5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning tolerance?

bigoldthor

Reaction score
If you do a quick site search, you will find this is one of if not the most common complaint about the new Rams. I haven't had to use my a/c yet but am curious to see how it does, as I'm pretty hot-natured.

TBass

Reaction score
I'm interested to know if they got the matter resolved in the 2020 model year. I have one on order & I hope not to be burning up in my new truck come summer.

HaciendaMan

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2020 Limited, didn't noticed anything about the A/C on test drive as it was a rather cool day, but the next day it was warmer out, I tried everything to get it cooler inside as we were both uncomfortable, very concerned now, will be taking it to dealer today. $57K for a truck with no A/C to speak of, just cool air like aa fan gives you and not near cool enough. 120 miles in and already worried out my RAM, jeeesh! PS: I'm in SoCal.

Ranger482

Reaction score
As others have said, a quick search will turn up hundreds of posts about this issue and do it yourself fixes that will help (installing a valve to shut off the flow to the heater core has proven effective). It's a shame RAM has not addressed it.

airgas1998

Reaction score
I'm interested to know if they got the matter resolved in the 2020 model year. I have one on order & I hope not to be burning up in my new truck come summer.
sorry...no way a fix trickled over to production year 2020

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
sorry...no way a fix trickled over to production year 2020
Do you know that for a fact, or are you just being cynical? Manufacturers make small improvements every model year based on customer complaints, recalls, service bulletins, etc. It's one thing if you have data or some kind of evidence to back up that claim. It's another thing if you just don't believe they would fix something from one year to the next. Not challenging you, just wondering which it is. I haven't had my 2020 Laramie during the hot months where I live, and I'd like to know what to expect when the time comes to use the A/C.

RiskReward

Reaction score
Do you know that for a fact, or are you just being cynical? Manufacturers make small improvements every model year based on customer complaints, recalls, service bulletins, etc. It's one thing if you have data or some kind of evidence to back up that claim. It's another thing if you just don't believe they would fix something from one year to the next. Not challenging you, just wondering which it is. I haven't had my 2020 Laramie during the hot months where I live, and I'd like to know what to expect when the time comes to use the A/C.

I was hoping they would quietly fix this issue for the 2020s but it was 82 degrees on Monday and the A/C performed “adequately” and only just. No way it will be up for the task in the 95+ days.

Doesn’t help I have a black truck with the panoramic but I’ll be headed to Harbor Freight for a clamp based on its performance Monday. Could be I’m overreacting, but I’ll know for sure in April/May.

KcRay

Reaction score
Put a shut off valve in the heater hose. I know it sucks that it's needed, but it works, and it works well. Ran mine closed off all last summer.

RiskReward

Reaction score
Put a shut off valve in the heater hose. I know it sucks that it's needed, but it works, and it works well. Ran mine closed off all last summer.

Assume you can partially close off and retain some climate control abilities while still dramatically improving cooling ability?

KcRay

Reaction score
Not much success with that, I just use the fan for adjustment. I wanted mine to be as cold as possible, and with as much interior and leather as these trucks have, just turning down the fan will give you plenty of adjustment.

dstwyatt

Reaction score
Don't waste too much time trying to get the a/c solved.....Ram will NOT fix it, heck they will say it is "within spec".....so unless you want to take the hit of getting ride of it.....you might as well just enjoy that it's a great truck otherwise-----and just live with the a/c during the hot months

DHOLMQ

Reaction score
This is one reason I’m hesitant to buy the blacked out 2020 limited I have had my eye on. That and cab Leaks, etc.

Torch54

Reaction score
Ok so I have a question about the pressure out of the vents, not fan speed. When you all put the air conditioning on Max ac does it increase pressure at all. I can go from ac to Max ac and there is no change but when I put it in Auto mode it will close a blend door and increase the air pressure out of the vents but only on that mode. My other vehicles have always increased air pressure when going to Max ac but like I said absolutely no change between the two modes.

DennisY

Reaction score
I must be one of the lucky ones because I still don't have a problem with my A/C in my 2019. I've spent many a weekend last summer in Palm Springs, with 115 degree temps outside. The truck sat there much of the day and was, as you might imagine, smokin' hot inside when we got in to drive to dinner. It cooled down pretty quickly. And this was with the setting on the dash set to 68. I am in no way doubting that so many of you are having a problem but thank goodness I got lucky! (I do not have the heater hose hack installed either.)

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How cold should my air conditioner be blowing? The dealership measured mine at 53゚ with temperature of 75 outside. This truck doesn't seem to be blowing cold air reversephonelookup.onl/ curated.onl/nba-reddit/ pcbuilder.onl/pcpartpicker/.
Joe, it appears that yours is out of specification, if the technician performed the test procedure correctly:
FROM THE 2019 DT SERVICE MANUAL

NOTE:
The work area ambient temperature must be above 21°C (70°F) and the evaporator temperature must be above 13°C (55°F) prior to conducting the A/C Performance Test.
  1. Conduct the HVAC PRE-DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLESHOOTING PROCEDURE found within the HVAC Standard Procedures (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/HVAC - Standard Procedure). If no Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are found in the HVAC module, Body Control Module (BCM), Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Engine Control Module (ECM), depending on engine application, go to Step 2. If any DTCs are found, repair as required, then proceed to Step 2.
  2. Connect a tachometer and a manifold gauge set or an A/C recycling/charging station.
  3. Operate the HVAC system under the following conditions.
    • Engine at 1,000 rpm at operating temperature
    • Door and windows closed
    • Transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL with parking brake set (depending on transmission application)
    • A/C heater controls set to recirculation mode (MAX A/C), full cool, panel mode, high blower and with A/C compressor engaged. If the A/C compressor does not engage, see the A/C System Diagnosis table.
  4. Insert a thermometer in the driver side center panel air outlet and operate the A/C system until the thermometer temperature stabilizes.

NOTE:
    This procedure requires the technician to know what the temperature and relative humidity is at the time of the test. The temperature must be combined with the relative humidity to calculate the apparent ambient temperature ("feels like" temperature), when the temperatures are above 21°C (70°F). Use the current ambient temperature and the relative humidity in your location. This information can be obtained from multiple sources, such as the internet or local news media.
  5. With the A/C clutch engaged, compare the air temperature at the center panel outlet and the A/C compressor discharge pressure (high side) to the A/C Performance Temperature and Pressure chart. The A/C clutch may cycle, depending upon the ambient temperature and humidity. If the A/C clutch cycles, use the readings obtained before the clutch disengaged (coldest temperature).
    A/C PERFORMANCE TEMPERATURE AND PRESSURE
    Ambient Air Temperature (Apparent)
    21°C
    (70°F)​
    27°C
    (80°F)​
    32°C
    (90°F)​
    38°C
    (100°F)​
    43°C
    (110°F)​
    Air Temperature at Center Panel Outlet
    7°C
    (45°F)​
    7°C
    (45°F)​
    13°C
    (55°F)​
    13°C
    (55°F)​
    18°C
    (64°F)​
    Compressor Inlet Pressure at Service Port (low Side)
    138 to 207 kPa
    (20 to 30 psi)​
    172 to 241 kPa
    (25 to 35 psi)​
    207 to 276 kPa
    (30 to 40 psi)​
    241 to 310 kPa
    (35 to 45 psi)​
    276 to 345 kPa
    (40 to 50 psi)​
    Compressor Discharge Pressure at Service Port (High Side)
    1034 to 1724 kPa
    (150 to 250 psi)​
    1379 to 2068 kPa
    (200 to 300 psi)​
    1724 to 2413 kPa
    (250 to 350 psi)​
    1999 to 2689 kPa
    (290 to 390 psi)​
    2413 to 2965 kPa
    (350 to 430 psi)​

6. See the A/C System Diagnosis table if the air outlet temperature fails to meet the specifications in the A/C Performance Temperature and Pressure chart, or if the A/C compressor discharge pressure is high.
Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031303 miles.

dmodem

Reaction score
I've been through the Ram Cares process with an assigned case last summer. The dealer and Ram verified there was a problem after having my truck for a week+. Temperature sensor, a/c compressor, and refrigerant were all replaced with no discernible change. Due to the fact hot summer temperatures were over in my area soon after, the case was closed since I won't be able to replicate the ongoing issue until this upcoming summer, but in 90 degrees+, the A/C blows between 68-72 while being on the lowest setting with or without auto-climate on. I know Ram is aware the only remedy for the multiple issues is to either install a temporary owner-applied hose clamp or manual valve on the coolant line to the heater core, which verifies there's a known issue with the blend door in many heater cores. It's shameful that Ram has done absolutely nothing for those consumers, and it's embarrassing that one needs to buy and install an $8 hose clamp from Harbor Freight on a $63,000+ truck.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Although there may be "hundreds" of people complaining about poor AC performance, the fact remains that there are people reporting no issues at all. In my case, all but one of my passengers complain that the AC in my Quad Cab is too cold in the summertime. Of course human tolerance varies making it difficult to properly evaluate the intensity of the problem.

When talking to my tech. the other day I asked him how many poor AC performance complaints has he experienced, and I was surprised when he said "almost none." Now of course anyone familiar with my part of the country (Western New York state) knows that we get plenty of humidity. High humidity increase AC performance, so maybe any borderline issues are being masked here.

If closing off or reducing flow to the heater core has a positive effect on AC performance, my first suspect would be a problem with the Mode Door(s). Now I've had the grave misfortune of pulling a Heater/AC housing out a number of cars and the experience has never been positive (although A & B-bodied Mopars of the 1960s were very bad at all). So nobody is biting at the bit to go yanking an HVAC housing out on a DT.

What I find troubling is there's no evidence in any of these anecdotal reports on whether there were any diagnostic trouble codes set or even if a tech. looked for codes. If the Mode Door travel is impinged there should be a B11C3-00 code set. Does anyone know for sure if a tech. checked for codes before performing any performance test?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031303 miles.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How cold should my air conditioner be blowing? The dealership measured mine at 53゚ with temperature of 75 outside. This truck doesn't seem to be blowing cold air reversephonelookup.onl/ curated.onl/nba-reddit/ pcbuilder.onl/pcpartpicker/.

welcome to the club! Either get the valve and install or it ir get ready fro many trips to the dealership with no end game solution. I test drove a 2020 Laramie a couple days ago and the AC in that truck sucked every bit as much as my 19 does. Only 68 degrees outside and the air never blew very cold.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
did a test with mine today. Thermometer read about 47 degrees at the vent so I think I'm good. Not hot around here in MA yet though...the ambient temp sensor was reading 72, when it was like 55 outside. I popped the sensor out of the mirror, disconnected, and reinstalled per a thread I was reading. we'll see if that helps a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread