5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Leveling & Notes - Fitting 35" Tires on a RAM DT

kjuricek

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've seen a lot of posts around this top, so just wanted to help pull everything together for anyone that has experienced the same rollercoaster of solutions that I have when trying to level your RAM 1500 DT so you can fit 35's on. Here's how the truck started off:

2019 RAM 1500 DT Limited 4x4 w/Limited 22" Wheels
285/45R22 Nitto Terra Grapplers (factory size)
No prior modifications to air suspension or ride.

Please note, I do not claim to be proficient nor any kind of an expert when changing settings on these trucks. This is simply a hobby of mine that has turned into a MUCH longer project than I planned. Hopefully, I will save people some time, money, and maybe some frustration and not-needed cursing...

Revel’s Adjustable Links
I started with Revel's Adjustable Links kit - front & rear.
2019-2024 RAM Adjustable Air Suspension Links For Lowering

Overall, good product, recommended use. However, using these to raise the truck will only take away height from OF2 and stiffen the ride due to the increased pressure in the air bags. Not recommended for a long-term solution. Some other threads that discuss this are:
Air Ride with DAYSTAR and REVEL Links!

ReadyLIFT 1.5” Leveling Kit
In order to retail all (5) height settings (Entry/Exit, Aero, Normal, OF1, OF2), the ReadyLIFT 1.5” Leveling Kit with Upper Control Arms for RAMs with Air Suspensions was recommended.
1.5'' Leveling Kit With Tubular Upper Control Arms Factory Air Suspension
I had this installed professionally that way they could realign the truck and make sure minimal nitrogen (if any) was lost during the installation. Definitely the best solution and recommended if you’re looking to upgrade your suspension. The downside is that it’s typically around $1,300 out the door, and the kit appears to raise the front a little too far and can give the truck a slight “squatting” appearance as the rear will look lower than the front. Not to mention the “Service Air Suspension” alert would trigger when driving for more than ½ mile in OF2 mode. This was the next challenge…

Some other threads that discuss this are:
Air Suspension Leveling Kit - Ready lift Vs. Revel Performance (Air Links / Spacer)

Tires
After (and I can not stress this enough…) TONS of research on KO2’s, Baja Bosses, Recon Grapplers, Toyo AT3’s & R/T Trail’s, and Wildpeak AT3W’s & AT4W’s, AND loads of different sizing options:
  • 305 /45 R22
  • 33x12.50 R22
  • 33x12.50 R22
  • 295 /50 R22
  • 285 /55 R22
I ended up with the Baja Boss 285 /55 R22’s. Some pluses really quick in hopes of saving some people some time (and maybe some money):
  • Overall diameter = 34.5” (close enough to 35’s)
  • Tire width = same as factory = no rubbing = no spacers needed = helping your wheel bearings and reducing preventative maintenance
  • Downside = no KO2’s…
  • Total increased weight = 22 lbs. per tire
  • Terra Grappler weight per tire = 46 lbs.
  • Baja Boss weight per tire = 68 lbs.
Overall, they look fantastic and do not have much (if any) road noise despite Mickey Thompson’s reputation. Their reinforced sidewall is also very helpful when driving in parts of west Texas where you might run into thorns and sharp rocks. The downside is the increased tire weight. They are noticeably heavier than the Terra Grappler and OEM Goodyear Eagles that the truck came with. Overall verdict = no regrets!

33 x 12.5 on factory 22s

Dealership Air Suspension Calibration
My first solution was (what seemed to be) the be most obvious: Have the dealership recalibrate the air settings to help bring up the rear and clear the “Service Air Suspension” alert. Although they did a great job and the alert completely went away $400 later, the truck arrived with an even greater “squatting” appearance. In fact, the front was up to 40” from fender to floor and 38.5” from fender to floor in the rear. Quite the opposite from what I was looking for. I think most threads I’ve read on this forum have actually recommended NOT taking it into the dealership so…shame on me…

AirLinks Suspension
Although Revel Adjustable Links were good, they were relatively expensive, and did not feel like they were secured to the ball joint well enough. This time, I decided to go with AirLinks Suspension Rear-Only Adjustable Links:
2019+ Ram 1500 (Select a Kit: Lift Rear Only)
I was able to increase from the factory end-to-end link measurements of 84 mm to 100 mm which brought the truck up almost a full 2.0” and still managed to retain all (5) height settings (Entry/Exit, Aero, Normal, OF1, OF2) without receiving any alerts. At the end, at “Normal” height setting, I measured 40” from fender to floor in the front (no change), and 40.5” from fender to floor in the rear. Success!

With regards to Revel vs. AirLinks Suspension: I definitely recommend AirLinks due to their ball joint grip (you have to get a wrench to free the links from the suspension ball joints) and they are able to be tighten in such a way that they will not come loose and change lengths. This coupled with the cost factor and how much more affordable they are (and by this point, I was starting to see costs STACK…), this is definitely a top-tier product.

AlfaOBD and Computer System Changes
Another solution if you are looking to raise the truck is to change the factory preset levels on the computer. To do this, you will need download AlfaOBD (typically runs $50 per installation), an OBDLink with Bluetooth capability (I recommend the OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Scanner - $140), and a security bypass adaptor to access these settings (the factory plug in that the dealership uses will block this attempt).
For instructions on how to hook up the OBD2 Scanner:

For instructions on how to change the height pre-programmed settings:

AlfaOBD Known Changes 5th Gen
AlfaOBD Suspension “Set Ride Height Level”
Air Suspension Leveling AlfaOBD

Anyway, hope this helps! This is my first post, so I’m hopeful that I’ve helped some of you as you have been very helpful for me and help educate me along the way. If you find any other posts related to the topic (as I'm certain there are several) feel free to add them to this conversation thread.

Stay Safe!

Attachments

• RAM1.jpg
    RAM1.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 38

Users who are viewing this thread