5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AGS Removal - Rebel

popcenator

Reaction score
I'm looking to remove the grill shutters. I'm doing this to get some more benefit from the Vararam, and to keep the engine cooler. After removing the piece right above the grill, it looks like I may be able to remove the shutters without taking apart half of the front end. I'm not sure if the Rebel has more room behind the grill than the other models but just wondering if anyone else with the Rebel has done so.

Also, can someone please move this to the Rebel subforum since I'm a doofus.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking to remove the grill shutters. I'm doing this to get some more benefit from the Vararam, and to keep the engine cooler. After removing the piece right above the grill, it looks like I may be able to remove the shutters without taking apart half of the front end. I'm not sure if the Rebel has more room behind the grill than the other models but just wondering if anyone else with the Rebel has done so.

Also, can someone please move this to the Rebel subforum since I'm a doofus.

Could you just disconnect the linkage from the motor at the bottom leaving them in the fully open position?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

popcenator

Reaction score
Could you just disconnect the linkage from the motor at the bottom leaving them in the fully open position?

From what I've read, it'll throw a CEL. A lot of people just remove the middle 4 shutters, leaving the top and bottom to prevent the CEL.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just a question...on the 4th gens, the Rebel models don't have the active grille shutters. Are you sure yours has them?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I've read, it'll throw a CEL. A lot of people just remove the middle 4 shutters, leaving the top and bottom to prevent the CEL.

Okay just an idea, I thought it would only throw code if you disconnected the wire harness to the motor. I figured with the linkage disconnected it would be able to fool it enough.

popcenator

Reaction score
Okay just an idea, I thought it would only throw code if you disconnected the wire harness to the motor. I figured with the linkage disconnected it would be able to fool it enough.

I know the motor is looking for a certain range from the arm, and part of that requires movement from at least the top shutter. I'm going to look at it closer tomorrow to be sure.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The motor will still have to move its total “sweep” how ever you delete it

popcenator

Reaction score
To answer my own question, yes you can remove the shutters without removing the grill. I got all but two removed to keep the CEL off. I took the truck for a short spin and it seems to move a little easier especially in the upper RPMs. It's pretty windy today so I couldn't get a true 0-60. I've only tried once to get a 0-60 before with the VR on and that was 6.1 seconds.

Last edited:

MurdaRam

Reaction score
To answer my own question, yes you can remove the shutters without removing the grill. I got all but two removed to keep the CEL off. I took the truck for a short spin and it seems to move a little easier especially in the upper RPMs. It's pretty windy today so I couldn't get a true 0-60. I've only tried once to get a 0-60 before with the VR on and that was 6.1 seconds.

Can you post steps on how you did it and pics if possible? Didn’t know it was possible without taking off the grille. Thanks!

popcenator

Reaction score
Can you post steps on how you did it and pics if possible? Didn’t know it was possible without taking off the grille. Thanks!
I'll see if I can get some pictures. The Rebel grille gives you enough space to work, I'm not sure about the other grilles. It is kind of a tight squeeze, but it was better than taking the front end apart in my opinion.

Last edited:

M2k

Reaction score
I'll see if I can get some pictures. The Rebel grille gives you enough space to work, I'm not sure about the other grilles. It is kind of a tight squeeze, but it was better than taking the front end apart in my opinion.

I did the same mod on a 21 big horn.

I left the two middle slats but still got a CEL. The OP hasn’t been back here since February. There doesn’t seem to be anything restricting its movement.

Are you still CEL free? I’m going to try Alfaobd again today to see if there are any settings to delete there and will post an update.

I’m surprised there is so little info on this in the 5th gens. The advantages far outweigh the CAFE 0.5 mpg increase from this, especially for rebels.

popcenator

Reaction score

I left the two middle slats but still got a CEL. The OP hasn’t been back here since February. There doesn’t seem to be anything restricting its movement.

Are you still CEL free? I’m going to try Alfaobd again today to see if there are any settings to delete there and will post an update.

I’m surprised there is so little info on this in the 5th gens. The advantages far outweigh the CAFE 0.5 mpg increase from this, especially for rebels.
I am still CEL free. I left the middle and the very bottom one on. I've tried a couple different combinations and those triggered the CEL. This combo seems to keep the system happy.

Reactions: M2k

M2k

Reaction score
Thank you! Unfortunately I have to pull the front end off again lol

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I removed mine several hundred (400+) miles ago. I only did the top 2 slats since that's all I needed for the Vararam scoop. Haven't gotten a CEL yet.

Reactions: M2k

M2k

Reaction score
Popcenator,

Just to reconfirm before I reassemble, below is what you did?

A774E82D-110F-4619-9E8F-1A55CD5C174C.jpeg
Middle and bottom still in place and no CEL?
Did the CEL clear itself?
Thanks

popcenator

Reaction score
Popcenator,

Just to reconfirm before I reassemble, below is what you did?

View attachment 94760
Middle and bottom still in place and no CEL?
Did the CEL clear itself?
Thanks
Sorry I just saw this but yeah that's what I did. I can't remember if I cleared the CEL myself or if it went away. I think I may have cleared it myself with the T2. It may go away though once it does it's first check/cycle.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i removed my shutters and i dont get any codes i just took the motor out and reconnected it to wire harness and ziptied it because of my aftermarket bumper

Attachments

• 1728B991-22FB-4D9A-853B-E4759C0EB9DB.jpeg
    1728B991-22FB-4D9A-853B-E4759C0EB9DB.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 16

M2k

Reaction score
Happy to report my CEL is out after three key cycles. Thanks for your help!

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if it just turned off by itself know that it's still stored in the system until cleared. If you take it to the dealer, and they look through the system they'll see there was a code and know that you messed with it.

Users who are viewing this thread