5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Help- 2019 Limited

GSD222

Reaction score
I have been trying to track down what I assumed is a leak in my 2019 Limited with the air suspension. Spent hours under the truck with a spray bottle unable to find anything. Ended up setting up AlfaOBD, and gave the system a fresh charge of nitrogen since I had a couple leaks I took care of when I first bought the truck. I'm wondering if these readings are indicative of a bad air ride sensor, leaking air shock, or something else.
Level Sensors & Calibration:
Level Calibration Completed: Yes
Front Left Ride Height Sensor: -7.92 mm
Front Left Ride Height Solenoid Duty Cycle: 49 %
Front Right Ride Height Sensor: 4.69 mm
Front Right Ride Height Solenoid Duty Cycle: 43 %
Rear Left Ride Height Sensor: 3.19 mm
Rear Left Ride Height Solenoid Duty Cycle: 51 %
Rear Right Ride Height Sensor: 2.88 mm
Rear Right Ride Height Solenoid Duty Cycle: 55 %
Front Left Calibration Offset (Raw): 142
Front Left Calibration Offset: 254 mm
Front Right Calibration Offset (Raw): 142
Front Right Calibration Offset: 27 mm
Rear Left Calibration Offset (Raw): 115
Rear Left Calibration Offset: 254 mm
Rear Right Calibration Offset (Raw): 114
Rear Right Calibration Offset: 243 mm
In-Plant Service Completed: Yes
Dealership Service Completed: Yes

Bussed Outputs (Levels & Adjustments):
Front Left Level: -7 mm
Front Right Level: 4 mm
Front Left Level Adjusting Status: Off
Front Right Level Adjusting Status: Off
Rear Left Level Adjusting Status: Off
Rear Right Level Adjusting Status: Off
Rear Left Level: 3 mm
Rear Right Level: 2 mm

ThatAirRideThough

Reaction score
I have been trying to track down what I assumed is a leak in my 2019 Limited with the air suspension. Spent hours under the truck with a spray bottle unable to find anything. Ended up setting up AlfaOBD, and gave the system a fresh charge of nitrogen since I had a couple leaks I took care of when I first bought the truck. I'm wondering if these readings are indicative of a bad air ride sensor, leaking air shock, or something else.
Level Sensors & Calibration:
Front Left Ride Height Sensor: -7.92 mm
Front Left Ride Height Solenoid Duty Cycle: 49 %
Front Right Ride Height Sensor: 4.69 mm
Front Right Ride Height Solenoid Duty Cycle: 43 %
Rear Left Ride Height Sensor: 3.19 mm
Rear Left Ride Height Solenoid Duty Cycle: 51 %
Rear Right Ride Height Sensor: 2.88 mm
Rear Right Ride Height Solenoid Duty Cycle: 55 %
Front Left Calibration Offset (Raw): 142
Front Left Calibration Offset: 254 mm
Front Right Calibration Offset (Raw): 142
Front Right Calibration Offset: 27 mm
Rear Left Calibration Offset (Raw): 115
Rear Left Calibration Offset: 254 mm
Rear Right Calibration Offset (Raw): 114
Rear Right Calibration Offset: 243 mm
In-Plant Service Completed: Yes
Dealership Service Completed: Yes

Bussed Outputs (Levels & Adjustments):
Front Left Level: -7 mm
Front Right Level: 4 mm
Front Left Level Adjusting Status: Off
Front Right Level Adjusting Status: Off
Rear Left Level Adjusting Status: Off
Rear Right Level Adjusting Status: Off
Rear Left Level: 3 mm
Rear Right Level: 2 mm
Did you ever find a resolution for this? I might be headed down the same road you are.
Also curious, can you share what your nitrogen setup looks like? Curious what the tank, connector and gauge setup looks like.

Might order an AlphaOBD soon, as I’ve noticed I keep getting air purge sounds every five minutes or so and the ride just seems super stiff.

What sorta symptoms are you experiencing?
Thanks!

GSD222

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been traveling for a bit and just got home. I haven't 100% identified a solution yet, although I can offer some amateur guidance at least.

I notice you said you get the air purge noise pretty often. Is your compressor running consistently? I know it can be hard to hear when you're driving but at idle if it's running when you start you're truck then I would guess you have a leak somewhere.

The first thing to do would be to hit all your lines and connectors with a spray bottle of soapy water. I actually had a leak in both of my front connectors (where the air lines go into the front shocks) right after I bought my truck and it was easy to find using that method. The two nitrogen storage tanks are located up above where your spare tire is mounted under the truck. You can find the compressor and the start of the air lines on the passenger side in the back. Once you find them it's easy to follow where they go and find the connecting points. I sprayed all my connections and the air bags with soapy water and have been unable to find a leak.

Since I was unable to locate a leak I decided to refill my system and include some UV dye as well to attempt to find a possible leak. I also turned off aero mode and have just left my truck in normal mode since the refill. After 5 or so days of driving I didn't really have noticeable loss of pressure in the system and couldn't find UV dye that had leaked out anywhere. After getting back into town from traveling I had to replace my leaky radiator before driving my truck, and when I took it for a drive last night the compressor ran quite a bit at start-up and I got the air purge noise once or twice, but it worked fine after. If I had to guess at this point I might have a slow leak on my front left air shock or a bad sensor on the front left. AlfaOBD allows you to test each air shock and the operation times out on the front driver's side every time I try to run it. It verifies that the other 3 work correctly pretty quickly.

I highly recommend AlfaOBD but I'm pretty novice with it at this point. I've owned and worked on a bunch of old Land Cruisers before this truck so it's definitely an adjustment having access to all this technology. If you invest in it make sure you read up on it ahead of time and save a file with your default settings in case you accidentally mess anything up.

For the Nitrogen tank set up, I am lucky in that my father in law owned a welding supply store and can get me nitrogen anytime I need it. He gave me the nitrogen tank and a regulator to go with it, so I just needed to get an a/c manifold gauge set, as the connector fits right on the truck. It was a cheap set from Amazon. Let me know if you'd like pictures of anything else specifically but here's a few shots of my set-up:
IMG_5998.jpg IMG_5999.jpg IMG_6001.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread