Never had an issue. Thought maybe the link was causing the issue then start researching and see all these posts....not happy. Calling the dealer tomorrow. Curious to see if they give me a hard time because of the kit I put on it.
1.5 inches isn’t bad , the problems we were having on the 4th gens was it would deflate to the bump stops .

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Bad enough for it to look like **** and pull right. Now it's basically in entry mode but it's definitely not. Leaking for sure View attachment 82837
Sorry I wasn’t meaning that it’s not bad just that it wasn’t as bad as being on the bump stops . When my 2016 Rebel did it the whole front end was down lower than the lowest setting and the rear was up in the air .

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn’t meaning that it’s not bad just that it wasn’t as bad as being on the bump stops . When my 2016 Rebel did it the whole front end was down lower than the lowest setting and the rear was up in the air .

What happened to you poor guys is what steered me toward the spring suspension on the 2019 Ram.

I missed 2 things about it.
1) Offroad mode - I took alll my photos of the Rebel in offroad mode :LOL:
2) Load levelling in the back

Next week the plan is to put Falcon teraflex shocks on my truck, in the medium setting.
It should look like the old offroad mode, AND the knob in the back can adjust to payload weight settings.
For those reading this wondering what suspension to get on a next Ram?

In another thread I'll post about that setup for anyone interested - from someone who had a Ram with an air suspension and loved some of its good virtues.

CobraKai

Reaction score
I am in upstate NY near Albany, my truck sits parked outside every night. I am yet to have an issue with the air suspension after a year. Keeping my fingers crossed, I thought they updated the system from the 4th gens did they not? My co worker had an issue with his 4th gen rebel losing air but it ended up just being a bad sensor, easy fix.

BigD

Reaction score
Skip the air suspension, powered steps, sunroof, diesel, & 12 inch screen & your life will be a lot less stressful. Lots of problems with those five things. Otherwise the Ram is a descent truck.

Nicholas707

Reaction score
No problems for me and I am in Minnesota where temps this past week got as low as -30. My truck is parked outside and has been since I got it. After having air ride I couldn’t be with out it. It’s nice being able to hook up my Mastercraft boat and just watching it level out. So far my experience with air ride has been great even in the cold.

The Tos

Reaction score
Bad enough for it to look like **** and pull right. Now it's basically in entry mode but it's definitely not. Leaking for sure View attachment 82837

Did the air ride adjust back to normal once you turned the truck on and the compressor engaged? I just had the daystar pucks and links installed on my limited last week. I am in Western New York.

revolutionz

Reaction score
I made it to 2.5 years/48,000 miles and this morning I got the wonderful "Service Air Suspension Immediately" message. My truck also lives outside, and was on the lake at -42 this last weekend. It was fine somehow until this morning and it seems like it started leaking. I put it in my heated garage for a few hours and was then able to successfully raise and lower the truck, but once it reached each position, there was a sound similar to semi air brakes, so I'm guessing there must be a leak at the compressor. Dealer can't get it in until Tuesday to take a look at. I was so hopeful that the 5th gens were where they finally sorted out the reliability issues. Time to cash in on the Mopar plan I guess...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I made it to 2.5 years/48,000 miles and this morning I got the wonderful "Service Air Suspension Immediately" message. My truck also lives outside, and was on the lake at -42 this last weekend. It was fine somehow until this morning and it seems like it started leaking. I put it in my heated garage for a few hours and was then able to successfully raise and lower the truck, but once it reached each position, there was a sound similar to semi air brakes, so I'm guessing there must be a leak at the compressor. Dealer can't get it in until Tuesday to take a look at. I was so hopeful that the 5th gens were where they finally sorted out the reliability issues. Time to cash in on the Mopar plan I guess...
Happy to report zero issues in our cold snap so far. Been in the teens in Houston lately (yeah, Houston) and it performed flawlessly.

098F4FFC-1985-477E-8027-FF3F1B966EF7.jpeg 866F0417-2671-47AA-8E5E-E6CCF3928748.jpeg

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
Skip the air suspension, powered steps, sunroof, diesel, & 12 inch screen & your life will be a lot less stressful. Lots of problems with those five things. Otherwise the Ram is a descent truck.
I have the air suspension, sunroof and 12" screen.. absolutely no issues. I have a good friend with the power steps and another with the diesel.. again no issues.

BigD

Reaction score
I have the air suspension, sunroof and 12" screen.. absolutely no issues. I have a good friend with the power steps and another with the diesel.. again no issues.
I'm just saying those are the top problems mentioned in reviews on the Ram. Obviously not everyone will experience problems, but if you have all those options u are more likely to have issues than if u don't have all that stuff.

BigD

Reaction score
I'm just saying those are the top problems mentioned in reviews on the Ram. Obviously not everyone will experience problems, but if you have all those options u are more likely to have issues than if u don't have all that stuff.
The air suspension & powered steps problems are all associated with the cold weather. If u live in a warm climate, u won't have issues with those 2 items. With the sunroofs it's leaks. 13 inch screen blackouts. Diesel was the 4th gen Rams. But they were so bad the discontinued them. If it was me I wouldn't buy a diesel for 2 or 3 years to make sure this gen is better than the last.

Users who are viewing this thread