5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Lowering Kit?

Asphalt_slayer

Reaction score
So I've searched the forums as much as I could before asking this, but I can't seem to find a definite answer and need some help. I'm looking into buying a 2021 Limited Night Edition and from what I'm seeing is that the Limiteds have the air suspension. Are those suspensions able to be lowered? IHC's 3/5 kit doesn't say anything about not fitting the air suspension but it looks like some peeps on here haven't had luck lowering their limiteds. I know IHC, Maxtrac, and Bellteck all make kits but is the airride suspension able to be lowered any at all? I'm trying to decide between a limited or a larime and I definitely want that sport truck and sport suspension lowered look. Thanks again.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if your wanting to go lower limited is not the way to go i know with revel's links you can drop it lowwer than stock but im not sure what that translates into as far as a 3/5 etc.

this is about as good as a drop gets for air suspension on these trucks (that im aware of)

Asphalt_slayer

Reaction score
1badram I appreciate the info. Any idea about the quality of those links and if lowering the rear 2.5 in requires the limited to change the pinion angle?

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1badram I appreciate the info. Any idea about the quality of those links and if lowering the rear 2.5 in requires the limited to change the pinion angle?
I have the same links just extended to lift my truck. I’m not sure on the geometry when lowering. I assume it puts the truck close to the entry/exit setting when you use them? But keep in mind the trucks computer will not allow you to drive at entry exit mode it will self level to aero ride height. If you are wanting to do an aggressive drop I would steer clear of the air setup from mopar.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Wvmountaineer87

Reaction score
You can only go down about 1" in the rear with the air suspension because of the OEM bump stops. I chopped the bump stop cups and added Belltech 4923. This allowed me to adjust the rear links for 2" - 2.5" of drop. Next issue was OEM shocks bottoming out... I Replaced the rear shocks with the OEM front shocks from my 2020 Ram 3500, which have the exact same mounts on top & bottom, and are about 2" shorter compressed (14") This is the lowest I can go with the OEM airbags (OEM bags have an internal bump stop) and without control arms or relocation brackets. Truck currently sits almost 3" lower in rear and 1.5" lower in front and I'm still able to use every setting from entry/exit to offroad 2.

Attachments

• 4DA5F816-E2F0-420F-9379-D36508F8A6D3.jpeg
    4DA5F816-E2F0-420F-9379-D36508F8A6D3.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 99

mackorodoo

Reaction score
You can only go down about 1" in the rear with the air suspension because of the OEM bump stops. I chopped the bump stop cups and added Belltech 4923. This allowed me to adjust the rear links for 2" - 2.5" of drop. Next issue was OEM shocks bottoming out... I Replaced the rear shocks with the OEM front shocks from my 2020 Ram 3500, which have the exact same mounts on top & bottom, and are about 2" shorter compressed (14") This is the lowest I can go with the OEM airbags (OEM bags have an internal bump stop) and without control arms or relocation brackets. Truck currently sits almost 3" lower in rear and 1.5" lower in front and I'm still able to use every setting from entry/exit to offroad 2.
How is the ride quality at this height this is right around where id lime to be

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This.

Wvmountaineer87

Reaction score
How is the ride quality at this height this is right around where id lime to be
Ride quality in normal suspension mode is great. It’s a little soft in aero mode and will bottom out every now and then when I hit a nice WV hole in the middle of the interstate.

Qball814

Reaction score
Ok so i just ordered the rear lowering revel links for my ‘22 limited, i am looking to drop the rear within a 1/4-1/2” of the front to “level” it but to the rear (mainly for garage clearance but looks too)! Im going to need the belltech 4923 bumpstops to achieve this? I am not looking to lower the front at all. Just the rear.

Wvmountaineer87

Reaction score
Ok so i just ordered the rear lowering revel links for my ‘22 limited, i am looking to drop the rear within a 1/4-1/2” of the front to “level” it but to the rear (mainly for garage clearance but looks too)! Im going to need the belltech 4923 bumpstops to achieve this? I am not looking to lower the front at all. Just the rear.
Just adjust your links (shorter to lower the truck) until entry/exit fully compresses the oem bump stops. You can go lower if you chop them off and add the Belltech but your ride quality will suffer.

Qball814

Reaction score
Just adjust your links (shorter to lower the truck) until entry/exit fully compresses the oem bump stops. You can go lower if you chop them off and add the Belltech but your ride quality will suffer.
I really want it for entry/exit to my garage because of the antenna is close(like my ‘16 was) but also for looks parked in entry mode. Since it doesn’t drive there would it be noticeable ride wise? How often do they hit the bump stop?

Wvmountaineer87

Reaction score
I really want it for entry/exit to my garage because of the antenna is close(like my ‘16 was) but also for looks parked in entry mode. Since it doesn’t drive there would it be noticeable ride wise? How often do they hit the bump stop?
You’re lowering the truck throughout every setting, so it does reduce airbag pressure and softens the rear suspension. Before I chopped the factory bump stops I had links adjusted so they would completely bottom out on the axle and in aero mode, I rarely bottomed out. After removing the oem stops and going down around another inch, the bags were pretty much empty in aero mode, so it was bottoming out on the internal stops inside the airbags quite a bit.

Qball814

Reaction score
You’re lowering the truck throughout every setting, so it does reduce airbag pressure and softens the rear suspension. Before I chopped the factory bump stops I had links adjusted so they would completely bottom out on the axle and in aero mode, I rarely bottomed out. After removing the oem stops and going down around another inch, the bags were pretty much empty in aero mode, so it was bottoming out on the internal stops inside the airbags quite a bit.
Oh I was under the impression that the air pressure stayed the same in all settings as the links “tricked” the system and it just sat lower.

Qball814

Reaction score
installed the links last night, took a good bit of tweaking because it kept putting itself into tire jack mode because it was too low i guess. Finally got it set to lay on the factory bumps in entry/exit mode (apx. 1.5" lower) with no issues. Drove the truck this morning apx 45 miles and all seems well thus far. I will probably be getting the Belltec 4923 bumps eventually for alittle more drop. How is your towing effected with your drop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/