5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket cellphone holders

21RamGuy

Reaction score
the proclip looks the best option itll be over 80 bucks total for the setup depending on phone. 39.99 for the base and 39.99 for the holder that fits the iphone 12 pro max , but it defiantly looks like it will last the duration of the truck

Reverse

Reaction score
I try to keep it simple/universal. In my current trucks I use the Bayou Goat Mount - it gives me a convenient platform to put my suction cup mount on, and the power is right next to it, very convenient: Bayou Goat Mount

1656251443514.png

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ProClip all the way. I've used these mounts on my last three vehicles.

Here's their site: Phone Mounts for Your Car Dashboard

You select the mount for the 1500 according to year and then find a cradle for your phone. Things to consider:

1. It's a strong, minimalist mount that holds the phone securely even on rough roads. The phone locks in and does not twist or slip since it's actually held in place by the side slots on the cradle. No reliance on magnets.
2. Charges the phone (with appropriate cradle) and connects to the UConnect well. (CarPlay for me)
3. I really like the placement on the dash. It could angle better towards the driver. My installation is a bit down on the left and faces a bit too much towards the back of the truck but you can read and manipulate the screen just fine. I'm 6'1" and my driving position is with the seat fully slid back. I can reach the phone very easily.
4. As you'll notice in the pictures I was able to embed the lightening cable into the dash so there is no dangling cable to get yanked.

Tim

View attachment 128999

View attachment 128998
Did you install a USB port beneath your rotary shifter? If so, details on how you did that?

21RamGuy

Reaction score
Did you install a USB port beneath your rotary shifter? If so, details on how you did that?
to me it looks like he just popped off the shifter or dash panels and put the cable out that way and probably has it plugged into the area where all the usb ports are under the radio. looks clean i must say

John Jensen

Reaction score
I have the early version of the Goat mount on my 2016 Ecodiesel and it is an excellent mounting base.

When I bought my 2020 3500 HO Goat had no mount for it, so I tried a variety and settled on the Bulletpoint. So many mounts will not work with the 2030's gear shifter.

I added ball mount adapters to the dual Bulletpoint arms and mounted wireless charging phone mounts. It's an excellent mounting system.

BullertPoint Dual Mount-1.jpg
Bulletpoint-2.jpg
Bulletpoint-3.jpg

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
to me it looks like he just popped off the shifter or dash panels and put the cable out that way and probably has it plugged into the area where all the usb ports are under the radio. looks clean i must say
Look right here; that looks like a USB port under the shifter to me.
1656256056071.png

djwdjw

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what is the need for a phone holder now that apple/android carplay/auto is nearly standard and becoming more wireless? Honest question... not trying to be jerk.
Yeah, I went wireless carplay a couple years ago and have been happy with the results. The phone stays in my pocket unless it needs a charge.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what is the need for a phone holder now that apple/android carplay/auto is nearly standard and becoming more wireless? Honest question... not trying to be jerk.
I thought the same thing for a while. I ended up getting a Course Motorsports MagSafe mount after I got a Garmin PowerSwitch to control my auxiliary lights. The PowerSwitch uses an iPhone (or Android) app to control lights, so it's nice to put the phone in a handy spot. Combined with a MagSafe case for my phone, I've found this impressively secure: even on deeply rutted forest service roads, my phone hasn't shaken off the mount.

Since then, I discovered it's also nice to have the phone there to display upcoming turns when using navigation on my phone. The Ram's screen shows the map and the next turn, while the phone shows a list of the next several turns. I wish Garmin would get their act together and make the PowerSwitch app CarPlay compatible, but even if they did, I think I'd continue using the Course mount; it makes my phone a convenient, extra screen.

I've also noticed I don't accidentally leave my phone in the truck as often now than before I got the mount. Out-of-sight, out-of-mind was previously the case. Lastly, while I still plug in my phone (since my 2021 does not have wireless CarPlay), I've found this more convenient than the built-in Ramcharger.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking about something for my phone, but not crazy about any of the options and when I think about it, I don't usually even take my phone out of my pocket with everything wireless.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I have both an iPhone XR for work, and a Motorola Razr (personal), and I've found that the missing CD player slot is perfect for the Razr to live with a charging cable plugged into one of the USB ports under the U-Connect 12 screen, and the iPhone just sits in the wireless charging cradle (with my music thumb drive taking up the other USB port under the screen). If both phones could connect up to the U-Connect at the same time (like my 2012's aftermarket JVC system), that would be optimal, but since that's a no-go, I'm happy with just the Razr connecting (nobody really calls me on the work phone, anyway).

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Well since I started this thread i figure I should give an update. I've researched everyone's suggestions mentioned here and they all seem to be decent mounts. However, I was a little concerned about placement of the phone and whether or not it would block a dash vent or the start button and it appears that most of the mounts will block something. Plus I was looking for something a little more discreet maybe and not so noticeable. I got to thinking and started searching around the shop for something I could use to make my own mount. I came up a piece of 1/8 x 3/4 flat stock at my local home depot. I did a few measurements and cut, bent and welded and came up with these 2 designs. I used flat black spray paint so it wasn't left bare. The one on top of the dash uses the two existing screws (had to get slightly longer screws) under the little pad to secure it to the dash and the second one for my girlfriend is simply double sided taped to the inner console. I'm using the Course Motorsports wireless charger for my mount and I'm ordering another one for the girlfriend. Minus the two wireless chargers I have approximately $40. into materials and a little elbow grease. The Course Motorsports wireless chargers are about $65 each. I know I could've just bought something similar and saved time but I wasnt 100% satisfied with the location and bulkiness of the other mounts. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out 20220626_203122.jpg 20220626_203131.jpg 20220626_203140.jpg 20220626_203236.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread