5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket air filter? What's in the box?

bluecrewnuke

Reaction score
I just took a peek in the air filter box for S&Gs. Has anyone seen an improvement in performance or fuel mileage by installing a synthetic media filter? I've used several Airaid filters over the years on my fleet. Also, what is the element permanently installed in the upper half of the air filter box? It looks like a charcoal filter, but I cannot imagine what purpose that would serve.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's required for emissions in certain states, I popped mine off with a flat head screwdriver and added a dry AEM 28-20247 just yesterday @ ~13k miles. OE filter still looked very good, so I kept it to use when I need to clean the AEM I can pop it in while the AEM dries for a day or two.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just took a peek in the air filter box for S&Gs. Has anyone seen an improvement in performance or fuel mileage by installing a synthetic media filter? I've used several Airaid filters over the years on my fleet. Also, what is the element permanently installed in the upper half of the air filter box? It looks like a charcoal filter, but I cannot imagine what purpose that would serve.
As Dookie said, for emissions certification.

It's an activated charcoal webbing that prevents fuel vapors from the intake manifold escaping into the atmosphere through the air filter box. Most manufacturers are using this.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 037328 miles.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I removed my charcoal filter this weekend using a paint can opener- fit under the rivets perfectly and popped it out in seconds without breaking it (just in case I ever needed to reinstall it for some reason).

Users who are viewing this thread