5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFTERMARKET UCA

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
The front suspension was revised. That is the reason why zone does not recommend using the old-style control arms. Suspension droop is the biggest problem. Most people don’t take these trucks off-road getting a wheel or wheels off the ground putting the additional stress maxing out cv angle and ball joint angle.

I can’t remember where I read specifically about the UCA difference but this article explains our suspension very well.

I thought the BDS control arms were around $350. I was confusing that with the rough country upper arms.
Now here’s the funny thing... take a look at the upper control arms from BDS.

They are listed as fitting a 2006 through 2020 ram 1500. BDS and zone are the same company. Now obviously these are two different products and the BDS Arms add 1.4° of positive caster. That will move the wheel forward and give more clearance for larger tires. It is not an OEM spec arm therefore I would have to assume logically that’s why it would fit 2006 through 2020 trucks.... interesting.
The BDS part number for the DT UCAs is the same part number BDS uses in the DS trucks..
Same with ICON, same with Total Chaos. They are the same UCA's.

Rear shocks are different for sure. Front struts use the same mounts but spring seats are placed differently. Front UCAs seem to be the same. I'd think rear control arms and trackbar will be the same. Maybe front LCAs and tierods will be the same.

merdon1332000

Reaction score
Yes you’ll be at 3.5 inches and yes your CV angles will be really bad. That much lift is not recommended for off-road use. The upper control arms from the fourth gen ram will fit but they are not the same geometry. Why not upgrade to the BDS tubular control arms for the 2020. Priced very reasonably and are actually designed for the fifth gen
BDS website list UCA from 06-21

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BDS website list UCA from 06-21
$772 for UCAs is reasonably priced? 😳😳
You must have a couple more zeros than me at the end of your bank acct 😂

Ipswichrob

Reaction score
To clarify I have the mopar 2" lift with ORP springs in front netting approx 3" of lift in front and 2" in rear. The extra inch of lift in the front comes from the ORP spring. I didn't modify the UCA at all even though they were for a 4th gen but they fit like a glove.
Did you adjust or check your alignment? I have a 2021 and installed the 2” motofab spacers and looking (as others) into UCA . I never off road .

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
there's a thread with 2 people with bds ucas which have snapped under minimal offroading causing alot of damage to other components. haven't seen any other ucas fail besides the bds ucas. I was looking into ordering bds uca until I saw that post then thought maybe it was an isolated incident but then another member shared that his bds snapped the same way so im not so sure about ordering bds now.

Users who are viewing this thread