5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Options for No Air Builds

WRH

Reaction score
Had I custom ordered a truck, it would be slightly different than the truck I'm driving. I probably would have gotten air suspension.

That said, and given that I'm not so versed in the yins and yangs of it all, what are options for those of us who bought trucks without air suspension but want to consider a retrofit? I'd imagine there could be warranty issues if I installed a 3rd party system. That it could impact towing, warranty, gas mileage, etc. And I'm curious at costs. Once I add the cap I want, I won't fit in the garage unless I can drop down a tiny bit. Plus I already want a 2 inch lift. Seems like air could solve a couple things for me...

Thanks for any feedback!

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Had I custom ordered a truck, it would be slightly different than the truck I'm driving. I probably would have gotten air suspension.

That said, and given that I'm not so versed in the yins and yangs of it all, what are options for those of us who bought trucks without air suspension but want to consider a retrofit? I'd imagine there could be warranty issues if I installed a 3rd party system. That it could impact towing, warranty, gas mileage, etc. And I'm curious at costs. Once I add the cap I want, I won't fit in the garage unless I can drop down a tiny bit. Plus I already want a 2 inch lift. Seems like air could solve a couple things for me...

Thanks for any feedback!
That’s a good question, I wonder what systems our members might have installed in the older models?

A friend is installing a system but it sounded like it would only cushion or raise the existing suspension depending on what pressure he set it to... it didn’t sound like it would be able to push it down or lower it below “stock” like you may need to do for your garage.

I passed on the stock air suspension due to cold weather reliability concerns, though admittedly many have been problem free. Might be interested “down the road” in air though as I will be towing a beautiful but not so light Airstream... hopefully for many miles, very soon.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Their were a handful of Gen 4 air suspension systems. The ones that would accomplish what WRH posted cost upwards of $3000 plus installation. Some work only on 2x4 drive trains. For those wanting a leveling system, air bags cost about $500 installed, and work great. My friend towed with his Gen 4 and had airbags added. My guess would be that suspension systems for the Gen 5 Rams will start appearing in November, after the SEMA show. Until then you could call some of the GEN 4 air suspension companies to see what they have planned for our Gen 5 Rams.

Users who are viewing this thread