5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Longevity?

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
Hey guys, second post here,

In the market and close to pulling the trigger on a new 2019 1500. One of the worries I had was the air suspension option for the truck. I'm someone who uses a car till the engine dies so reliability is a big factor. How do you think the air suspension will fare (any issues thus far)...and is it that much smoother than the regular coils? The main reason im considering it is for lowering it to enter my garage and raising it for some light offroading. Also, what is the total difference in height from the lowest setting to the highest?? I also live in British Columbia and travel often to the surrounding places so weather is quite bad (snow, rain, mud, rocks, dust, sand) if that plays a factor in anyway!

Thanks in advance,
Victor

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Smoothness is very subjective. You should test drive both. I did and the air ride was a must have.

Older gens have had issues in cold weather but many have not so hard to say.

I also purchased Mopar lifetime maximum care warranty for added protection

Total added height is 2” over non air ride without the off road package.

But there are speed limit thresholds to the extra height. I believe around 25mph for 2” and 45mpj for 1” above normal height.

Lowest is 2” below normal for entry/exit.

19 streak

Reaction score
I have a 19 sport (Canadian truck) I didn't order the truck with air ride but it showed up with it. I had the option to reorder and wait or keep the one with air. I decided to keep the one with air even though i was hesitant. Now that I've had my trucks there are a few things that I like and a few that i could live without. To start, the lowering capabilities with entry/exit mode are nice for loading stuff in the truck and to help my kids get in easier. I have found i rarely use the offroad modes because the speed settings are almost useless and it just defaults back to normal mode. I LOVE the leveling feature when pulling a trailer or any weight in the box. That is probably my favorite feature. I will say, I think my 18 sport with coil suspension is much smoother but I've heard the 19 air ride is alittle more rigid but I don't have a comparison. Sorry for the long winded story but that's my fair opinion. I am almost dead even at 50 percent love it /could live without it

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BC has a pretty high average temp so weather shouldn't play into the longevity of the air ride too much. That being said, air ride is a completely different animal than coil suspension and a lot more can go wrong with it at considerable expense after warranty. It's extremely usefull and versatile in a lot of different scenarios. Some 5th Gen owners have noticed the 5th Gen air ride has been snugged up a bit and feels more solid than the sailboat sensation some complained of on the 4th Gen.

You need to test drive both and be really honest about your needs and what trim level speaks to you the most.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This might give me some peace of mind. Mind me asking how much your paying for this warranty?

Cheers,
Victor
$2,745 for 200 deductible lifetime Mopar maximum care.

I heard Mopar will stop selling this on 11/30/18.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unfortunately we don't have the lifetime one in Canada. Wish we did.

BiLlYDeE

Reaction score
I called Zeigler yesterday (11/21) to verify that the Lifetime Warranty is expiring at the end of November. They confirmed this. I explained to them that I had a VIN but have not yet taken delivery of my truck. They ran my VIN and verified that I could still purchase the Lifetime Warranty anytime between now and November 30. I bought it today although it feels a little strange buying a warranty for a truck I don’t currently possess :). I bought the Lifetime warranty with $200 deductible for $2,900.

A side note: I asked if the warranty could stay with the truck if I re-title it to my 6-year old son when he turns 16 (assuming he wants it in 10 years!). They said yes as long as I list him as the additional warranty holder. Done!

drsubie

Reaction score
I've heard or read somewhere that air ride suspensions longevity = ~10 yrs +/-. Rubber bladders eventually wear out. But the auto level feature when towing/hauling is cool.

Keep in mind that your typical shock/spring is a wear item also...

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I called Zeigler yesterday (11/21) to verify that the Lifetime Warranty is expiring at the end of November. They confirmed this. I explained to them that I had a VIN but have not yet taken delivery of my truck. They ran my VIN and verified that I could still purchase the Lifetime Warranty anytime between now and November 30. I bought it today although it feels a little strange buying a warranty for a truck I don’t currently possess :). I bought the Lifetime warranty with $200 deductible for $2,900.

A side note: I asked if the warranty could stay with the truck if I re-title it to my 6-year old son when he turns 16 (assuming he wants it in 10 years!). They said yes as long as I list him as the additional warranty holder. Done!

I bought the lifetime with a 100 dollar deductible for 2950. Did you use any coupons with Zeigler? Like payinfull for 365 dollar credit?

BiLlYDeE

Reaction score
I bought the lifetime with a 100 dollar deductible for 2950. Did you use any coupons with Zeigler? Like payinfull for 365 dollar credit?

They gave me the $365 “PAYINFULL” credit ... maybe the cost went up $40 with the recent increase I’ve read on other threads.

Users who are viewing this thread