5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air suspension or not

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just as a side note to the above post...no dog in this fight either...but, if a manufacturer provided any product with a 100% guarantee that issues were remedied, would we need a need a warrantee?

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate your knowledge and your cache of parts diagrams. Invaluable.

But I am motivated to answer your question with a question... Does anyone have a documented statement or advertisement that claims, clearly, that the cold climate issues have been 100% acknowledged and remedied?

The fact that they may have changed the compressor to a single piston or revamped how they circulate the nitrogen doesn't mean they have improved it beyond weight reduction and convenience features.

I have no real horse in this race since switching to a coil suspension truck and I have already apologized for stirring the pot. Time will tell and I will bite my tongue until then.

All good. (y)

If someone had that, I'd call them a liar...no amount of testing in a development cycle would cover every scenery, nor can you account for supplier escapes, etc.

I honestly have no idea if the 2019 system will be any better or not...luckily I'm not in a region where it consistently gets below 0 F (although it certainly feels it in western Ny at times)...and I'm hedging my bets with the lifetime warranty.

I certainly appreciate all the insight about the issue on the 4th gen also..never had the air suspension system before and other than being in the auto industry at various times in my career, no particular insight into the design.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@202snowman Thank you for all that amazing information - the video was great!

I wish I had access to a scantool for the Ram - it's my first vehicle with so much programmability through it's own brain, I'm impressed and am constantly looking to learn more. I hope you continue to share those PDFs!

Also a note for anyone really, if you're using windows 10, using the 'Windows + G' keys brings up a 'Game Bar' for screen recording, really does a great job of screen recording with our without narration. Alternately, you can use Powerpoint (mac or pc) to 'Insert>Screen Recording' and just record a part of your screen to share. I love the exchange of information & want it to be easy for everyone.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the OP: there ya go :)

I like the idea of a simpler steel suspension but the air suspension is compelling. My perfect truck places high weight on highway fuel economy so I'll give the AS and its' Aero Mode a go.

Hopefully the Chicago Auto Show this Thursday will reveal the new tailgate and us lurkers can see if it's worth waiting for.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
For the OP: there ya go :)

I like the idea of a simpler steel suspension but the air suspension is compelling. My perfect truck places high weight on highway fuel economy so I'll give the AS and its' Aero Mode a go.

Hopefully the Chicago Auto Show this Thursday will reveal the new tailgate and us lurkers can see if it's worth waiting for.
Yep, according to rams twitter account the new tailgate is being released this thursday 2/7/19

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's funny it that I was just reading though the PDF owners manual posted on this site. There are directions on how to open the Swing Gate "if equipped" in the manual. Think that pretty much eliminates the mystery.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are they trying to out do gmc ?

I'm not sure. It looks like a split gate in the spy shots.

What's funny it that I was just reading though the PDF owners manual posted on this site. There are directions on how to open the Swing Gate "if equipped" in the manual. Think that pretty much eliminates the mystery.

Really?? Wow. Hahaha nice find.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure. It looks like a split gate in the spy shots.

Really?? Wow. Hahaha nice find.
I went back to find what I was looking at. It's actually a description of warning lights on page 181. I think they accidentally let that one through.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man I like that. A lot. Probably available on the 2020 models, maybe released June or July.

Users who are viewing this thread