5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFTERMARKET UCA

Hemipower2020

Reaction score
So after doing lots of reading of these threads, I have decided to go with the Motofab 2.5 level kit. I have the ORP. Now I am trying to decide on replacement UCAs. I have contacted Readylift and they do not offer selling just the UCAs. I have reached out to Zone and they do not suggest using their UCAs on the 2020 model. I have looked at the Rough Country and they are recommended for 3-3.5 inches of suspension lift for their UCAs. Does the ORP make the RC UCAs acceptable with the Motofab 2.5 level? My theory is that would be 3.5" total. I could be wrong. Just trying to get an idea what others that have the ORP and 2.5" level are running for your UCA.

justinbeez

Reaction score
@Ramdo states in his signature he uses the zones UCAs on his 2020, you could always ask him. Otherwise, there's BDS for around 700 or so, Icon for around 800, you can contact Fabtech and ask them, and Carli is having a kit released later this summer. I'm assuming he'll make UCAs to go along with it, if he hasn't already reused his previous version.

Ramdo - 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - ORP - 3.92 Gears
*UPGRADES* Westin Pro Mod Front Bumper/Skid Plate (powder coat matched) - NFAB Epyx Steps - Diode Dynamics Light Bars - Zone Offroad UCA - Bilstein 5100 front - Bilstein 5160 Rear Shocks - 18x9 Gear Offroad Blackhawk - 295x70r18 Cooper ST Maxx - Retrax One XR - Borla Muffler/Resonator delete "

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So after doing lots of reading of these threads, I have decided to go with the Motofab 2.5 level kit. I have the ORP. Now I am trying to decide on replacement UCAs. I have contacted Readylift and they do not offer selling just the UCAs. I have reached out to Zone and they do not suggest using their UCAs on the 2020 model. I have looked at the Rough Country and they are recommended for 3-3.5 inches of suspension lift for their UCAs. Does the ORP make the RC UCAs acceptable with the Motofab 2.5 level? My theory is that would be 3.5" total. I could be wrong. Just trying to get an idea what others that have the ORP and 2.5" level are running for your UCA.
I gained a 3.5" with my lift setup and these are what I have on my truck (link below). I know the site says for years 12-18 but trust me they work and they are priced reasonably.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Yes you’ll be at 3.5 inches and yes your CV angles will be really bad. That much lift is not recommended for off-road use. The upper control arms from the fourth gen ram will fit but they are not the same geometry. Why not upgrade to the BDS tubular control arms for the 2020. Priced very reasonably and are actually designed for the fifth gen

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes you’ll be at 3.5 inches and yes your CV angles will be really bad. That much lift is not recommended for off-road use. The upper control arms from the fourth gen ram will fit but they are not the same geometry. Why not upgrade to the BDS tubular control arms for the 2020. Priced very reasonably and are actually designed for the fifth gen
Can you confirm the 4th gen UCAs are not the same geometry, I have no issues with them at all. $735 for BDS UCAs is not reasonably priced IMO

justinbeez

Reaction score
Can you confirm the 4th gen UCAs are not the same geometry, I have no issues with them at all. $735 for BDS UCAs is not reasonably priced IMO

I believe BDS, carli, icon have slightly better angles than RC. RL, and mopar. You also get what you pay for. You could always wait for Carli to put out his kit for the 2020 at the end of summer or so and see if he re uses his 2018 UCAs or fabs new ones.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe BDS, carli, icon have slightly better angles than RC. RL, and mopar. You also get what you pay for. You could always wait for Carli to put out his kit for the 2020 at the end of summer or so and see if he re uses his 2018 UCAs or fabs new ones.
I agree the Mopar angles aren't good at all with 3.5" lift and can't speak for the other brands but my RC UCA angle is perfect with 3.5" lift. If you plan on doing some extreme off-roading then sure spend the $735 on some UCAs but if your truck barely sees a dirt road now and again then $299 for some RCs sounds much better and will work just fine. The RC forged UCAs (link below) for 2020 rams are half the amount as BDS.

Last edited:

Zoompastu

Reaction score
The front suspension was revised. That is the reason why zone does not recommend using the old-style control arms. Suspension droop is the biggest problem. Most people don’t take these trucks off-road getting a wheel or wheels off the ground putting the additional stress maxing out cv angle and ball joint angle.

I can’t remember where I read specifically about the UCA difference but this article explains our suspension very well.

I thought the BDS control arms were around $350. I was confusing that with the rough country upper arms.
Now here’s the funny thing... take a look at the upper control arms from BDS.

They are listed as fitting a 2006 through 2020 ram 1500. BDS and zone are the same company. Now obviously these are two different products and the BDS Arms add 1.4° of positive caster. That will move the wheel forward and give more clearance for larger tires. It is not an OEM spec arm therefore I would have to assume logically that’s why it would fit 2006 through 2020 trucks.... interesting.

justinbeez

Reaction score
I agree the Mopar angles aren't good at all with 3.5" lift and can't speak for the other brands but my RL UCA angle is perfect with 3.5" lift. If you plan on doing some extreme off-roading then sure spend the $735 on some UCAs but if your truck barely sees a dirt road now and again then $299 for some RCs sounds much better and will work just fine. The RC forged UCAs (link below) for 2020 rams are half the amount as BDS.

Then your RCs should be fine. There's a recent thread with a picture and the joint looks like it goes out pretty far. The forged aluminum and quality of the joint itself remains to be seen.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The front suspension was revised. That is the reason why zone does not recommend using the old-style control arms. Suspension droop is the biggest problem. Most people don’t take these trucks off-road getting a wheel or wheels off the ground putting the additional stress maxing out cv angle and ball joint angle.

I can’t remember where I read specifically about the UCA difference but this article explains our suspension very well.

I thought the BDS control arms were around $350. I was confusing that with the rough country upper arms.
Now here’s the funny thing... take a look at the upper control arms from BDS.

They are listed as fitting a 2006 through 2020 ram 1500. BDS and zone are the same company. Now obviously these are two different products and the BDS Arms add 1.4° of positive caster. That will move the wheel forward and give more clearance for larger tires. It is not an OEM spec arm therefore I would have to assume logically that’s why it would fit 2006 through 2020 trucks.... interesting.
All very good information to help out the OP as well as anyone looking to upgrade. Like you said it all depends on how much off-roading you do. I don't go off-road much so RCs work great for me and someone looking to save a little Mula. If you want bigger and better go for the BDS or RLs.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Hemipower2020, not sure if we confused you more or helped you out but there are options out there and they range quite a bit in quality and price so do a little more research but you will need some new UCAs to help out your angle after your level. This is what the RC UCA angle looks like on my truck with 3.5" of lift.
IMG_20200501_155418.jpg

Last edited:

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check out this thread as well. Probably the route I'm gonna take.

Installed bilstein 5100 with rough country forged uca

Last edited:

Pandyman

Reaction score
I’m the one that posted the rough country forged Uca with the 5100s. I personally think they are great defiantly worth the price. I work in a quarry so I am off road pretty often and I have been pretty rough on them already and have no complaints about them so far at all. If you have any questions I would be happy to help the best I can.

Hemipower2020

Reaction score
Much appreciated on all the information. There is no doubt that I will be changing the UCAs, just didn't know which way to go. The Zone UCAs is what had me confused the most. Their website states that they are good for 06-19 models, but their response to my questioning on the 2020s was a no go. I was initially leaning towards these as I knew that they were affiliated with BDS

• Mfg: Zone Offroad # D2301
  • Everyday Low Price $499.95
  • In-Stock
  • View Product
  • 06-19 Dodge/Ram Ram 1500 4WD
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 and I am wanting to know if the D2301 upper control arms will work on the 2020 model? Please let me know as I would like to purchase these.
Thank you
Joshua Anzell <[email protected]>
Tue, Jun 9, 1:05 PM (2 days ago)
to me
Good afternoon,

Those are not intended for 2020 model Ram trucks. I apologize.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Much appreciated on all the information. There is no doubt that I will be changing the UCAs, just didn't know which way to go. The Zone UCAs is what had me confused the most. Their website states that they are good for 06-19 models, but their response to my questioning on the 2020s was a no go. I was initially leaning towards these as I knew that they were affiliated with BDS

• Mfg: Zone Offroad # D2301
  • Everyday Low Price $499.95
  • In-Stock
  • View Product
  • 06-19 Dodge/Ram Ram 1500 4WD
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 and I am wanting to know if the D2301 upper control arms will work on the 2020 model? Please let me know as I would like to purchase these.
Thank you
Joshua Anzell <[email protected]>
Tue, Jun 9, 1:05 PM (2 days ago)
to me
Good afternoon,

Those are not intended for 2020 model Ram trucks. I apologize.
I don't know much about the Zone UCAs so I can't help you out with those. Do you do alot of off-roading?

Hemipower2020

Reaction score
I do not. This is my daily driver. After reading your posts, I am looking more into the RCs. Very informative information coming from a fellow Ram owner. Thank you

puba08

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread....but I just got an email from Zone stating their UCA’s are compatible with the 2020 DT trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rickymetcalf

Reaction score
I gained a 3.5" with my lift setup and these are what I have on my truck (link below). I know the site says for years 12-18 but trust me they work and they are priced reasonably.

Just to clear up you did the Motofab 2.5 leaving kit and

Just to make sure I read everything right you did a 2.5 motofab leving kit and rough country upper control arms and in total you have 3.5 inch of lift? Did you have to do any mortification to the control arms since they are for the 4th gen ram?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to clear up you did the Motofab 2.5 leaving kit and

Just to make sure I read everything right you did a 2.5 motofab leving kit and rough country upper control arms and in total you have 3.5 inch of lift? Did you have to do any mortification to the control arms since they are for the 4th gen ram?
To clarify I have the mopar 2" lift with ORP springs in front netting approx 3" of lift in front and 2" in rear. The extra inch of lift in the front comes from the ORP spring. I didn't modify the UCA at all even though they were for a 4th gen but they fit like a glove.

Users who are viewing this thread