5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket wheel question

N0GX

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Bighorn 1500 with the Off Road Group package. I'm looking at aftermarket wheels and found some I like, they are 18X9 with a +12mm offset. I've seen these wheels on several sites, and they show that they should fit my truck, but when I called one of the places to ask about fitment (I know nothing about offset), they wanted to check with the manufacturer, they got back and said these would not fit on my truck, that with an 18" wheel it would hit the caliper, and told me I would need to look at 20's. My factory wheels are 18", what do you guys think? Will that size fit my truck? I'd like to stay with 18" wheels if at all possible.

Goldsy

Reaction score
There are a few posts about this. Not all 18s fit. There is such little clearance there that the stick on wheel weights don't clear the calipers. Some people have even taken a grinder to the calipers to make 18s fit. I believe there is a list here in the forums of 18 inch wheels that are known to fit without issue.

N0GX

Reaction score
There are a few posts about this. Not all 18s fit. There is such little clearance there that the stick on wheel weights don't clear the calipers. Some people have even taken a grinder to the calipers to make 18s fit. I believe there is a list here in the forums of 18 inch wheels that are known to fit without issue.
I'll see if I can find that, thank you.

nat

Reaction score
I am confused. My 2019 laramie with orp has 17 inch rims. Why would my stock 17s fit but some 18s wont?

nat

Reaction score
Yours is probably a Ram Classic. If it has 5 lugs, it is, and that's why a 17" wheel fits.
Huh weird, no its a 6 lug. Looking, i think the classic only comes in big horn and tradesman as 2 door? Mines a laramie crew cab. Totally confused now.

Edit: it actually has 18 inch rims 😂. I could have sworn i read the sizes earleir this week and it said 17

CanRebel

Reaction score
far from expert on wheels. But isn't one factor the offset?

I had 18's on my 2021 Rebel and changed them to 20's

mr.fusion

Reaction score
Offset of the wheel has more impact on how big a tire you can fit.... whether the tire will clear the fender when turning or rub the inside of the tire on the suspension, etc. But it's not going to matter for fitting over the brake calipers.
I have Method NV 18's .......they fit, but it's tight. The stick-on lead weights do hit the caliper, so you have to use hammer-on weights to balance the wheel. Some 18s fit better. Not sure which are good or bad

Go Hawks! ha ha

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not an expert...

My understanding is that the stock 18" rims have the inner edge tapering up, towards the tire. So, that leaves a little more space for the caliper. Most (all?) aftermarket wheels have a mostly flat profile, such that the inner surface would not clear the caliper.

If you increase the offset (going from the stock positive measurement to something lower or negative) that could create the clearance.

Also, some folks have ground down the caliper casting to create a bit more (1/8") clearance.

If you're wed to the idea of 18" wheels, try to get a sample with the same offset and see if a little judicious caliper grinding would make it work.

All the above is worth exactly what you paid for it. ;)

N0GX

Reaction score
After chatting with a member on here, and a customer service rep at SD Wheels, I ended up ordering a set of Icon Alloy Rebounds in 18x9 with 0 offset. We have our own tire shop where I work, and they have a set of 275/70 R18's on the shelf waiting for me to put on when my wheels arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread