5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Bed Light Options?

llando88

Reaction score
Looking for options / inputs on adding aftermarket battery powered bed lights, using the OEM opening?

Pictured below is the best I currently have. It's an inexpensive HF battery-powered LED light that I have screwed to the OEM trim covers. These trim covers go over/into the openings in my truck, since I don't have the factory bed light option.

The only issue I have with this solution is that the weight of the lights tends to pull them out of the openings. I could use some Gorilla tape to hold them in place, but don't like the tape look.

I'm wondering if anyone is aware of any aftermarket lights which fit into these openings? I'm hoping perhaps these openings are industry standard-type shapes in the truck industry, and I just don't know where to look for a light that would snap into them, if it's even available. My truck is a 2021 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x2.

Thoughts?
IMG_0760.jpg

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why not just look for the OE lights? I love mine, and would be happy even if they only worked with the switch on the light.

llando88

Reaction score
Thanks, I could, for sure, install the OE lights. I would prefer not to; an OE solution involved tapping into 12V (I am ok with that, just don't want to at this point if there is a simpler aftermarket solution) and/or figuring out how to turn them on via incorporating the OE switch (not sure if I even have that) or software mod for the 8.4" display (FOR SURE I don't want to do that lol).

So basically looking for a simple, snap in, battery powered solution right now. But thanks, appreciate the suggestion.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Following. I'd like to have a switch wired in completely bypassing the BCU for the OEM cargo light so I can use the light to see the cargo in the dark, or something, I guess?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, I could, for sure, install the OE lights. I would prefer not to; an OE solution involved tapping into 12V (I am ok with that, just don't want to at this point if there is a simpler aftermarket solution) and/or figuring out how to turn them on via incorporating the OE switch (not sure if I even have that) or software mod for the 8.4" display (FOR SURE I don't want to do that lol).

So basically looking for a simple, snap in, battery powered solution right now. But thanks, appreciate the suggestion.
Understood on the power, but there is a physical switch built into the driver's side light. It feels like a mechanical on/off, but considering how it operates, could just be a momentary switch.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You can wire this directly to the truck at the trailer harness, or you can get one of the curt harnesses and splice into it, then plug it in between the truck and the trailer harness. I can't remember what the number for the curt harness is, but it adds an additional 5 pin harness to your 7 pin harness. I wired directly to the truck.

llando88

Reaction score
Understood on the power, but there is a physical switch built into the driver's side light. It feels like a mechanical on/off, but considering how it operates, could just be a momentary switch.
Good call: I just looked at my truck and indeed I do appear to have the cargo light switch built into the driver's side light control, as described in the owners manual on page 49, item 5. I will definitely look into how I might use this switch, if it turns out there is factory pre-wire to this location in the cargo area I can use. That would be awesome. Thanks!

capture.jpg

llando88

Reaction score
Found further description of what I am fishing for, OE wise, here in the manual. I am now on the hunt for the part / part no. of the thing that the arrow is pointing to. I'll look into this for sure.

Capture2.jpg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One note that I've heard from others about the OEM lights is they don't provide much light toward the cab side of the bed. Especially if you have a cover on your bed. The lights I linked run down each side, and the pictures show pretty much what you get. It lights up the whole bed easily.

llando88

Reaction score
More excellent news!

Turns out I do have the "Cargo Lights" that are mounted at the top rear of the cab (do not have the optional bed lights). These switch on and off at the lower half switch of the driver's side light control.

Which is great, because now if I'm hitching up to the camper, I can have additional light if I need to at night or whatever to aid visibility.

llando88

Reaction score
One note that I've heard from others about the OEM lights is they don't provide much light toward the cab side of the bed. Especially if you have a cover on your bed. The lights I linked run down each side, and the pictures show pretty much what you get. It lights up the whole bed easily.

Thanks, yes I can see that. Probably I'd need sunglasses with those. :)

I routinely keep my two generators and propane supply back there, so a bed light would be a handy thing. I do have an aftermarket tri-fold and spray in bedliner (black as well) so it is very hard to see inside the bed from the tailgate.

llando88

Reaction score
Found further description of what I am fishing for, OE wise, here in the manual. I am now on the hunt for the part / part no. of the thing that the arrow is pointing to.
I think this is what I am looking for:

82215795ab-amp.jpg

Edit to add: I downloaded and skimmed the install procedure from Ram:

It includes mounting (simple), routing a cable / cables from the rear to the engine bay (hmm) splicing (ok with that, I'm a retired EE :) ) and (uh oh) coding using factory tools. So bottom line while cool and definitely OEM, I'm back to a simpler, battery-powered, locally power sourced option if I can find it.

Last edited:

llando88

Reaction score
So it occurred to me the only problem I have with my current solution is that they keep falling out. In a forehead slapping moment, I realized what I needed was four of these items marked D.

As in...a...toggle...bolt. D'oh!!! Off to Lowe's to source some hardware. :)

capture.jpg

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just for clarification, there are two switches. One on the dash and one built into the driver's side bed light (the arrow pictured in post #8). Both control the bed and cargo lights. I also have the tailgate handle light, but not sure if it comes on with these or not.

The OE lights do a great job even with a tonneau, unless of course you have a stuff back there covering them up.

llando88

Reaction score
Thanks all. I think I'm good for now. I ended up using a pair of simple plastic toggle bolts, and drilling a couple 9/64 holes in the two ends of the OEM trim piece, and screwing them in. We'll see how this goes this summer; I have a long trip coming up and if they fall out, I'll try something else.

IMG_0767.jpg

Lighting is good:

IMG_0768.jpg

Tdmva21

Reaction score
Ordered a truck and waiting so forgive me on a potentially dumb question....
1) can you operate the tailgate lights by the tailgate independent of the cargo light in the brake light up top?

2) can you change the lights in by the tailgate to red? I like that for mornings/night which is when I'd use that most

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't found a way to control the bed lights separate of the cab cargo lights. I did notice my tailgate handle light comes on with the bed lights though.

I'm sure there are ways to change to red, but doubt it's as easy as swapping a bulb.

DBaron

Reaction score

You can wire this directly to the truck at the trailer harness, or you can get one of the curt harnesses and splice into it, then plug it in between the truck and the trailer harness. I can't remember what the number for the curt harness is, but it adds an additional 5 pin harness to your 7 pin harness. I wired directly to the truck.
Is there somewhere that has instructions on installing these?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there somewhere that has instructions on installing these?
It's pretty straightforward. Red wire to hot wire, yellow wire to ground, good to go. I wired mine to the trailer 12V always hot wire and then picked a bolt on the frame somewhere I think. My switch is stuck to the wall of the bed behind the driver tail light so I wouldn't accidentally bump it. Wires run through a hole that's right there down behind the tail light, then under the truck. Here's a video of a guy installing them, but I haven't watched it. Just googled "Nilight bed strip kit install".

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone simply rewired the cargo light to a simple hot switch? I’d like to see if anything has shifted on rough roads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/