5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Fix?

A4Owner

Reaction score
I saw some video, sorry cannot recall the source, where the dude pops off the passenger's side rear tail light assembly...unplugs a tube...squirts in a few drops of some air brake line de icer...and then claims that this is THE fix for a/s issues in cold weather climates. The thing I obviously want to know is whether this is true and whether guys in cold climates can confirm this? Secondly, isn't this a closed system? Wouldn't opening up some tube let all the air leak out and cause the entire system to get effed up?

Arth

Reaction score
I saw some video, sorry cannot recall the source, where the dude pops off the passenger's side rear tail light assembly...unplugs a tube...squirts in a few drops of some air brake line de icer...and then claims that this is THE fix for a/s issues in cold weather climates. The thing I obviously want to know is whether this is true and whether guys in cold climates can confirm this? Secondly, isn't this a closed system? Wouldn't opening up some tube let all the air leak out and cause the entire system to get effed up?

While I can't confirm of the fix I can confirm that there is a tube behind the tail light as a blow off valve for the system. To my knowledge it is a closed system until it runs low then it'll pull as needed.

Could be wrong.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is nitrogen filled, so if there is a leak then after it is repaired, then it has to be refilled with nitrogen. Outside air has moisture, so it would contaminate the system, and the air lines could freeze up. Truckers use airline anti freeze because they use outside air. I had a Pac-Air exhaust brake and air rear suspension on my Duramax and never had a problem down to zero. But the compressor was under the hood, so had some heat when running.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have people actually been having problems with their 5th Gen air suspension systems?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I didn't think so. I see a lot of threads that seem to assume there will be though. I have an air ride on a 2004 Towncar that still works fine. I do expect the old airbags to go at some point, but really.... I just figured the 5th Gen Ram has to be more sophisticated than the old Linc.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I didn't think so. I see a lot of threads that seem to assume there will be though. I have an air ride on a 2004 Towncar that still works fine. I do expect the old airbags to go at some point, but really.... I just figured the 5th Gen Ram has to be more sophisticated than the old Linc.
I read that people on 4th gen had some problems in Canada, but nothing widespread for the 5th gen.
Obviously some people have problems but it's not a common problem from what I can tell.

6of36

Reaction score
My normal write up person told me that they still see a lot in Michigan winters. Said they see a lot of system removals.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My normal write up person told me that they still see a lot in Michigan winters. Said they see a lot of system removals.
Mine has seen several Texas summers and Michigan winters thus far without issue…knock on wood.

Burns1200

Reaction score
I read that people on 4th gen had some problems in Canada, but nothing widespread for the 5th gen.
Obviously some people have problems but it's not a common problem from what I can tell.
I'm on my 2nd air ride truck in Canada. Let's say 4 winters for fun. I'm pretty far south compared to most of country (About 1 hour from Michigan and 2 hours from New York) Only issues I've had with the system in the winter is going to work at 5am If I get fast enough for the truck to drop to areo mode, it might throw an error on the dash and by the time I leave work theres no codes. It could just be somethings cold or frozen and warmed up during the day or what but nothing lasting on either truck

6of36

Reaction score
Mine has seen several Texas summers and Michigan winters thus far without issue…knock on wood.
My buddy that has it has had no problems either. My Limited will have it. If it does go bad, it can be changed over, if it is something major. I was just stating that my write up person mentioned to me, that they do see a number of issues. That doesn't give any idea of the percentage that have issues either. It's nothing that I'm going to worry enough that I didn't get a Limited.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think that was with the 4th gen. My 2021 has not had a problem in the NH winters.

Malodave

6of36

Reaction score
I have an appointment for a recall, on my Durango, next week. I will ask them if it was just 4th gens. I was just assuming that now that they are in the 5th year of 5th gens, she was talking current models.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
4th gens definitely had issues. Rebels all had air suspension in 4th gens, and the Rebel forums I used to frequent were full of threads about failures with the system. I've been a member here since the end of 2019 and I only remember reading a couple of threads where people complained about issues with their air suspension. At least so far it doesn't seem to be an issue on 5th gens like it is on 4th gens.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think they did such a poor job with the Air Suspensions on the 4th Gen DS trucks that it has given the 5th gen DT bad PR that doesn't seem to be going away, despite the actual stellar results.

This is a forum. We'd hear the slightest of grumblings. It's been crickets since I've joined.

As always, expectation management goes a long way.
Hauling and ride benefits, you bet.
Off Road bashing, probably not a good fit (don't tell Jeep).

Users who are viewing this thread