5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket motor skip plate?

BrokeKen

Reaction score
Does anyone have real world review of any kits? I'm not looking to do anything super hardcore just getting off-road in Georgia mountains and looking for some protection. I had RCI skid plate kit on my 2019 Ranger it was pretty nice. Any advice would be awesome thanks.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have real world review of any kits? I'm not looking to do anything super hardcore just getting off-road in Georgia mountains and looking for some protection. I had RCI skid plate kit on my 2019 Ranger it was pretty nice. Any advice would be awesome thanks.
What are you looking to protect? @VICE design makes some stuff.

BrokeKen

Reaction score
Motor and front differential. I seen the vice stuff looks nice but doesn't offer any front of the motor protection.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Motor and front differential. I seen the vice stuff looks nice but doesn't offer any front of the motor protection.
If you buy their front bumper, they offer a front skid plate that works with the bumper and diff/steering skid plate.

MagnumPSI

Reaction score
I also have the full RCI kit and it’s performed very well, I gave it a few scrapes this past weekend but nothing crazy. They’ve held up great though I’ve only had mine for about 4 months now.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
can't go wrong with RCI.
if there are cases of people stealing cats from vehicles in your area, you can get the trans skid with the cat shield too.

1718250099574.png
1718250119025.png
1718250144917.png
You can see the cat shield. in the above images.
No problem with engine oil and coolant temp at all in the desert, so it shouldn't be a problem for you in GA (I assume GA doesn't get THAT hot)

Feel free to ask my anything.

VICE design

Trusted RAM Truck Adventure Gear
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you, glad you like it!

We have been working on one but its not quite ready for production. Here was the last prototype I built that we've been testing for a while on our 2021 Limited Ecodiesel. There are also small pieces the cover the rest of the intercooler for those engines.

20230921_104827.jpg

20230921_110018.jpg

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you, glad you like it!

We have been working on one but its not quite ready for production. Here was the last prototype I built that we've been testing for a while on our 2021 Limited Ecodiesel. There are also small pieces the cover the rest of the intercooler for those engines.

View attachment 184927

View attachment 184926
Definitely interested in this! As of yet i have not found a engine skid plate for limited models

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely interested in this! As of yet i have not found a engine skid plate for limited models
here. should work no?

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
here. should work no?
Does the motor portion attached to the bumper or valance or where does that attach?

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the motor portion attached to the bumper or valance or where does that attach?
i'm assuming the front piece that goes between the first cross member and the bumper is the piece you're talking about?
IT doesn't attach to anything on the bumper though it does end there.
it is attached to the frame horn via 2 brackets.

i don't have active valence so i don't know where that thing attaches. does it attach to the bumper or the frame horn?

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The mounts for the active air dam
Can you use the mopar skid plates with the rci kit?
i'm assuming the front piece that goes between the first cross member and the bumper is the piece you're talking about?
IT doesn't attach to anything on the bumper though it does end there.
it is attached to the frame horn via 2 brackets.

i don't have active valence so i don't know where that thing attaches. does it attach to the bumper or the frame horn?
I guess what I’m trying to ask is does the rci motor skid plate kit hinder you from running the other oem skid plates. I have the factory skid plates for transfer case and gas tank I believe but would like protection up front. (I don’t have active air dam) or what ever that’s called

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you use the mopar skid plates with the rci kit?

I guess what I’m trying to ask is does the rci motor skid plate kit hinder you from running the other oem skid plates. I have the factory skid plates for transfer case and gas tank I believe but would like protection up front. (I don’t have active air dam) or what ever that’s called
oh um you may need longer bolts for the most rear engine skid plate (also bolts to where the OE t-case skid is).
take a look at their install guide:
1718865857000.png
the bottom two bolts is what i'm talking about. iirc that's where the OE one mount to. it's been a long time since I last did it so my memory's a bit fuzzy lol
you can also email RCI at [email protected] to confirm.

it will not affect gas tank skid.

but to be honest, you will want to do it all lol OE skids are so flimsy.

Last edited:

Humer91

Reaction score
I have the Vice bumper and the front 2 skid plates they sell (front of motor and differential plate) behind that I have the RCI plates all the way back to the transfer case. They worked great on my last trip to Arkansas.

Users who are viewing this thread