5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air shutter

Stealthdmb

Reaction score
hello everyone, I am new here but I thought this was some good info. I was getting the dreaded engine light on the dash, had the wife take it to auto zone and get the code read. She said it was the air shutter so I figured it was no big deal. So I did some research and after finding a wiring ladder diagram I decided to get busy fixing the issue. First there are three wires on the motor one red 12 volts, black ground , and a white with red stripe. Red is hot all the time. Black is ground white with red is the comunication wire. What I found on mine was there was no resistance to ground . So after doing some reading about how the active dam may be in line with the air shutter I went under the truck and disconnected the air dam plug. Then retested the white w red stripe and the short to ground was gone. I cycled the truck on and the air shutter moved thru it’s test I then took it for a ride and the dreaded engine light is gone. Mopar has reworked this part 5-6 times as far as I can tell with part numbers. I have the newest version on order it should be here in three days . I hope this helps with anyone who is having this issue. I have read horror stories of people paying 800$ for a wiring harness fix . The shorts not in the wiring it is well protected the short is in the air dam.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Georgf

Reaction score
hello everyone, I am new here but I thought this was some good info. I was getting the dreaded engine light on the dash, had the wife take it to auto zone and get the code read. She said it was the air shutter so I figured it was no big deal. So I did some research and after finding a wiring ladder diagram I decided to get busy fixing the issue. First there are three wires on the motor one red 12 volts, black ground , and a white with red stripe. Red is hot all the time. Black is ground white with red is the comunication wire. What I found on mine was there was no resistance to ground . So after doing some reading about how the active dam may be in line with the air shutter I went under the truck and disconnected the air dam plug. Then retested the white w red stripe and the short to ground was gone. I cycled the truck on and the air shutter moved thru it’s test I then took it for a ride and the dreaded engine light is gone. Mopar has reworked this part 5-6 times as far as I can tell with part numbers. I have the newest version on order it should be here in three days . I hope this helps with anyone who is having this issue. I have read horror stories of people paying 800$ for a wiring harness fix . The shorts not in the wiring it is well protected the short is in the air dam.
Thanks for this post. Could you please share here an wiring diagram of this parts? I know that the airdam is connected with a two-wire cable and is controlled by a 12v polarity reversal signal, I can’t understand how it can affect the operation of the shutter.

Stealthdmb

Reaction score
I think the best way to understand comm wires is in the name ( common) they are a common path from one device to another, that can be stepper motors , end switches, temp limits. or just the common wire that runs thru your house to connect the cicuits back to ground ( the white). The only thing with a comm on a stepper motor is its refrencing the voltage to ground For position. lets say the air shutter is getting its test signal well why doesn’t the air dam operate? Because that device is not looking for that input it’s actuary input will be different than the air shutter. I always think of comm wire voltage as binary code (0000,0001,0011,0111, etc….) these inputs on the comm wire can mean so many things to so many things. Hope this helps

Attachments

• 1C872F3A-7F41-4427-8B51-FE8006B8B4DB.png
    1C872F3A-7F41-4427-8B51-FE8006B8B4DB.png
    90.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Wow
Reactions: c3k

Georgf

Reaction score
I tested the airdam manually, just powers it by 12v and change polarity I could open or close it, so I think there is no any digital signal there. And negative wire is not fixed on airdam, it reversing. Maybe airdam sending any error to BCM and it’s the reason the shutter not working, not a loosing solid ground?

Stealthdmb

Reaction score
It’s not necessarily digital I was just trying to explain it . Think of it this way instead of a constant 12 volts . Say 2.38 volts is power 10% , 3.90 volts maybe 50%, this is just an example because we don’t know what the programmers set as the parameters. Ground is always ground or negative . I am going to blow some minds now. But because energy flows from negative to positive it reversing polarity opens and closes the shutter and thru circuit resistance and programming the control or pcm can see where the stepper motor is. The 12 volts on red is running the device that’s why there is a fuse. the white and red is setting the device in a set position or operation based on the resistance the pcm gets back . whew now my brain hurts.

Stealthdmb

Reaction score
Let me clarify one thing more there is no refrence between the 12 volt red and the white and red wire. These are separate circuits . But they share the ground wire ( black)

Stealthdmb

Reaction score
If anyone is interested I posted a video on my old air dam stepper motor on my YouTube account. Stealthdmb

Users who are viewing this thread