5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Anxiety

A4Owner

Reaction score
I know this issue has probably been covered numerous times on other threads but are the air suspension systems in the Generation 5 rams really better then air suspension systems in the Generation 4 rams. By "better" I specifically, 100% mean cold weather reliability? I live in Ontario Canada and it can easily hit well below freezing for several days where I'm at. What's more, I don't drive a ton so there will for sure be days when the rig just sits there freezing. Should I be worried? Was the a/s legit upgraded in late model Gen 5 years? And I guess more specifically, does anyone know what the upgrade or redesign was? Sales people like to toss around words like upgraded or re-designed...but that really doesn't tell me about what was re-designed???

liq001

Reaction score
I know this issue has probably been covered numerous times on other threads but are the air suspension systems in the Generation 5 rams really better then air suspension systems in the Generation 4 rams. By "better" I specifically, 100% mean cold weather reliability? I live in Ontario Canada and it can easily hit well below freezing for several days where I'm at. What's more, I don't drive a ton so there will for sure be days when the rig just sits there freezing. Should I be worried? Was the a/s legit upgraded in late model Gen 5 years? And I guess more specifically, does anyone know what the upgrade or redesign was? Sales people like to toss around words like upgraded or re-designed...but that really doesn't tell me about what was re-designed???
I have 2022 limited truck with air suspension. I live in Ohio, and these days the temperature is well below zero (-21 degree C). The suspension hold up very well. I left my truck outside for 7 days. Just for your info

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I live in Minnesota and work in very cold winter conditions all winter. This is my second winter and no problems at all. When it's really cold you can hear the compressor working harder. I don't put my truck in entry/exit mode when its really cold to help the compressor out.
Tom

U

User_18352

I've had no issues with the air suspension on my current RAM or my previous one (2019 DT Limited), i'm in Halifax, NS.
I do hear a lot of horror stories from owners in Western Canada (AB, SK) about having serious issues with the air suspension on their DT's.
I feel like there has to be some connection between the low relative humidity in the colder months in the West and Air Suspension failures.

A4Owner

Reaction score
I've had no issues with the air suspension on my current RAM or my previous one (2019 DT Limited), i'm in Halifax, NS.
I do hear a lot of horror stories from owners in Western Canada (AB, SK) about having serious issues with the air suspension on their DT's.
I feel like there has to be some connection between the low relative humidity in the colder months in the West and Air Suspension failures.
That's actually a great point. I thought I noticed a trend with more failures in Edmonton (huge truck town) super cold like way more than Ontario but also zero humidity, super dry cold: may-be it cracks or dries out rubber seals in addition to effing with the copmressor.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in Norther Colorado....recent transplant from Boston, we hit -24 degrees 2 weeks ago during that cold snap that rocked the country. No issues at all. The truck has been through 3 winters now, with plenty of cold....flawless.

Rump2022

Reaction score
2022 Ram Limited 1500. I just purchased my new Ram and already having trouble with the air suspension. Only 1800 km on the truck. Brought it to the dealer and they can’t find a problem with it. The suspension completely deflates within 3 to 4 hours. So now I’m stuck dealing with a piece of **** truck. Guess I’ll be at the dealers a lot dealing with this. I’m in Manitoba.

Rump2022

Reaction score
No not any better, I live in Manitoba and just bought a 2022 limited. 1800 km on the truck and already having trouble with the suspension completely deflating. Dealer says the truck checks out ok.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No not any better, I live in Manitoba and just bought a 2022 limited. 1800 km on the truck and already having trouble with the suspension completely deflating. Dealer says the truck checks out ok.
The DT systems have been alot more reliable than the previous versions.

A4Owner

Reaction score
If the dealer says its okay could it be that you have some deflate setting on the computer set? Stupid question sure, but these things had tons of menus on that 12 inch screen.

Rump2022

Reaction score
If the dealer says its okay could it be that you have some deflate setting on the computer set? Stupid question sure, but these things had tons of menus on that 12 inch screen.
No, everything is setup properly. I was going to switch to a Ford F-150 King Ranch but like the looks of the Ram. should have went with the Ford. As soon as I’m not upside down on this truck I will be going to Ford.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ford may not have air suspension, but it is no less complex. Sorry to say with Modern vehicles, but you are trading problems.

Rump2022

Reaction score
Ford may not have air suspension, but it is no less complex. Sorry to say with Modern vehicles, but you are trading problems.
I agree, however all I use to buy for a truck was Ford and never had a problem. In 2015 I decided to try a Ram Laramie Longhorn with air suspension and after 4 years had to change the air suspension for springs. I really liked the Ram but had the suspension issue. Dealer assured me that the problem was solved and I wouldn’t have any problems with the air suspension in the 2022 Limited………..well 1800 km on the new truck and dealing with this again. Should have went with springs in the new truck but I guess I like the stress Or I’m just plain stupid. :-(

Pertzbro

Reaction score
my 15' def. had issues to the point i ripped it all out and have regular suspension now. Not worth the problems.

ChrisID

Reaction score
i have two, a 20 and 21 w/air, one in the east and one in the west. both around 20K miles, and not a glitch on either. air is game-changer for me, being a short guy and now old guy and loading dirtbikes all the time. As all the trucks have gotten higher in recent years, the lowest position has helped me a ton.
They are both in Northern east and west US climates (see single digits rarely, teens a few weeks per winter, (20-30-40 average)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/