5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Condition issues

Robmcerlean

Reaction score
2020 ram with 900 miles on it and the temp of my AC feels way hotter than what its reading .... its only 70° out so i put it on 65° and its blowing warm (yes i have the AC button on)
And i have tints around the entire truck
Also the rear vents on full fan blow like a human is blowing on you its horrible
Anything i can do/install to make temp colder??? I hate having it on LO and full fan but ive been forced to AND ITS ONLY MAY!
Great truck but what a **** job they did on AC ... had a 15 before this and wasnt great as well

M3Master

Reaction score
Either your blend door is stuck(like mine has done) or you have a ****ty A/C like a lot of us have :).

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

This thread should be stickied at the top of this page

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rear vents are the same as the dash vents. If you have it on dash only (or AUTO if you have it) you will have maximum flow through the rear vents. Dash/floor cuts airflow and anything else will remove airflow from the rear vents.

I had temp issues like many others. The dealership "tested" the A/C and it came back in spec. I had them re-program the blend door(s) and it made a big difference. Still not an icebox but at least it's effective now.

Last summer I would have the A/C on max speed (dash vents only) and recirc and it couldn't keep up once it got over 75F ambient. This spring at 85F ambient the cab was cool at fan speed 5 (dash/floor vents) and not on recirc. It took a bit to cool the crew cab down but it kept the cab cool even in stop-and-go traffic.

It's still not as cold as I'd like but at least it works now. My last truck I spent 10 years with a valve in the heater line and I'm not doing that again, especially with the price point of my truck.

bryan28

Reaction score
Mine will get down to 47* with a/c and recirculate on. I called the service dept and was told alot has to do with the current freon the govt mandated they have to use. He told me his is the same way on a Grand Cherokee he owns but that it still cool enough for the summer. So far in 82* temps it was cool enough. Later this summer will be the real test.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The newer freon 123yf, sucks compared to R 134,...no question.

dusturbd

Reaction score
I must be a lucky one I have a 20 Larimie I’m in Florida and have already seen 95deg days and my ac is extremely cold

dusturbd

Reaction score
You can replace r1234yf with 134a as our whole system was designed around 134a

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely not can you replace it with 134. Whole different system.. Dealers are charging anywhere from 250-400 just to SERVICE this stuff. Have to have 123yf specific machines. And the freon costs almost 10 times per pound than R 134.

dusturbd

Reaction score
Well if you google it it appears there are a lot of people doing it with great success I've read a few articles about the stuff the say the oil for 1234yf is compatible with 134a but not the other way around they also have the adapters to do it.
my not be legal but it is being done.

NHRoadking

Reaction score
If it's the refrigerant, then why do other vehicles have cold ac systems? Something is up with the Ram design or components.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok apparently it IS possible to get R134 into. 123yf system, you need a special fitting adapter for the input. I stand corrected. Of course you do have to worry about contamination if you don't get all the old stuff out, and Fed laws may bite you at inspection time. Plus say goodbye to any warranty on the AC system. I wouldn't do it.

dusturbd

Reaction score
Oh I get it there would be no warranty if the truck is still under warranty but then again if it’s under warranty I would just tell the dealer to fix it
If it’s out of warranty I might have to give it ago seeing how much cheaper 134a is
Don’t know of any kind of fed inspections you would have to worry about

ldoh

Reaction score
If it's the refrigerant, then why do other vehicles have cold ac systems? Something is up with the Ram design or components.

Hard to say but one thing is for certain, it's all on FCA. If they did their homework we wouldn't be dealing with this.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh I get it there would be no warranty if the truck is still under warranty but then again if it’s under warranty I would just tell the dealer to fix it
If it’s out of warranty I might have to give it ago seeing how much cheaper 134a is
Don’t know of any kind of fed inspections you would have to worry about
It wouldn't be a Federal Inspection, but rather violation of Fed emissions law. In some states without anual inspection that's no problem, here in MA, it could be a big problem. It falls under " tampering with emissions" due to the fact that R134 emits greenhouse gases, 123yf doesn't.

2wd

Reaction score
The new refrigerant is not the problem. If it were, when folks do the AC Hack they would still have poor AC. Instead, they get amazingly cold AC (40's) after the Hack.
There is a design flaw/defect that is letting blend heat into the system when it shouldn't be.

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
123yf is not the problem. Many scientific comparison tests have been conducted, since 123 came out. The consensus is that 123 can produce the safe results as R134, as long as the system is designed properly. The difference between the two is negligible. The real problem with the Ram A/C is a design flaw. An engineer on this board admitted there was a design flaw, and FCA was aware of it.. He also stated that his team, did not think there would ever be a fix offered. I cannot find the thread, but it was about 3 to 4 months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread