5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Conditioning Always On?

pilotguybb

Reaction score
So, I see there are quite a few posts on AC issues...I have one that doesn't seem to be covered.

I'm having an issue where the AC seems to be on even when it is deactivated....the light is off and the symbol is not illuminated on the uconnect screen. On a relatively warm day, maybe 72-75 I can be driving down the road with the temperature knobs set to low but with the air off and the air seems to be on -- noticably cold and low humidity air. I basically have to turn the temperature knob to heat to not freeze myself out. The issue seems to come and go.

I took the truck to the dealership for some other things and mentioned this. The service advisor refused to even have it looked at saying that "Oh, as air goes over the evaporator it will blow cold without the AC on. If you turn on the recirculate button that should help."

First of all, that seems like bunk. No other car blows nice cold air without the AC running. This makes me wonder if something is screwed up and the AC condensor is always running and then will go belly up quickly. Thoughts?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So, I see there are quite a few posts on AC issues...I have one that doesn't seem to be covered.

I'm having an issue where the AC seems to be on even when it is deactivated....the light is off and the symbol is not illuminated on the uconnect screen. On a relatively warm day, maybe 72-75 I can be driving down the road with the temperature knobs set to low but with the air off and the air seems to be on -- noticably cold and low humidity air. I basically have to turn the temperature knob to heat to not freeze myself out. The issue seems to come and go.

I took the truck to the dealership for some other things and mentioned this. The service advisor refused to even have it looked at saying that "Oh, as air goes over the evaporator it will blow cold without the AC on. If you turn on the recirculate button that should help."

First of all, that seems like bunk. No other car blows nice cold air without the AC running. This makes me wonder if something is screwed up and the AC condensor is always running and then will go belly up quickly. Thoughts?
Glad I am not the only one that noticed this. I keep mine on Auto mostly, and noticed the same thing. Feels like the AC is on, but the light is off. I am assuming it is on, since I would def know if it wasn't here in the TX heat, so def a software bug in my opinion..

Narg

Reaction score
This is normal in just about every new vehicle these days. Many have had this for a couple of decades. The purpose is many-fold, but the biggest reason I hear is that it keeps the seals on the A/C from cracking due to dry and age by allowing coolant flow more often. The compressor won't cycle as much in colder weather but it will still move once in a while. A perfectly normal thing. Nothing to worry about.

DannyMc

Reaction score
I get this regularly when outside temp is in the low 70s and I turn off A/C and put windows down. The only way to shut off the cooling is to move the temp up, and then after a few minutes it kicks the heat on! It’s frustrating, but I love the truck. I was thinking the humidity sensor might be kicking the A/C if it reads a certain humidity level (I’m in FL).

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It maybe a software bug. I’ve noticed the same thing. As another has mentioned new vehicles have similar set ups. I haven’t seen actual compressor on, as they will just as a check and to circulate during long spans of no use.

the dual in one evaporators use velocity valves and high side line/pressure run inside low side in a/c systems. With compressor “blocked off” makes the Freon through pressure(temp)differentials flow back and forth from evap to condenser. Which is actually doing the job with out compressor pumping. It’s very efficient in the right temp zone. Obviously during summer temps it will be overwhelmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/