5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Ride Suspension

Stickerhead

Reaction score
My air ride suspension compressor comes on and runs for a few seconds with the truck off randomly. Is that normal or does it have a leak? Suspension works fine in all modes. Jus don’t want a dead battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stickerhead

Reaction score
Guess I could have but I am lazy and can type from my bed.
Thanks

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Guess I could have but I am lazy and can type from my bed.
Thanks

I'm with you, but I believe it was talked about in another thread...I'm not of much help as I can't remember what everyone came up with as the answer.

I believe it has to do with the truck allowing the suspension to decompress when parked for extended periods...then when truck is unlocked the suspension airs back up to level...don't quote me here, but seems like what my truck is doing when I notice the compressor popping on and off.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm with you, but I believe it was talked about in another thread...I'm not of much help as I can't remember what everyone came up with as the answer.

I believe it has to do with the truck allowing the suspension to decompress when parked for extended periods...then when truck is unlocked the suspension airs back up to level...don't quote me here, but seems like what my truck is doing when I notice the compressor popping on and off.

Just like your tires drop pressure overnight (not as hot when not working and even in Death Valley it cools overnight) so will your air suspension. Between that and changes in load (even a 12 pack can trigger it) it's trying to maintain the appropriate height and rake.

Stickerhead

Reaction score
Well if it is indeed Nitrogen charged, it should not change pressure due to temp change. Maybe something else?

cra1g

Reaction score
Well if it is indeed Nitrogen charged, it should not change pressure due to temp change. Maybe something else?

ALL gases, nitrogen included, change pressure due to temperature change (assuming constant volume).

My Grand Cherokee with air suspension has occasionally run the pump to adjust since day 1 (it's 6 years old), and it hasn't caused any problems. My Ram does it, too. Nothing to worry about.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ALL gases, nitrogen included, change pressure due to temperature change (assuming constant volume).

My Grand Cherokee with air suspension has occasionally run the pump to adjust since day 1 (it's 6 years old), and it hasn't caused any problems. My Ram does it, too. Nothing to worry about.

Right, Nitrogen just changes pressure due to temp less than air, but it still changes. And no one has settled the question of whether the redesigned 2019 air suspension still allows outside air in if needed like the earlier models did.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score

All of this!

Being from New England... quite familiar with "deflation" and the Ideal Gas Law (Patriots reference). All gasses expand and contract based on temperature. That goes for the closed Nitrogen system in our Air Suspension. It will cycle on to maintain the desired pressure or ride height as temps fluctuate. As temps decrease, pressure in the spring decreases... increasing temps equal increasing pressure... so to maintain "Aero" mode for example, the pumps cycle on for the correct pressure for that ride setting.

Make sense?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread