5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air design tailgate applique

TimH

Reaction score
Hello. I would like to share my recent installation of the tailgate applique from airdesign. This project was pricey and time consuming but i enjoyed the process. Painted to match diamond black crystal and look like a 95% match.

Attachments

• 20191003_143036.jpg
    20191003_143036.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 294

agjr85

Reaction score
Nice, we have a victim. Can you share some insight on price and why it was time consuming?
Self install or shop?

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks very nice. Did it come painted Diamond Black Crystal from Air Design or did you have it painted elsewhere?

TimH

Reaction score
I painted myself. Paint is from automotivetouchup.com

TimH

Reaction score
The price for the applique is 400 shipped. I spent another 175$ for primer/paint/clear/ supplies.

TimH

Reaction score
Thanks. The appliques for our ram are pricey compared to F150. I guess its because f150 is more popular. As far as i know, Airdesign is the only brand that make appliques for Ram (same for the 4th gen ram). My friend f150 tailgate applique is 130$. Same piece of of plastic (probably same amount of plastic also). I guess the higher price is to punish people who are driving a better looking truck.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Hello,
I was going to start a new thread on this but figured it would be better to resurrect this one instead. Has anyone installed this on a 2019/20 Rebel or another trim with the big RAM lettering instead of the Ram head logo? I love the overall aesthetic of my Rebel but feel the back of the truck is lacking in that department compared to the front and sides and this will fit the bill nicely (except the price!). From what I can tell from pics, the Rebel tailgate seems to be the same shape as other trims. I'm aware that trucks with the Ram head emblem have a small indent where the emblem goes and trucks with the lettering have no indents for the letters just 2 alignment holes per letter so I'm thinking I can remove the RAM letters, buy a Ram head emblem and install this applique on the Rebel no problem. Any experiences, thoughts or even opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
I really wanted to do this on my white night edition Ram but was disappointed that is stops short of both sides of the gate, leaving a gap. When color matching it would be fine, but I wanted to paint it black which would look odd. My only complaint is it looks very "Fordish". I decided on doing the rear wing instead.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I really wanted to do this on my white night edition Ram but was disappointed that is stops short of both sides of the gate, leaving a gap. When color matching it would be fine, but I wanted to paint it black which would look odd. My only complaint is it looks very "Fordish". I decided on doing the rear wing instead.

Yeah I noticed that it stops a little short on both sides in the pics. I wasn't planning to color match it either (though certainly an option) but if I didn't like the gap I would plasti-dip the whole applique and the gap. My main goal right now is to find a feasible way to get rid of the big RAM letters. I agree it has a "Fordish" look to it but that doesn't bother me.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that it stops a little short on both sides in the pics. I wasn't planning to color match it either (though certainly an option) but if I didn't like the gap I would plasti-dip the whole applique and the gap. My main goal right now is to find a feasible way to get rid of the big RAM letters. I agree it has a "Fordish" look to it but that doesn't bother me.

I agree on the monster Ram letters. My 18 Night Edition had them and they were tacky. Ram isn't shy about advertising their brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/