5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Opinion

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I towed a 6x12 uhaul tandem for my son in his limited. It didn’t even squat the back when loaded and hooked up and that was with maybe 800# in contents plus the already heavy covered trailer. The load was slightly nose heavy like its supposed to be for handling but the truck didn't drop any that I could see. Course I didn't compare unhitched to hitched heights, it just wasn’t squatting. For a soft payload number truck I was impressed. I’m thinking the actual tongue weight was 300 ish pounds, certainly not much more.

This is what I experienced too... towing my 7x14 enclosed dual axle V-nose trailer (United XLMTV for those that care), with an 850lb motorcycle in it. I could tell I needed more drop in my drop bar than what I had because my previous truck (a 2015 F-150) squatted a couple of inches, making the trailer level. My Limited didn't squat at all, and it made for a somewhat bouncy ride, especially once I dropped the bike off and was towing empty. FWIW, the trailer was slightly nose-up, which is what I believe caused this. Next time I go to my trailer place I'll pick up a 6" drop bar to replace my 4" one, and I think it'll tow even better. Still, no sway, and while not AS-related, the BLIS w/trailer length detection worked well and helped me out on the highway.

Probably more details than anyone cared to know, but it may be helpful for those still shopping for a truck.

-John

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I experienced too... towing my 7x14 enclosed dual axle V-nose trailer (United XLMTV for those that care), with an 850lb motorcycle in it. I could tell I needed more drop in my drop bar than what I had because my previous truck (a 2015 F-150) squatted a couple of inches, making the trailer level. My Limited didn't squat at all, and it made for a somewhat bouncy ride, especially once I dropped the bike off and was towing empty. FWIW, the trailer was slightly nose-up, which is what I believe caused this. Next time I go to my trailer place I'll pick up a 6" drop bar to replace my 4" one, and I think it'll tow even better. Still, no sway, and while not AS-related, the BLIS w/trailer length detection worked well and helped me out on the highway.

Probably more details than anyone cared to know, but it may be helpful for those still shopping for a truck.

-John

After owning four different drop bar sizes I finally upgraded to this sweet item and love it! https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Fastway/dtstbm6600-3s.html
Being able to adjust for any trailer is very nice.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Those adjustable hitch heads are sure nice as opposed to having several different drop ones laying around (spendy though). Kinda’ the crescent wrench vs open end wrench set concept. (yeah it was a stretch, I know).

steveved

Reaction score
While my 2019 Ram Laramie does not have the Air suspension, my wife's previous vehicle (a 2009 Mercedes R350) did have 4 corner air suspension. For the first 4 and half years, the air suspension was great. Then, we had the pump assembly go out. That was a $800 replacement not covered under warranty. Then one of the rear bags cracked and started leaking down when parked. The dealer didn't want to replace just one side, so we needed 2 @$400 each. Plus installation, that was a $1000 repair. Then a few of the plastic lines under the vehicle cracked. We ended up getting out of it soon after that.

So, if you are leasing your truck for 4 years. Get it. If you plan to keep your truck for more than 5 years, you may grow to hate the air suspension.

These are not my opinions, these are bad memories. Food for thought...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
While my 2019 Ram Laramie does not have the Air suspension, my wife's previous vehicle (a 2009 Mercedes R350) did have 4 corner air suspension. For the first 4 and half years, the air suspension was great. Then, we had the pump assembly go out. That was a $800 replacement not covered under warranty. Then one of the rear bags cracked and started leaking down when parked. The dealer didn't want to replace just one side, so we needed 2 @$400 each. Plus installation, that was a $1000 repair. Then a few of the plastic lines under the vehicle cracked. We ended up getting out of it soon after that.

So, if you are leasing your truck for 4 years. Get it. If you plan to keep your truck for more than 5 years, you may grow to hate the air suspension.

These are not my opinions, these are bad memories. Food for thought...
Lifetime MaxCare warranty...check ;)

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This has happened to most all of the previous domestic company air systems. GM and Ford had their own versions in the big SUV's and there are complete replacements back to regular coil systems available now. Here's 3 examples, the first 2 are YT videos:

Lincoln Navigator air suspension conversion to coil springs / Ford Expedition.
•Feb 8, 2019

Arnott Coil Spring Conversion Kit Installation (GM)
•Jan 30, 2014

And this is just a parts listing:

Cadillac Air to Coil Conversion Kits, Suspension Conversion ...

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com › Air to Coil Conversion

1. Products 1 - 7 of 7 - Arnott coil spring conversion kit for the Cadillac Escalade will allow you to replace your existing air springs with a coil spring style suspension.

So in reality, it's going to fail, just a matter of time as those types of components (rubber/plastic) don't wear that well, especially in the conditions they have to operate in.

An extended warranty is more and more a good choice, though you'd need the 7 year one (since there's no more lifetime) to feel reasonably covered.

Users who are viewing this thread