5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Feels Wobbly, Suggestions?

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Some of you may have seen some of my other posts having to do with my botched paint job and buy back. For the buy back, I dropped the eTorque and added Air Suspension. So far, absolutely loving my decision to drop the eTorque, but the Air Suspension is a little iffy. Since my previous ride had coils, and I put over 3k miles on it, I have a very good basis for comparison. There's quite a big difference.

The issue I am having is that the truck just feels wobbly. Hard to explain, but when the road surface is uneven or has little bumps that should just be soaked up by the suspension, it seems to result in a wobbly feeling. I literally feel like a bobble head doll. The movement is over exagerated and it feels like you have to force your head to stay still. It feels unnatural. My previous truck just had the coils and it rode amazing. Very planted and very smooth. No issues like this at all. But, I also tow a lot and I really like the auto leveling feature of the Air. I'm definitely not regretting my decision in that regard, I am hugely benefiting from this and wouldn't go so far as to say I would want to go back to coils...yet. I just need to figure this one issue out and I'll be good to go.

I've just ordered the Hellwig adjustable rear sway bar to see if that will tighten things up. This morning, I'm going to go out and start experimenting with tire pressures and see if that helps as well. Any suggestions on pressures? Would higher or lower pressures offer a more planted feel? Or is it all just trial and error?

Unlike others, that seem to be complaining that their Air is too stiff and rides like a dump truck, mine just feels loose. The firmness seems fine, just isn't planted and the entire body just seems to wobble and move more than it should. I know this probably isn't the issue, but the feeling I get would be as if the suspension wasn't fully bolted to the frame. It soaks up the bumps straight on, as you'd expect. But, anything that causes sway is way over exaggerated and in a way that would make you think the whole frame is moving around.

This forum has been a great help to me so far, so I thought I'd reach out again and see if anyone out there can offer up some much appreciated advice. Thanks in advance!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some of you may have seen some of my other posts having to do with my botched paint job and buy back. For the buy back, I dropped the eTorque and added Air Suspension. So far, absolutely loving my decision to drop the eTorque, but the Air Suspension is a little iffy. Since my previous ride had coils, and I put over 3k miles on it, I have a very good basis for comparison. There's quite a big difference.

The issue I am having is that the truck just feels wobbly. Hard to explain, but when the road surface is uneven or has little bumps that should just be soaked up by the suspension, it seems to result in a wobbly feeling. I literally feel like a bobble head doll. The movement is over exagerated and it feels like you have to force your head to stay still. It feels unnatural. My previous truck just had the coils and it rode amazing. Very planted and very smooth. No issues like this at all. But, I also tow a lot and I really like the auto leveling feature of the Air. I'm definitely not regretting my decision in that regard, I am hugely benefiting from this and wouldn't go so far as to say I would want to go back to coils...yet. I just need to figure this one issue out and I'll be good to go.

I've just ordered the Hellwig adjustable rear sway bar to see if that will tighten things up. This morning, I'm going to go out and start experimenting with tire pressures and see if that helps as well. Any suggestions on pressures? Would higher or lower pressures offer a more planted feel? Or is it all just trial and error?

Unlike others, that seem to be complaining that their Air is too stiff and rides like a dump truck, mine just feels loose. The firmness seems fine, just isn't planted and the entire body just seems to wobble and move more than it should. I know this probably isn't the issue, but the feeling I get would be as if the suspension wasn't fully bolted to the frame. It soaks up the bumps straight on, as you'd expect. But, anything that causes sway is way over exaggerated and in a way that would make you think the whole frame is moving around.

This forum has been a great help to me so far, so I thought I'd reach out again and see if anyone out there can offer up some much appreciated advice. Thanks in advance!

I can't relate to your feeling here but I also have the ORG. I will tell you that tire pressure makes a big difference on my 20" wheels with the ORG Falkens. Came from dealer around 34 and that was just too low, especially looking at the sidewall flex on the fronts (I've got a heavy build due to options.) I played around with 44 in the front but that was too much but it did give it much more of a planted feel. I'm now using 40F/36R and that is a great Goldilocks setting for my truck.

From what you are experiencing, I'd go into the 40's up front and drive it some to see if that eliminates or reduces what you're experiencing and then you can tweak from there.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Unlike others, that seem to be complaining that their Air is too stiff and rides like a dump truck, mine just feels loose. The firmness seems fine, just isn't planted and the entire body just seems to wobble and move more than it should. I know this probably isn't the issue, but the feeling I get would be as if the suspension wasn't fully bolted to the frame. It soaks up the bumps straight on, as you'd expect. But, anything that causes sway is way over exaggerated and in a way that would make you think the whole frame is moving around."

Your description does sound like you might have something loose on your suspension. I can't recall seeing any posts with the symptoms you describe, and every air-suspension Ram 1500 I ever test-drove, whether Gen-4 or Gen-5, felt perfectly planted and smooth, no bobble-head-doll action as you described. I hope you have access to a good service department near you, it sounds like it might take a little sleuthing to get to the bottom of it. It could be one of many different suspension components/subsystems causing it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't relate to your feeling here but I also have the ORG. I will tell you that tire pressure makes a big difference on my 20" wheels with the ORG Falkens. Came from dealer around 34 and that was just too low, especially looking at the sidewall flex on the fronts (I've got a heavy build due to options.) I played around with 44 in the front but that was too much but it did give it much more of a planted feel. I'm now using 40F/36R and that is a great Goldilocks setting for my truck.

From what you are experiencing, I'd go into the 40's up front and drive it some to see if that eliminates or reduces what you're experiencing and then you can tweak from there.
I was going to post a similar response, as I also have the ORP and a heavy truck. Your point about tire pressure is a good one.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Higher pressures helped, but didn't completely solve it. I think I'll try the new sway bar next, before getting the dealer involved.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Got the new sway bar installed today. Drove it several miles to see how I liked it. Felt better. I'll need more time with it before I can know for certain.

I went with the middle hole to help ensure I'd feel something different. It tightened it up in sharp turns significantly. I'll probably try the inner most hole after a couple days. I want to make certain I am used to the current setting before I change it up again, so I know I am or am not feeling any difference.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would it have, or is it still, possible for you to test drive another truck with air suspension to compare? I have air suspension and have not experienced anything like what you are describing on my RAM. On the other hand, I have had that "floating" feeling in an old Lincoln Town Car with air suspension. I would think something is amiss.

Overlander

Reaction score
Got the new sway bar installed today. Drove it several miles to see how I liked it. Felt better. I'll need more time with it before I can know for certain.

I went with the middle hole to help ensure I'd feel something different. It tightened it up in sharp turns significantly. I'll probably try the inner most hole after a couple days. I want to make certain I am used to the current setting before I change it up again, so I know I am or am not feeling any difference.

Rototerrier,

Any update on this? I am experiencing the same "wobble" with my air-suspended Limited and it is absolutely driving me crazy. Seems to come and go. Been experiencing this since ~400 miles...now at 2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Rototerrier,

Any update on this? I am experiencing the same "wobble" with my air-suspended Limited and it is absolutely driving me crazy. Seems to come and go. Been experiencing this since ~400 miles...now at 2500.

Inner most hole on the hellwig solved my whole issue. Much more solid feel. I never even think about it and more.

768mph

Reaction score
Inner most hole on the hellwig solved my whole issue. Much more solid feel. I never even think about it and more.

Air suspension here, same issue.

Thank you and will be purchasing a Hellwig bar!

tal822

Reaction score
I was also having the wobbly suspension from the air suspension system. I installed the Hellwig Sway Bar and its amazing how much this bar covers up the wobble of the vehicle! The inner most hole is the way top go.

Users who are viewing this thread