5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket subwoofer options? Don’t want to lose storage

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cheap versions

RAMMER80

Reaction score
My only worry is drawing too much power and stressing the trucks power system. I want a super moderate amp and subwoofer. Especially with the Etorqe system I don’t want any issues.

Also. When I install the PAC AmpPro does it tell the factory sub to not work? I don’t want both to run.

patriot_tech

Reaction score
My only worry is drawing too much power and stressing the trucks power system. I want a super moderate amp and subwoofer. Especially with the Etorqe system I don’t want any issues.

Also. When I install the PAC AmpPro does it tell the factory sub to not work? I don’t want both to run.
Power should not be a problem - I am running a JL HD 1200 on subs and no problem. No the PAC will not 'shut off' factory sub - you'll need to physically unplug it.

RAMMER80

Reaction score
Power should not be a problem - I am running a JL HD 1200 on subs and no problem. No the PAC will not 'shut off' factory sub - you'll need to physically unplug it.
Ok great. Some reason the Etorqe and all the electrical made me worried.

Do your lights dim with the amp?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Go with a quality amp and you shouldn't need to worry about the electrical system since you're not looking for a huge system. As mentioned you'll either need to disconnect the OEM sub, or not worry about it, unless you crank the system.

RAMMER80

Reaction score
Go with a quality amp and you shouldn't need to worry about the electrical system since you're not looking for a huge system. As mentioned you'll either need to disconnect the OEM sub, or not worry about it, unless you crank the system.
Unplugging the factory amp I would think would reduce about 200 amp draw. So if I add a 500-800 RMS amp it won’t be that much more of a draw.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unplugging the factory amp I would think would reduce about 200 amp draw. So if I add a 500-800 RMS amp it won’t be that much more of a draw.
You'll need the factory amp plugged in for highs and not sure it can be unplugged with the system anyways. A lot of these vehicles now days, everything is integrated. Maybe someone else can confirm.

RAMMER80

Reaction score
True. But the sub won’t be pulling power so I should save a bit somewhere.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can disconnect the sub as mentioned already. Unless you're putting a huge system in, you're fine and no need to worry about drawing too much.

patriot_tech

Reaction score
If you are just adding subs, then unplug the factory SUB. You should be able to reach plug under the seat near the base of the sub enclosure. Pull the cover out a bit, and you'll see a small white plug about 1/2" square.

Leave the factory amp connected to power front speakers.

Quint

Reaction score
Don’t overlook building your own sub box. It’s a very easy project even for mechanically-challenged folks. Watch a few online videos if needed.

I built this and put it in my 2021 bighorn. Yes there are important factors to pay attention to but it’s not rocket science.

Attachments

• IMG_5983.jpeg
    IMG_5983.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6513.jpeg
    IMG_6513.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6514.jpeg
    IMG_6514.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 19

RAMMER80

Reaction score
Don’t overlook building your own sub box. It’s a very easy project even for mechanically-challenged folks. Watch a few online videos if needed.

I built this and put it in my 2021 bighorn. Yes there are important factors to pay attention to but it’s not rocket science.
I considered it. I built a few in the past but a little more simple. I just don’t want to spend the time otherwise I would. Yours looks great though.

Users who are viewing this thread