5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Bed Lights Installed.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Put a set of 60" LED strips in my dads truck bed on his 23' Bighorn. Pretty simple install. I cleaned the area on the bedliner with alcohol to clear any debris. The strips have double-sided backing to apply them. I was not 100% convinced they would stay long term with the bedliner material so we did opt to use the provided brackets with screws to also secure them to the bed. Probably would of been fine, but he will be traveling a lot so just added them for security. I ran each wire up and over the bed liner in the front corner on each prospective side and then dropped the wires down below the truck. I ran the passenger side wire (once I extended it with additional wire) in the channel of the body (not sure of the technical term of it) to the driver side to meet the other wire. I then joined the two wire sets together and extended my additional wiring from there. Under the truck, there is a small plastic plug under the driver-side rear seat area where the passenger's feet would be. I drilled a hole just big enough to pass the wiring through and up into the cab. From there, I pulled the driver-side rear door trim panel off along the floor to get to the wiring channel. Once you pop open that plastic channel to get access to the factory wiring harness, just carefully cut the black tape that holds the wires together and find the white with tan tracer, which is your cargo lamp circuit. I tied the positive wire to this circuit and then ran the ground wire to the factory ground stud behind the kick panel in the driver's floor panel area. Secured everything back up and the project was done. This allows the lights to be activated with the cargo lamp switch on the dash, or when you unlock the truck.

When researching this project and reading through posts on here and the facebook group, one guy said if you have halogen bulbs in the cargo lamps, you'd have to swap them out with LED or the cargo circuit would shut down with the additional LEDs. We did not encounter this problem and my dad still has the factory halogen bulbs. We left the lights on for at least 5 minutes and there were no issues.

Product used - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JUE9OLM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

before and after photos below. Not bad for a $20 project.

Attachments

• IMG-3421.jpg
    IMG-3421.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-3422.jpg
    IMG-3422.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 75

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Put a set of 60" LED strips in my dads truck bed on his 23' Bighorn. Pretty simple install. I cleaned the area on the bedliner with alcohol to clear any debris. The strips have double-sided backing to apply them. I was not 100% convinced they would stay long term with the bedliner material so we did opt to use the provided brackets with screws to also secure them to the bed. Probably would of been fine, but he will be traveling a lot so just added them for security. I ran each wire up and over the bed liner in the front corner on each prospective side and then dropped the wires down below the truck. I ran the passenger side wire (once I extended it with additional wire) in the channel of the body (not sure of the technical term of it) to the driver side to meet the other wire. I then joined the two wire sets together and extended my additional wiring from there. Under the truck, there is a small plastic plug under the driver-side rear seat area where the passenger's feet would be. I drilled a hole just big enough to pass the wiring through and up into the cab. From there, I pulled the driver-side rear door trim panel off along the floor to get to the wiring channel. Once you pop open that plastic channel to get access to the factory wiring harness, just carefully cut the black tape that holds the wires together and find the white with tan tracer, which is your cargo lamp circuit. I tied the positive wire to this circuit and then ran the ground wire to the factory ground stud behind the kick panel in the driver's floor panel area. Secured everything back up and the project was done. This allows the lights to be activated with the cargo lamp switch on the dash, or when you unlock the truck.

When researching this project and reading through posts on here and the facebook group, one guy said if you have halogen bulbs in the cargo lamps, you'd have to swap them out with LED or the cargo circuit would shut down with the additional LEDs. We did not encounter this problem and my dad still has the factory halogen bulbs. We left the lights on for at least 5 minutes and there were no issues.

Product used - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JUE9OLM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

before and after photos below. Not bad for a $20 project.
Good job looks like a clean install!

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Appreciate it - it did come out pretty well. All connections are soldered and heat shrank. Can't see any wiring in in the bed except for where the wire comes off each light strip but even then you have to crawl up in there and really look for the wire lol.
Kudos to you that’s a great improvement for the bed of the truck

Users who are viewing this thread