5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Opinion

mbarnes536

Reaction score
I am looking to order a new 2020 Ram but I would like some peoples opinion on the air suspension. I have read that some people have had issues with it in very cold climates but since I am in WV I don't think I am going to have to worry about that.
  • Is it worth the money?
  • I will be towing a 26ft TT, does it help with towing?
  • Do you wish you did/didn't have it?
  • Any minor/major issues with it?

Phoon

Reaction score
I can't comment on towing, but i drive a standard spring sport and occasionally drive my fathers air suspension limited. The air suspension certainly has a few benifits.
1. ride quality is softer, but also more stable on the highway with air suspension.
2. adjustable ride height is nice, these trucks are very low on the front so its nice to be able to lift the truck even when driving in a grass field, ditch, going over a curb etc.
3. zero issues on the air suspension, even during the cold -30C for a month or two last winter.
4. steel springs are also very comfortable, and can be more comfortable at certain loads...the air suspension will pump up very stiff with weight in the box.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
There are a lot of threads on this already, but IMHO, I'd say it's worth every penny for the ride quality, ease of towing and trailer connection (drop the truck, back under the tongue, raise back up). It's also great for entry/exit if you have bad knees like me, and load-leveling.

-John

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I am looking to order a new 2020 Ram but I would like some peoples opinion on the air suspension. I have read that some people have had issues with it in very cold climates but since I am in WV I don't think I am going to have to worry about that.
  • Is it worth the money?
Only you can decide. Every time someone asks this, you will see hundreds of opposing answers.

In my case, I love the ability to raise and lower on demand. Specially lowering, if you ever find yourself entering a parking garage that might be borderline too low (happened to me a couple of months ago, and saved the day). Also, with a back injury, lowering is very handy when I need to get heavy stuff in and out of the bed.

Also nice to be able to raise it to clean wheel wells, etc.

In my case..:

• Is it worth the money? Yes
  • I will be towing a 26ft TT, does it help with towing? I don't tow
  • Do you wish you did/didn't have it? Wish it had different modes ie: sport/comfort
  • Any minor/major issues with it? None so far

airgas1998

Reaction score
I love it for the facts above, and that I can raise to or2 when changing oil and ee mode when filling or under the hood....oh yeah and when washing/drying vehicle also to ee mode ...

mbarnes536

Reaction score
I agree Neurobit, but I like to hear what other people think about it and what issues, if any, people have had.
Here is kind of an odd question, but if you had to change a tire or even route them, will it try to auto level or does it only do it when the truck is running?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree Neurobit, but I like to hear what other people think about it and what issues, if any, people have had.
Here is kind of an odd question, but if you had to change a tire or even route them, will it try to auto level or does it only do it when the truck is running?
When changing a tire you would put it in tire/jack mode so it stays put and won't try to auto correct itself.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ability to lower saved my bacon (or at least made me feel a lot better) in a parking garage earlier this week.
Ride quality is better for me in my test drives. Ride quality was why I went to RAM to begin with, and this won the wife over. YMMV
No issues thus far in the cold weather.

LouCap

Reaction score
  • Is it worth the money?

I have the air suspension on my Limited, and I love it. I used it just today in a parking garage that had a ceiling that was questionably low. Regarding the towing, I think it does make a difference. Once the trailer is hitched up the truck will self-level, which makes for a better driving experience for both you, AND the oncoming traffic. Trucks without rear airbags squat, so the approaching vehicles get blinded by your headlights. With the air suspension, it's a non-issue.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love mine. Rides great and backing underneath my boat trailer is the easiest thing ever. Lower the truck, back up under the hitch, raise the truck, hop out and lock it down. FWIW, boat is a 24ft Crownline, tows it easily and handles great.

mbarnes536

Reaction score
I have another question, directed to anyone that has a Limited with the Off-Road group.
  • Do you know if the ride quality is any different with the Extra HD Shocks? I currently drive a 2015 F350 so basically anything is an improvement. I did read another post and it seems to be mixed. Unfortunately there is no dealership close to me that has a Limited with ORG.
  • Is there a height difference? It says it adds a 1" suspension lift, I am unsure if it is like the Rebel where you only have 4 ride heights (Off-Road (OR), Normal Ride Height (NRH), Aero Mode, Entry/Exit Mode) and the normal and OR are 1" higher; compared to the normal 5 ride heights (Off-Road 2 (OR2), Off-Road 1 (OR1), Normal Ride Height (NRH), Aero Mode, Entry/Exit Mode).

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
IDK about ride quality since I don't have ORG. I do know that the ride height is indeed 1" higher.
Yes, just like the Rebel from what I have learned here. You basically only get OR2, since the truck std ride height is OR1, which on regular trucks is temporary (you get entry/exit, aero, normal (OR1), and OR2.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have another question, directed to anyone that has a Limited with the Off-Road group.
  • Do you know if the ride quality is any different with the Extra HD Shocks? I currently drive a 2015 F350 so basically anything is an improvement. I did read another post and it seems to be mixed. Unfortunately there is no dealership close to me that has a Limited with ORG.
  • Is there a height difference? It says it adds a 1" suspension lift, I am unsure if it is like the Rebel where you only have 4 ride heights (Off-Road (OR), Normal Ride Height (NRH), Aero Mode, Entry/Exit Mode) and the normal and OR are 1" higher; compared to the normal 5 ride heights (Off-Road 2 (OR2), Off-Road 1 (OR1), Normal Ride Height (NRH), Aero Mode, Entry/Exit Mode).
Mine's a Longhorn with air suspension and ORG (effectively the same as a Limited).

As to your first question: We discussed this eons ago, and I think those of us with both options came to the consensus that the ORG provides a stiffer ride, but the air suspension compensates for it. The end result is a firm but comfortable ride with a very "planted" feel. I think it's ideal for a truck.

On the second point, @Neurobit is correct that it raises "Normal" to the equivalent of "Off Road 1" on non-ORG trucks. The overall distance of travel for the air shocks is limited to 4", so this means the highest setting ("Off Road" on the Rebel and on trucks that have both AS and ORG, "Off Road 2" on non-Rebels that don't have the ORG) is the same for all (ignoring tire differences). This also means you have only 4 modes in a truck with both AS and ORG, just like the Rebel. In the owner's manual, just refer to the Rebel section regarding air suspension settings if you have a non-Rebel with both AS and ORG.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will weigh in on this one as I tow a variety of things.... I absolutely love the air suspension and it is one of my favorite items about the truck. Towing trailers (Boat, Car Hauler, Cargo, snowmobiles) is so much easier for connection and disconnection. The auto leveling is great and removes almost all of the squat. No issues with it during cold because it is a new designed system from the Gen 4 Ram trucks. However, the ride does change slightly during cold weather from what I have noticed and aero becomes more comfortable and normal is a little bit more rubbery.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I added air bags to my 4th Gen, for when I was towing my camper trailer - to be able to get the rear end of the truck back up to level.

I think the Air Suspension on my new truck would be extremely handy, to accomplish the same thing.

The Entry/Exit height definitely makes it easier to for me to pick up scuba tanks (especially double steels - they're 100 # when full) and put them in the back.

Also, my dad is 73 with bad knees and hips. E/E height (combined with my power running boards) will be very helpful for him to get in and out of my truck.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I added air bags to my 4th Gen, for when I was towing my camper trailer - to be able to get the rear end of the truck back up to level.

I think the Air Suspension on my new truck would be extremely handy, to accomplish the same thing.

The Entry/Exit height definitely makes it easier to for me to pick up scuba tanks (especially double steels - they're 100 # when full) and put them in the back.

Also, my dad is 73 with bad knees and hips. E/E height (combined with my power running boards) will be very helpful for him to get in and out of my truck.
Indeed. I use the E/E all the time when loading/unloading heavy/bulky items in and out of the bed. Very handy.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Indeed. I use the E/E all the time when loading/unloading heavy/bulky items in and out of the bed. Very handy.

Indeed. It's only a couple of inches, which doesn't sound like hardly anything, but I find the difference to be very noticeable.

Firebird

Reaction score
Having had both, I honestly can’t tell the difference in ride quality, however, I really did like the air suspension features. I can’t speak to towing, as I don’t tow anything any longer. I opted not to spend the money this go around.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I towed a 6x12 uhaul tandem for my son in his limited. It didn’t even squat the back when loaded and hooked up and that was with maybe 800# in contents plus the already heavy covered trailer. The load was slightly nose heavy like its supposed to be for handling but the truck didn't drop any that I could see. Course I didn't compare unhitched to hitched heights, it just wasn’t squatting. For a soft payload number truck I was impressed. I’m thinking the actual tongue weight was 300 ish pounds, certainly not much more.

Users who are viewing this thread