5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning tolerance?

mpmitch1

Reaction score
How cold should my air conditioner be blowing? The dealership measured mine at 53゚ with temperature of 75 outside. This truck doesn't seem to be blowing cold air.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This should keep you busy for a while

Ramster

Reaction score
I must say, my newly acquired Big Horn manufacture date 7-19 is pretty cold. Wife freezes me out during her hot flash episodes. I'm thinking with such a late build date they finally fixed the problem others are having. Now we are supposed to be getting in to some hotter weather this week, I will see how it does then.

ldoh

Reaction score
I must say, my newly acquired Big Horn manufacture date 7-19 is pretty cold. Wife freezes me out during her hot flash episodes. I'm thinking with such a late build date they finally fixed the problem others are having. Now we are supposed to be getting in to some hotter weather this week, I will see how it does then.

There's at least one a/c performance report from a 2020 ram owner and it wasn't good.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ha ha, get ready for the guys in 70 degree climates to tell you your ac is just fine because theirs is. I am telling you now this AC problem was the biggest reason I got out of my truck. I cried inside. I was so excited to get the 29 Limited. I worked so hard to be able to buy that truck and the loss I took on it was enough to break anyones spirit.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ha ha, get ready for the guys in 70 degree climates to tell you your ac is just fine because theirs is. I am telling you now this AC problem was the biggest reason I got out of my truck. I cried inside. I was so excited to get the 29 Limited. I worked so hard to be able to buy that truck and the loss I took on it was enough to break anyones spirit.
Mine seems more than adequate. We’re seeing temps in the 70s...just before dawn. And we’ve been out of the triple digits for a day or two! Chilly.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FROM THE RAM 1500 (DT) SERVICE MANUAL
  1. With the A/C clutch engaged, compare the air temperature at the center panel outlet and the A/C compressor discharge pressure (high side) to the A/C Performance Temperature and Pressure chart. The A/C clutch may cycle, depending upon the ambient temperature and humidity. If the A/C clutch cycles, use the readings obtained before the clutch disengaged (coldest temperature).
    A/C PERFORMANCE TEMPERATURE AND PRESSURE
    Ambient Air Temperature (Apparent)
    21°C
    (70°F)​
    27°C
    (80°F)​
    32°C
    (90°F)​
    38°C
    (100°F)​
    43°C
    (110°F)​
    Air Temperature at Center Panel Outlet
    7°C
    (45°F)​
    7°C
    (45°F)​
    13°C
    (55°F)​
    13°C
    (55°F)​
    18°C
    (64°F)​
    Compressor Inlet Pressure at Service Port (low Side)
    138 to 207 kPa
    (20 to 30 psi)​
    172 to 241 kPa
    (25 to 35 psi)​
    207 to 276 kPa
    (30 to 40 psi)​
    241 to 310 kPa
    (35 to 45 psi)​
    276 to 345 kPa
    (40 to 50 psi)​
    Compressor Discharge Pressure at Service Port (High Side)
    1034 to 1724 kPa
    (150 to 250 psi)​
    1379 to 2068 kPa
    (200 to 300 psi)​
    1724 to 2413 kPa
    (250 to 350 psi)​
    1999 to 2689 kPa
    (290 to 390 psi)​
    2413 to 2965 kPa
    (350 to 430 psi)

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
FROM THE RAM 1500 (DT) SERVICE MANUAL
  1. With the A/C clutch engaged, compare the air temperature at the center panel outlet and the A/C compressor discharge pressure (high side) to the A/C Performance Temperature and Pressure chart. The A/C clutch may cycle, depending upon the ambient temperature and humidity. If the A/C clutch cycles, use the readings obtained before the clutch disengaged (coldest temperature).
This is excellent! Thanks!

It does correspond closely to what I learned in AC class back about 1986, that the best you can hope for on a really hot day is about a 40F drop. Still true though we're several refrigerants away from them days. I'd argue the low at 45F is too warm, but that might be a function of the automatic system. I always figured the minimum should be 36-38F to avoid freezeup.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There seems to be a few having issues with the AC performance. My young daughter and son think my AC is too cold, along with a friend. However, the psychological effects of suggestion based on complaints in here have caused me to conduct the test.

On a day that was 82 degrees F, I measured the outlet temperature per the setup outlined in the service manual, and using a Scientific American temperature probe it read 45 F.

FWIW. I did ask my tech. if they've had any AC performance complaints. Of course, western New York State isn't a stress environment as far as temperature, but the humidity can often be oppressive. Anyway, he said early on they had a couple of DTs come in with the complaint, and in those two cases he found the systems were not adequately charged.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021477 miles.

Ramster

Reaction score
It was supposed to have gotten to 99 today but I didn't turn the air on since I live only 2 miles from work but tomorrow (Wed) the forecast is 95 with the usual Ohio valley humidity I will try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread