5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket subwoofer options? Don’t want to lose storage

RAMMER80

Reaction score
I got the itch to upgrade my stereo by adding an aftermarket subwoofer. I plan to use an PAC amppro module and have that all planned on how I will run it.

I have the Alpine system with 12” screen.

My question is does anyone have any suggestions on a subwoofer box that won’t take up all my under seat storage? I’m fine with loosing half of it but I would hate to loose it all.

I’m even ok with one of the amplified boxes like JL makes but wondering about the fit. The goal would be to mount it under the rear seats.

An 8” or 10” subwoofer with 250-350 watts RMS is plenty for me.

RAMMER80

Reaction score

This looks interesting. Mine is a 23 Bighorn crew cab. I wonder if it will fit

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'll have to buy a shallow mount sub to fit in there, and the box volume is on the smaller side even for a shallow mount. Just make sure you match the proper sub to the box if you get that one.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Want a little more punch than the HK system gives with the sub on the back wall, but I have a lot of stuff stored under my seats and don't want to lose it.

Last edited:

gwilburn

Reaction score
Just came from the 9-speaker Alpine (with subwoofer) in my 2014 to the 9-speaker Alpine in the 2024 Limited. I couldn't be more disappointed in the sound. Not just the base, but the entire range. Obviously not the same system.
Listening to SXM Mine seems to actually lose sound quality and "depth" while driving down the road.

Not to hijack your thread... but It would be great to improve this system with as little work as possible.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just came from the 9-speaker Alpine (with subwoofer) in my 2014 to the 9-speaker Alpine in the 2024 Limited. I couldn't be more disappointed in the sound. Not just the base, but the entire range. Obviously not the same system.
Listening to SXM Mine seems to actually lose sound quality and "depth" while driving down the road.

Not to hijack your thread... but It would be great to improve this system with as little work as possible.
Alpine is VERY flat sounding. I had the 14 and 17 w/ Alpine

RAMMER80

Reaction score
Check out Net Audio for their behind the seat box
That looks awesome. I wanted to stay under 800$ for the full install but that might be worth waiting for. Especially because my understanding is I wouldn’t need to use the PAC Amp kit for RCA cables. It looks like the signal can come from the factory sub wire. Basically would just need to run a power cable.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks awesome. I wanted to stay under 800$ for the full install but that might be worth waiting for. Especially because my understanding is I wouldn’t need to use the PAC Amp kit for RCA cables. It looks like the signal can come from the factory sub wire. Basically would just need to run a power cable.
I haven't looked fully into it, just seen others post about it. I have 2 JL Audio 12W3 goin in, come Spring. Net Audio does great work from what I've seen posted about them.

gwilburn

Reaction score
Alpine is VERY flat sounding. I had the 14 and 17 w/ Alpine
I thought my 14 sounded awesome... but I had the Laramie and still paid extra for the sound system.
I can literally hear the 2024 sound quality change (SiriusXM) driving down the road.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought my 14 sounded awesome... but I had the Laramie and still paid extra for the sound system.
I can literally hear the 2024 sound quality change (SiriusXM) driving down the road.
Had you swapped out the dash speakers, you would of realized how flat sounding the system was. Many have said that and for that reason swapped speakers.

gwilburn

Reaction score
Had you swapped out the dash speakers, you would of realized how flat sounding the system was. Many have said that and for that reason swapped speakers.
How much work is it to replace those speakers?

Fbird

Reaction score
the oem box is the ONLY way to add something without losing storage. the SKAR box I added to mine allows the driver's rear under-seat area to remain open yet offers a single 12" that will give you enough thump for most listeners. Stereo stuff is always a complex formula. You must decide how much stereo you want vs how much room you don't have vs how much technology has improved sound vs subwoffers still require 1.25 qubic ft each to actually HIT you with feeling! A pr of 8" subs in a 1.5 qft box with 1000 watt amp still will not deliver what a single 12" in the same box with a 500 watt amp will do.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How much work is it to replace those speakers?
I did 4 doors and the front dash. Very easy and made a huge difference. Alpine should be ashamed to have their name on this system. They use to be the gold standard.

~Ocho1~

Reaction score

Fbird

Reaction score
good to know!!!!
Thanks for pointing that one out. I missed it when I was searching for an upgrade but i must say at $1400 it better knock the windows out. Granted...very nice looking work but in THIS case i must rewrite my audio equation to include price point. I would certainly have to HEAR feel touch that before i could drop that kind of cash on it.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fox Acoustics w/ Single 12"

Users who are viewing this thread