5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Expelled While Idling

Tucker452

Reaction score
I started my truck and after about 5 minutes of idling, there was a loud gush of air from under the truck. It sounded like it was under the bed. My wife heard it and likened it to the sound semi’s make when they release the air from their brakes. I have the adjustable air suspension on the truck that came with the limited trim. Do you think there could be a suspension problem? I was able to cycle through all heights and it works fine.

Only 700 miles before end of warranty. Worried I may have a problem I need fixed before I hit that!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Probably just hearing the air transfer from tank to bag or vice versa. They are a nitrogen filled sealed system so unlikely it vented externally.

barrak

Reaction score
I started my truck and after about 5 minutes of idling, there was a loud gush of air from under the truck. It sounded like it was under the bed. My wife heard it and likened it to the sound semi’s make when they release the air from their brakes. I have the adjustable air suspension on the truck that came with the limited trim. Do you think there could be a suspension problem? I was able to cycle through all heights and it works fine.

Only 700 miles before end of warranty. Worried I may have a problem I need fixed before I hit that!
Definitely take it in for warranty work (or at least to inspect/report the problem) ASAP. Can be a faulty valve or something that is taking its sweet time to fail. 700 miles can go pretty quick, so watch that odometer until your appointment. Fixing air suspension out of pocket can get very expensive.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Probably just hearing the air transfer from tank to bag or vice versa. They are a nitrogen filled sealed system so unlikely it vented externally.
It's possible but I never hear any noise like that on my 22. I wonder if there was a leak and it's running on regular air now? With it not making the noise all the time not sure how you could try and troubleshoot it though.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Only noise I've ever heard is the compressor running to either raise or lower the truck. Never heard the sound of the air (nitrogen) going back into the tank

Arth

Reaction score
The system is able to vent externally. On 4th Gens there was a vent tube with a filter behind the passenger side tail light. On the 5th Gens I think it's in the same place.

My 23 has done this once and I only have 4k miles on it. I believe it's normal for it to happen every once in a while. If it happens more often and you hear the compressor running a lot then you've got an issue.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The system is able to vent externally. On 4th Gens there was a vent tube with a filter behind the passenger side tail light. On the 5th Gens I think it's in the same place.

My 23 has done this once and I only have 4k miles on it. I believe it's normal for it to happen every once in a while. If it happens more often and you hear the compressor running a lot then you've got an issue.
There is nothing to vent.
If you are venting then you have a leak and it is no longer a sealed nitrogen system.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only noise I've ever heard is the compressor running to either raise or lower the truck. Never heard the sound of the air (nitrogen) going back into the tank

I'll qualify by saying my HD with rear air assist does make a lot of air whooshing noises when leveling.

Just a SWAG, but I still believe the system is closed loop Nitrogen filled. Unless it also has an adequate drier, moisture in the system spells an early death.

Arth

Reaction score
There is nothing to vent.
If you are venting then you have a leak and it is no longer a sealed nitrogen system.

Alright I'll play.

Explain to me why they have a filter attached to end of the air suspension line hiding behind the passenger tail light then.

20190408_162452.jpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Alright I'll play.

Explain to me why they have a filter attached to end of the air suspension line hiding behind the passenger tail light then.

View attachment 172960
That is not a vent, that is an fresh air intake filter and it's connector to the compressor. Those filters are on every air suspension vehicle as far as I can tell sealed or not it does not matter.
It is a sealed system. If it is taking in fresh air you have a leak, and there might be a failsafe system to vent somewhere also, but that is not it. And ONLY IF YOU HAVE A LEAK would it EVER intake fresh air OR vent nitrogen.

Arth

Reaction score
That is not a vent, that is an fresh air intake filter and it's connector to the compressor. Those filters are on every air suspension vehicle as far as I can tell sealed or not it does not matter.
It is a sealed system. If it is taking in fresh air you have a leak, and there might be a failsafe system to vent somewhere also, but that is not it. And ONLY IF YOU HAVE A LEAK would it EVER intake fresh air OR vent nitrogen.
I think the point here is it's a sealed system to a point.

If there is an issue it has the ability to pull air from the outside there by becoming unsealed. Generally if it does this you may have an issue. That whooshing noise is definitely a blow off valve of some sort.

Back to the OPs concern mine made the same noise and I have zero issues. Compressor doesn't run excessively and my truck sits for a week at a time without losing air in a bag.

Ddelallata

Reaction score
I heard my '22 Limited 1500 make a similar noise once at 35K miles. I drove it another 1K miles without any issues and traded it in for a '24 Limited last month. I wouldn't be too concerned unless you hear the compressor constantly running or your truck suddenly turns into a lowrider.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think the point here is it's a sealed system to a point.

If there is an issue it has the ability to pull air from the outside there by becoming unsealed. Generally if it does this you may have an issue. That whooshing noise is definitely a blow off valve of some sort.

Back to the OPs concern mine made the same noise and I have zero issues. Compressor doesn't run excessively and my truck sits for a week at a time without losing air in a bag.
If it's venting that means it's pulling in fresh air, and moisture and the system will likely rust\rot eventually as it is no longer a sealed system at that point.
I don't think the compressor burning out is the problem, it's the rust that will get you. I don't believed the 4th gen systems were a sealed system and thats why that had so many problems from what I could find. So saying you have no problem now is only partly true became as it ages it will likely rust out.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Had my over-pressure safety valve pop around 40k miles. I am at 78k now, still working as expected. YMMW.

Users who are viewing this thread