5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Filter

steveved

Reaction score
If this is supposed to go in the 5.7 Hemi folder, I apologize for starting this thread in the wrong place.

Anyway, so I wanted to put a high flow air filter in mine. Been reading a ton of good things about the Green Filter over on the 6th Gen Camaro forum (my other vehicle is a 2018 ZL1 Camaro). So, I happened to notice that Green Filters makes a filter for the 2017 Ram with the 5.7L Hemi, but nothing is listed on their website for our 2019 trucks yet.

As luck would have it, I have a friend who manages an O'Reilly Auto Parts store. I went to see him today and we pulled the filter out of my 2019 Laramie with 5.7L eTorque. We then pulled a Wix Air filter for a 2017 Ram out of the box and compared them... What do you know!?! They are EXACTLY the same size. Same length, width and element thickness. We even dropped the Wix into my air box as an added test. Fits perfectly.

Knowing this, I went on the Summit Racing website this morning and ordered the Green Filter for the 2017 Ram with 5.7L Hemi. Should be here by Thursday.

Just wanted to let you all know that if you want to get a K&N or Green or other aftermarket high flow filter, the one for the 2017 will fit perfectly.

768mph

Reaction score
If this is supposed to go in the 5.7 Hemi folder, I apologize for starting this thread in the wrong place.

Anyway, so I wanted to put a high flow air filter in mine. Been reading a ton of good things about the Green Filter over on the 6th Gen Camaro forum (my other vehicle is a 2018 ZL1 Camaro). So, I happened to notice that Green Filters makes a filter for the 2017 Ram with the 5.7L Hemi, but nothing is listed on their website for our 2019 trucks yet.

As luck would have it, I have a friend who manages an O'Reilly Auto Parts store. I went to see him today and we pulled the filter out of my 2019 Laramie with 5.7L eTorque. We then pulled a Wix Air filter for a 2017 Ram out of the box and compared them... What do you know!?! They are EXACTLY the same size. Same length, width and element thickness. We even dropped the Wix into my air box as an added test. Fits perfectly.

Knowing this, I went on the Summit Racing website this morning and ordered the Green Filter for the 2017 Ram with 5.7L Hemi. Should be here by Thursday.

Just wanted to let you all know that if you want to get a K&N or Green or other aftermarket high flow filter, the one for the 2017 will fit perfectly.
Not all heroes wear capes.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Did you notice the black mesh that is attached to the piece that goes over the air filter? Thinking about removing it on mine, it probably has something to do with making the intake quieter but I like the sound intakes make in the higher RPM's. Oh, and post a pic of the air filter when you get it in.

steveved

Reaction score
I wonder if it is some sort of charcoal element like BMW users in order to satisfy the picky folks in California?

steveved

Reaction score
So, my Green Filter showed up today and I installed it. Fit like a glove. But, I didn't notice any black mesh thing like you mentioned.

I'll open the airbox back up this weekend and take some pics.

Fidomac

Reaction score
So, my Green Filter showed up today and I installed it. Fit like a glove. But, I didn't notice any black mesh thing like you mentioned.

I'll open the airbox back up this weekend and take some pics.
Let us know about performance

steveved

Reaction score
I have not dyno'd it or anything, but it definitely feels peppier. As far as whether or not it is better... That is a subjective term. I will say that over on the camaro forum, there are some documented tests that show the green filter for the 6th generation camaro flows more air than the K&N.

And there is the bonus of it being made from recycled fibers. So, it has that going for it as well.

Newtododge

Reaction score
Installed a new air filter in the truck last night and for something so simple I can definitely say it was absolutely a good decision to install the air filter. Usually air filters can be thought of as being beneficial but don’t really give much in the real world and I knew that going in but I could definitely feel and hear a difference which I was quite surprised to get. Air filter is a must

RenoRam

Reaction score
I've used the AEM dry flow filter previously. Anyone using that for this application?

Newtododge

Reaction score

768mph

Reaction score
I've used the AEM dry flow filter previously. Anyone using that for this application?
I am.
There is a difference to be felt. But nothing to write home about.

Newtododge

Reaction score
The fact that you can feel a difference is huge. Air filter change and you feel it is a wow. It’s a 24 dollar part!!! Real expectations must be had, it’s not nitrous or a super charger or a cam etc. it’s a drop in part that’s a remarkable improvement

steveved

Reaction score
Been a little over a week now since I installed the Green Filter. I have finally had a chance to get it on the highway and open it up. There is a little more intake sound over the stock filter. Sounds good. The 17 year old in me still loves to hear the roar of a big V8. I keep waiting for this filter to give me better mileage, but my mpg looks the same as before I installed the filter.

So, in short: a little more intake noise under acceleration and a bit more seat of the pants pep. That is about all you get. I do like the fact these are made from recycled materials. So, overall, no complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread