5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Filter

Royal27

Reaction score
Been a little over a week now since I installed the Green Filter. I have finally had a chance to get it on the highway and open it up. There is a little more intake sound over the stock filter. Sounds good. The 17 year old in me still loves to hear the roar of a big V8. I keep waiting for this filter to give me better mileage, but my mpg looks the same as before I installed the filter.

So, in short: a little more intake noise under acceleration and a bit more seat of the pants pep. That is about all you get. I do like the fact these are made from recycled materials. So, overall, no complaints.

Do you have stock exhaust? That would be interesting.... To see what would happen with a duel exhaust system with better flow. Would the addition of the filter then make a difference in MPG?

Royal27

Reaction score
I do still have the stock exhaust. Probably won't change it until the summer.

I'm getting exhaust done today actually and will then likely changes filters.

Problem is, my truck os so new that the milage is improving regardless, so its gonna be tough enough to see what the exhaust does, much less the filter. Might wait a while on the filter and see if any changes once it seems to be stable.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very interesting reading. I’ve always been skeptical about a drop in or whole intake system with out big supporting mods to be worth anything especially on a n/a engine . Excited to hear peeps are getting a positive response from it.

After reading a few threads about this. I’ve investigated the intake set up on our 5th gen compared to previous gens. It’s truly a Cold air intake system with good size plumbing and surface area.
With a easier breathing filter and charcoal filter removed seems some gains are to be had, which is not the norm.
Looks like I will be jumping on this band wagon sooner then expected .

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Almost forgot... If anyone else is interested in the Green Filter for these trucks, the part number is: 2232.

Looks like greenfilter has updated their website to show this filter fits the 2019 as well.

I'm most interested in this filter to see if it I notice any mpg gains at all with it. I know one user above said they did not, but many, many reviews out there claim to see an increase.

On the sound issue, how much louder is it under normal acceleration? Or is it just louder when you open it up on the highway? As much as I'd love to hear the roar all the time, my wife very much will not.

Cmiller18y

Reaction score
A little late to the party but here is the charcoal filter if anyone is confused. I just went outside this morning and removed mine. A side note: when you remove it you will break the plastic rivet pieces so your pretty much commited at that point!

Attachments

• 20190119_140650.jpg
    20190119_140650.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 295

768mph

Reaction score
A little late to the party but here is the charcoal filter if anyone is confused. I just went outside this morning and removed mine. A side note: when you remove it you will break the plastic rivet pieces so your pretty much commited at that point!

Yeah, its pretty thick as well. Needle nose pliers are good to break off the remaining rivets.
Flat head to pry and snap the filter off.

d68a2d4d41ee59448bbc6edb8f093633.jpg
bd422064911128dba0ca07879042c01d.jpg
a8f0954f8a092ff7fa1b83805263a3e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It a emissions trap that grabs oil droplets from crank case seepage when engine is at rest

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is a separate system. Seepage that comes from fresh side inlet to valve cover and through throttle body

ncochran

Reaction score
To get true performance gains, I feel like you really need to open up both ends (intake AND exhaust) otherwise, you are still held down by the weaker link. It is like running water through a straw and into a 3" pipe (or vice-versa). The pipe is great, but you are only capable of getting so much out the other side until you ditch the straw and get another piece of pipe. I think the vararam paired with flowmaster fx is what I am going to go with.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great analogy & agree with it. I don’t think the muffler is the main restriction though on exhaust side.

Kob0583

Reaction score
I dropped a green in today, went for a long drive saw a MPG gain, will continue to track it but so far seems a instant improvement. 44 miles mixed driving 19.5 MPG AVG went up .3 will update after a few tanks.

Konrad

Reaction score
I dropped a green in today, went for a long drive saw a MPG gain, will continue to track it but so far seems a instant improvement. 44 miles mixed driving 19.5 MPG AVG went up .3 will update after a few tanks.

.3 over 44 miles of "mixed driving" is well within the margin of error, I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kob0583

Reaction score
I agree but I’m still breaking my truck in less than 600 miles on it, doesn’t mean the filter is the improvement but I’m trying mods before I finish the break I period, not concerned with before vs after just end results which I’m hoping for. 20 MPG Hwy and avg of 17.5-18 if I can get in there I’ll be happy. So far it seems tracking for that but it will take several takes before I’ll know for sure, seemed the biggest difference was with city driving sense putting the filter in. My truck is barely going into ECO Mode as of now.

Users who are viewing this thread