5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Amps Engine Wine

staffdd

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with aftermarket amps and engine wine? Currently I am using the stock deck with the fosgate DRS1 under my drivers seat feeding 3 amps on the back wall. I have the RCA cables going down the middle of the cab, and power cable going down driver side. I am having trouble isolating why I am getting so much engine feedback through the speakers. There is a slight wine when the truck shifts (hardly noticable), but when I touch the breaks or when the engine turns on from the auto gas conservation feature; it is rather loud.

Couple of things to note. I had a hard time finding a ground for the amps. Using the rear seat bolts didn't even complete the circuit. I have the ground currently screwed into the back floor deck. This may not be optimal; any suggestions? Another thing is I have the extra etorque battery on the driver side back wall. I am thinking this is the main issue. My power cable has to pass by the area to get to the amps.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with aftermarket amps and engine wine? Currently I am using the stock deck with the fosgate DRS1 under my drivers seat feeding 3 amps on the back wall. I have the RCA cables going down the middle of the cab, and power cable going down driver side. I am having trouble isolating why I am getting so much engine feedback through the speakers. There is a slight wine when the truck shifts (hardly noticable), but when I touch the breaks or when the engine turns on from the auto gas conservation feature; it is rather loud.

Couple of things to note. I had a hard time finding a ground for the amps. Using the rear seat bolts didn't even complete the circuit. I have the ground currently screwed into the back floor deck. This may not be optimal; any suggestions? Another thing is I have the extra etorque battery on the driver side back wall. I am thinking this is the main issue. My power cable has to pass by the area to get to the amps.

Have you tried grounding it directly to the frame or tried shield the cable that passes close to the extra battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichInMN

Reaction score
First thing I would do is determine whether your RCAs are carrying the noise or if it is the amp power supply - you can do this if you have an MP3 player (or phone) headphone to RCA adapter. If there is no noise using a clean audio source, then you have a ground loop to address.

Perhaps consider running a ground back from your battery in the same gauge as the power - the grounding in these trucks is spotty, as you've found out (and we've seen a recall for spotty ground even in the engine bay). Also, I recommend running a nice ground to your DSR and the head unit as well, maybe a 10 gauge - from your amp distribution block.

Another thing to consider is relocating your DSR to be back by your amps, thereby shortening your RCA runs. You could test that theory with some temp wiring before tucking everything under and behind trim and carpet.

Ground loop alt whine is the worst, good luck!

Last edited:

staffdd

Reaction score
Have you tried grounding it directly to the frame or tried shield the cable that passes close to the extra battery.

Been doing audio for a long time, but have never heard of shielding the cable... Please explain, i'm genuinly interested. Guess I don't run into this much. I'm personally thinking its where i'm grounding. Easy to run a test cable out the window.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Been doing audio for a long time, but have never heard of shielding the cable... Please explain, i'm genuinly interested. Guess I don't run into this much. I'm personally thinking its where i'm grounding. Easy to run a test cable out the window.
I've run into where the cable runs by any other power source it can pickup feedback. I've always used the silver sound proofing or matting that sticks on to more or less shield my cable from any outside source. I have good luck with doing it also.

Wbrudi28

Reaction score

Did you run your amp power cable (not ground) next to the RCA cable? This is what causes the whine. It's electrical interference. In car audio, the amo power and amp RCA should be ran up separate sides of the vehicle. Never had interference doing it this way.

staffdd

Reaction score
Did you run your amp power cable (not ground) next to the RCA cable? This is what causes the whine. It's electrical interference. In car audio, the amo power and amp RCA should be ran up separate sides of the vehicle. Never had interference doing it this way.

No, at the closest they are about 18 inches from each other at any point.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
i have the dsr1 with absolutly no noise. im suspecting it ur amp. unplug the rca cables and see if it goes away. i have my rca cables near my power cable with no noise at all.

Expat

Reaction score
Nevada...........but working in West Africa
I installed an aftermarket amp in on of my rigs and had the same problem so I asked a friend that does it for a living. He took about 3 strands of wire that he unwound form a piece of wire and wrapped it around both RCA plugs at the amp, around the metal,.....the problem went away immediately. I have not researched the science behind this, but can tell you it worked.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I installed an aftermarket amp in on of my rigs and had the same problem so I asked a friend that does it for a living. He took about 3 strands of wire that he unwound form a piece of wire and wrapped it around both RCA plugs at the amp, around the metal,.....the problem went away immediately. I have not researched the science behind this, but can tell you it worked.

This is a great solution in a pinch, although its putting a band-aid on something that needs stitches.

There is a ground loop somewhere. Today's RCAs don't really induce noise. Have pictures of the ground? And how is the Rockford grounded? I would try measuring the resistance between those two ground points.

BigOlMega

Reaction score
If the Amp ground is not good enough, most amplifiers will try to ground through the RCA shields which will create the loop. Make sure that multiple amps use the SAME ground, as short as possible, and it has to be bare metal. Use a wire brush on a drill to remove the paint.

Users who are viewing this thread