5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

air in 35s

ljndralec

Reaction score
i have a 2019 ram with 35s . i dont knoe if its a dumb question but when i got them installed discohnt tire put 38 psi on them. my trucks sticker says 36 psi recomended but on stock tires. what is the corect psi should i follow the tires recomendation the cars or what is the correct psi?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
i have a 2019 ram with 35s . i dont knoe if its a dumb question but when i got them installed discohnt tire put 38 psi on them. my trucks sticker says 36 psi recomended but on stock tires. what is the corect psi should i follow the tires recomendation the cars or what is the correct psi?

Did they say they pumped them up to 38 psi or is that what your dash gauge is telling you?

Because I've noticed, at least on my truck, it's about 2 psi high. I have two high end pressure gauges that will each show 45 psi, but my truck will tell me 47 psi, this is of course checking cold in the morning before I start driving. Pressures vary up several psi with weather changes and heat from driving.

Probably best to go with the psi on your door however, wait until morning and adjust using a quality gauge to 36 psi. Then compare the difference with your truck's gauge to see if it matches. If not, go with the tire gauge readings.

ljndralec

Reaction score
Did they say they pumped them up to 38 psi or is that what your dash gauge is telling you?

Because I've noticed, at least on my truck, it's about 2 psi high. I have two high end pressure gauges that will each show 45 psi, but my truck will tell me 47 psi, this is of course checking cold in the morning before I start driving. Pressures vary up several psi with weather changes and heat from driving.

Probably best to go with the psi on your door however, wait until morning and adjust using a quality gauge to 36 psi. Then compare the difference with your truck's gauge to see if it matches. If not, go with the tire gauge readings.
yea that helps thanks ima keep them at 36 because also i was feeling bumps more i read its because if you have too much air it happens. so you have the same tires on your truck too?? yea ive been noticing that too. i have a gauge it takes the psi really accurate i make sure all 4 tires have 36 and when i drive or during trip my reading on the truck dashboard changes 1 or 2 psi up or down its weird it keeps confusing me

ljndralec

Reaction score
yea that helps thanks ima keep them at 36 because also i was feeling bumps more i read its because if you have too much air it happens. so you have the same tires on your truck too?? yea ive been noticing that too. i have a gauge it takes the psi really accurate i make sure all 4 tires have 36 and when i drive or during trip my reading on the truck dashboard changes 1 or 2 psi up or down its weird it keeps confusing me
alsohow much psi do you have on your tires?

SD Rebel

Reaction score

I think after about 5 miles, you should expect your air pressure to move up about 2-3 psi on a mild weather day. It will go up 5 psi or so on a very hot day while driving. It will drop on a very cold day.

To set your air pressure, check & adjust first thing in the morning before it gets hot and before you start driving. It's also a good time to compare how much (if any) difference between your hand vs truck gauge.

On my Rebel for example, in the morning I have 55F / 45R, which is the stock setting. But after driving for a hour in 107F temps, my gauge was showing 62F / 52R! That's 7 lbs over when cold, but that's to be expected in those conditions. Once you set it cold, don't worry about fluctuations up while driving.

ljndralec

Reaction score
I think after about 5 miles, you should expect your air pressure to move up about 2-3 psi on a mild weather day. It will go up 5 psi or so on a very hot day while driving. It will drop on a very cold day.

To set your air pressure, check & adjust first thing in the morning before it gets hot and before you start driving. It's also a good time to compare how much (if any) difference between your hand vs truck gauge.

On my Rebel for example, in the morning I have 55F / 45R, which is the stock setting. But after driving for a hour in 107F temps, my gauge was showing 62F / 52R! That's 7 lbs over when cold, but that's to be expected in those conditions. Once you set it cold, don't worry about fluctuations up while driving.
ok makes a lot of sense how you explain it. so your rebel on the truck sticker it has 55 and 45 psi for stock?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
ok makes a lot of sense how you explain it. so your rebel on the truck sticker it has 55 and 45 psi for stock?

Yes, kinda high sounding right :)

It's probably related to the A/T 33" tires and maybe the springs/shocks that are used on Rebels.

Generally tire manufacturers always recommend you to stick with factory psi recommendations for liability reasons. Also, your PSI warning is set from the factory and if you stray too far from it, you will get a constant dash warning to add air. For those that want to change their pressure by a lot, like say go from 55 to 35, they need to use a tuner to change that setting.

I do run my pressures at about 20-25 psi for off-roading though, but it's only temporary so I haven't invested in a tuner. However, when I level my truck in the future and go with aftermarket 34-35 tires, I may want to run lower pressures on the street, which will mean using a tuner.

ljndralec

Reaction score
Yes, kinda high sounding right :)

It's probably related to the A/T 33" tires and maybe the springs/shocks that are used on Rebels.

Generally tire manufacturers always recommend you to stick with factory psi recommendations for liability reasons. Also, your PSI warning is set from the factory and if you stray too far from it, you will get a constant dash warning to add air. For those that want to change their pressure by a lot, like say go from 55 to 35, they need to use a tuner to change that setting.

I do run my pressures at about 20-25 psi for off-roading though, but it's only temporary so I haven't invested in a tuner. However, when I level my truck in the future and go with aftermarket 34-35 tires, I may want to run lower pressures on the street, which will mean using a tuner.
wow seems like you know slot thanks for info

Wheeler

Reaction score
Please don't ask me how and why. Put 50psi in front and and 40 psi rare and call the day.

ljndralec

Reaction score
Please don't ask me how and why. Put 50psi in front and and 40 psi rare and call the day.
jajjaa does it give a really good ride quality at least?? ive been hearing alot of people running 50psiill give it a try!

Users who are viewing this thread