5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Rear Bed Step?

AmmoRamGuy

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend with confidence, an aftermarket retractable bed step that is NOT Mopar that you may have experience installing and using that won't break the bank? I see there are many options on eBay and Amazon, but do not want to pull the trigger on any of those unless getting a good recommendation from someone here. Of course, the typical questions exist:

Does it fit? Does it seem sturdy and well built? Does it work well? Are you happy with it?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend with confidence, an aftermarket retractable bed step that is NOT Mopar that you may have experience installing and using that won't break the bank? I see there are many options on eBay and Amazon, but do not want to pull the trigger on any of those unless getting a good recommendation from someone here. Of course, the typical questions exist:

Does it fit? Does it seem sturdy and well built? Does it work well? Are you happy with it?
From everything I've seen on the forums about these steps, you are better off buying the Mopar one. Things I've seen are poor fit and flimsy construction. I have the Mopar one and installed it after buying the truck and no regrets.

AmmoRamGuy

Reaction score
From everything I've seen on the forums about these steps, you are better off buying the Mopar one. Things I've seen are poor fit and flimsy construction. I have the Mopar one and installed it after buying the truck and no regrets.
Would you happen to have the Mopar part number handy? I'm assuming 5th Gen 1500 fitment?

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased this in August and it is firm and works perfectly after surviving this winter. Time will tell how it holds up. Still looks brand new, kicks out and retracts without issue. It was a value gamble purchase at 1/4 the price of brand new Mopar unit. I’m happy with it this far.

1710713526119.png

Wild Bill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like @jamie.howlett installed the same one too. Same brand and all. 👍🏻
And i did this same 'ole mans' bed step back in Sept as well. Solid, works fine after the first winter.
My problem is that I can't decide how to get down, do I face forward or backwards.
If facing forward, don't trip on the tailgate cable...
Don't ask me how I know!

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And i did this same 'ole mans' bed step back in Sept as well. Solid, works fine after the first winter.
My problem is that I can't decide how to get down, do I face forward or backwards.
Don't ask me how I know!
Come to think of it, I don’t know how I get down, forward or backward🤔. Glad to see you didn’t die via the tailgate cable. Imagine seeing that comment on the death certificate! Joking aside, hope you didn’t get hurt, and now I’ll have to pay close attention next time I get down.

Wild Bill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2 things...
No one saw it which means no one filmed it... 🤣
I hurt my pride! 🤣🤣🤣

With no one around it would have really $ucked if I had gotten hurt.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don't ask me how I know!
Definitely forward. Step down with right foot first that way your left foot is closer to edge of tailgate away from the cable

Users who are viewing this thread