5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension in colder climates

loc8or

Reaction score
Last winter mine failed. It was about -28F. Sat outside for 2 days. After having to walk up to truck, get in and start it (cold remote /starting issue), I left and noticed it seemed very rough. Got out and looked at truck and the whole rear end was waayy low. There was zero suspension in the rear. Front was fine. Tried to raise and lower it with no luck. drove it(slowly) and continued to try raise/lower it. No luck. Was deep in the woods and just wanted to get out of there being it was so cold. Got to a gas station, shut truck off, went inside. Came back out, started it, and could feel rear end rising. Low and behold everything was fine. Guessing it reset and was all good. Just hoping that never happens again. Lesson learned, shut it off and see if it resets! 2020 limited w/12k miles

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Last winter mine failed. It was about -28F. Sat outside for 2 days. After having to walk up to truck, get in and start it (cold remote /starting issue), I left and noticed it seemed very rough. Got out and looked at truck and the whole rear end was waayy low. There was zero suspension in the rear. Front was fine. Tried to raise and lower it with no luck. drove it(slowly) and continued to try raise/lower it. No luck. Was deep in the woods and just wanted to get out of there being it was so cold. Got to a gas station, shut truck off, went inside. Came back out, started it, and could feel rear end rising. Low and behold everything was fine. Guessing it reset and was all good. Just hoping that never happens again. Lesson learned, shut it off and see if it resets! 2020 limited w/12k miles
That's what IT always asks when you have computer problems..."Have you tried turning it off and back on?" LOL

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Last winter mine failed. It was about -28F. Sat outside for 2 days. After having to walk up to truck, get in and start it (cold remote /starting issue), I left and noticed it seemed very rough. Got out and looked at truck and the whole rear end was waayy low. There was zero suspension in the rear. Front was fine. Tried to raise and lower it with no luck. drove it(slowly) and continued to try raise/lower it. No luck. Was deep in the woods and just wanted to get out of there being it was so cold. Got to a gas station, shut truck off, went inside. Came back out, started it, and could feel rear end rising. Lo and behold everything was fine. Guessing it reset and was all good. Just hoping that never happens again. Lesson learned, shut it off and see if it resets! 2020 limited w/12k miles
That almost sounds like the (known) issue where a truck lowered to E/E mode will stay there (sometimes) after a remote start. It’s almost like the computer can get confused if systems boot up in an unexpected order. Glad it was a one-off for you.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Forgot to update this, and here we are coming up on another winter. Had zero issues with my Air Ride last winter. Truck has about 23k KMS on it currently and it's been great. I guess we'll see after winter #2. Fingers crossed🤞
Update on this being winter #3 now. No issues whatsoever. Last winter I frequently parked my truck at the airport for 2 weeks at a time, often in deep freeze conditions (not heated or covered parking) and never had any issues. This winter I'm spoiled and have heated parking but still haven't had any issues. Holding up much better than I hoped. Knock on wood🪵

Pertzbro

Reaction score
With this recent cold shock I've seen a Ram and a jeep driving around town with zero, and I mean zero air in the bags. Granted i think both were previous generations and not the current ones. We're at below zero for 4 straight days. -20 for 48 hours.. not counting wind chills. Single digit highs all week, double digit negatives all week.

Users who are viewing this thread