5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Condition issues

NHRoadking

Reaction score
123yf is not the problem. Many scientific comparison tests have been conducted, since 123 came out. The consensus is that 123 can produce the safe results as R134, as long as the system is designed properly. The difference between the two is negligible. The real problem with the Ram A/C is a design flaw. An engineer on this board admitted there was a design flaw, and FCA was aware of it.. He also stated that his team, did not think there would ever be a fix offered. I cannot find the thread, but it was about 3 to 4 months ago.

Why did he think Ram would not fix it?

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
He did not say. If I recall correctly, he stated that FCA was aware of an issue, and his team was working on a solution. A short time later, he posted that they did not foresee a solution anytime in the future. I've looked for his posts, and I can't find them. I imagine FCA had the posts taken down, or forced him to take them down.

My suspicion, is that there is a design flaw in the HVAC box, in the dash. Some trucks have the bad box, some don't. The only solution would be to tear the dash apart to replace the bad box. This is a very labor intensive job, which is probably why FCA won't admit to it.

There was a gentleman on this forum that had the same HVAC issues as everyone else. His dealer got the authorization to tear his dash apart and replace the HVAC box. Long story short, the dealer's service techs ended up destroying his new truck. Again, probably why FCA doesn't want to offer a fix for the problem. His name was Albert, and he stopped posting back in Dec. Not what ever happened with his truck. His thread about his HVAC, is a very good read. Here is the link below:

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
123yf is not the problem. Many scientific comparison tests have been conducted, since 123 came out. The consensus is that 123 can produce the safe results as R134, as long as the system is designed properly. The difference between the two is negligible. The real problem with the Ram A/C is a design flaw. An engineer on this board admitted there was a design flaw, and FCA was aware of it.. He also stated that his team, did not think there would ever be a fix offered. I cannot find the thread, but it was about 3 to 4 months ago.
really good point...I still think side by side, the 134 is a little colder, but not enough to account for the problem some are having. Guess it will never be corrected without changing the blend-door design. Weird how some have no real problem with the AC,(me), and others have big problems...we all have the same blend doors.

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
really good point...I still think side by side, the 134 is a little colder, but not enough to account for the problem some are having. Guess it will never be corrected without changing the blend-door design. Weird how some have no real problem with the AC,(me), and others have big problems...we all have the same blend doors.
It's my suspicion that maybe there is a lot of faulty HVAC boxes. However, I don't understand how it hasn't been solved by now.

dusturbd

Reaction score
The ac in my 2020 will get down to 39 degrees according to my inferred thermometer

Weside

Reaction score
The ac in my 2020 will get down to 39 degrees according to my inferred thermometer
That’s what my dealer said it should be at. Fired mine up today and with it running on max for 10 mins it didn’t go below 60.
I agree with the blend door issue. Probable cause is that it’s not closing all the way to keep the heat from escaping. Maybe they were to conservative with the programming and didn’t want the doors to close to tight. Probably a reason they kept breaking on the fourth gens. My 09 would freeze you out after 10 mins on low.

ldoh

Reaction score
That’s what my dealer said it should be at. Fired mine up today and with it running on max for 10 mins it didn’t go below 60.

Maybe you found a good dealer as others report their FCA dealerships claim 60F or 70F (really whatever your truck shows in the maintenance bay) is the expected a/c output vent temperature.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Well I test drove two 2020 Ram Limiteds yesterday (nobody close has a truck outfitted the way I want so I just wanted to test drive an Etorque 4x4 with 22s and 3.92s vs. EcoDiesel 4x4 with 22s and 3.92s) and BOTH of their A/Cs were the absolute worst A/Cs I've ever seen in any vehicle. The vehicle was started and idling for at least 5 minutes each while I looked at certain features etc. and I had the a/c max on, reciruclate and lowest setting. It was 90 degrees ambient temp outside and literally it felt like 75 degree air. I didn't even say anything and the salesman felt it and said "wow that's not cold at all". Then on the ED, he was trying to show me the backseat recline option and it reclined fine and then we he tried to put it back, the spring mechanism broke. I have owned two previous Rams and one Dakota (2002 Dodge Dakota 4x4 SLT+, 2009 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x2 1500 and 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4) and none had any issues. Needless to say the build quality is concerning. The A/C is a serious concern especially here in south Texas.

Users who are viewing this thread