5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Rear Bed Step

Kaldir1934

Reaction score
Hey All,

I want to add the rear bed step to my RAM, and noticed that the Mopar one costs around $300. I have seen some aftermarket E-Bay specials for only $120.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with aftermarket rear bed steps VS the mopar one.

At least with the Mopar brand, I know what I'm getting.

Thanks,

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All I have is the side rear Mopar mount that came on the truck & then I added a stinger style hitch step to give me a lift & sting most who might hit me in the rear. Got it off Amazon after reading some good reviews & doesn’t rattle, but might not be exactly what you’re looking for.

Attachments

• E82FC275-D10E-4FD7-B929-BED42C448393.jpeg
    E82FC275-D10E-4FD7-B929-BED42C448393.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 166
  • D7AA7331-4836-4F5B-9281-991E3E0D40FB.jpeg
    D7AA7331-4836-4F5B-9281-991E3E0D40FB.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 161

John Jensen

Reaction score
I have the AMP bumper step on both of my Rams. Gret step.
On another forum, there was the same question and a couple of responses from owners who bought the eBay step reported they were very impressed with the quality, etc

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Check post #188 on this thread.

Kaldir1934

Reaction score
All I have is the side rear Mopar mount that came on the truck & then I added a stinger style hitch step to give me a lift & sting most who might hit me in the rear. Got it off Amazon after reading some good reviews & doesn’t rattle, but might not be exactly what you’re looking for.
I might pick one of those up too. I wouldn't mind adding that to be honest, and I would perfer something to be installed there instead of just the empty square.

I have the AMP bumper step on both of my Rams. Gret step.
On another forum, there was the same question and a couple of responses from owners who bought the eBay step reported they were very impressed with the quality, etc
I'll take a look at the AMP one also, thanks!

Check post #188 on this thread.

Thank you! I was having issues finding any threads with info on them. The post below that one says the E-Bay ones are steel and the Mopar are aluminum, and that right there would make me want to get the mopar one. I'm up in NY, and steel loves to rust here.

Thanks every one.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I might pick one of those up too. I wouldn't mind adding that to be honest, and I would perfer something to be installed there instead of just the empty square.

I'll take a look at the AMP one also, thanks!

Thank you! I was having issues finding any threads with info on them. The post below that one says the E-Bay ones are steel and the Mopar are aluminum, and that right there would make me want to get the mopar one. I'm up in NY, and steel loves to rust here.

Thanks every one.
If Mopar is aluminum it's only the step. The framework and mounts are steel

RebelChip

Reaction score
Hey All,

I want to add the rear bed step to my RAM, and noticed that the Mopar one costs around $300. I have seen some aftermarket E-Bay specials for only $120.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with aftermarket rear bed steps VS the mopar one.

At least with the Mopar brand, I know what I'm getting.

Thanks,
I had both, I really didn't see that much of a difference between them to warrant spending double for the mopar step. You can check out my post were I show pictures of both.................https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/bed-step-for-sale-sold.39751/#post-601004

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd at least stay away from the ones that have a mirrored picture that makes it look like it would fit the right side, they obviously don't know what they are doing. Other knockoffs are of unknown quality, you usually get what you pay for.

GP-TEK

Reaction score
What’s your experience using those steps with the tailgate down? We got a CAP so wife needs to be able to get onto the tailgate surface then climb onto the bed (inside the cap) to access things. (When I am not around).

Toperz

Reaction score
I got this from amazon for$75 and I'm really happy. Works like mopar and it is aluminium powder coated.
7b8e57d48fc293e88b2f42461adf299b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What’s your experience using those steps with the tailgate down? We got a CAP so wife needs to be able to get onto the tailgate surface then climb onto the bed (inside the cap) to access things. (When I am not around).
Works pretty good for me that way. Left foot on step, right hand inside bed by tail light, a little twist pulling up while right foot on tailgate becomes second step. I think they make a hand-hold assist accessory for inside the bed, which I don't have but might be additional help. I don't have a cap, but I'm guessing there might be a tendency to hit head or right shoulder on rear window if it is open.

John Jensen

Reaction score
They are made to work with the tailgate down, but you climb up at the edge of the tailgate, not the rear. Depend on how agile your wife is. I would rather you get her a ladder type, much easier climbing in.

GP-TEK

Reaction score
They are made to work with the tailgate down, but you climb up at the edge of the tailgate, not the rear. Depend on how agile your wife is. I would rather you get her a ladder type, much easier climbing in.
Thanks John! Will look into those.

Users who are viewing this thread