5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket 3rd brake light?

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
I have been looking online for a aftermarket 3rd brake light (the entire housing, not led/halogen bulb replacement, i already replaced the bulbs for LEDs and i slapped a Overlay tint on it to black it out to look better and match the truck but i just dont like it) however the only two i can find that are "quality" are the Morimoto and the Recon. Does anyone have any experience with these two? How are they? I also saw Retroshop had one but it has a camera slot in whitch i do not have and not trying to instal so thats a no. If not those two does anyone else run any other good 3rd brake lights? Im willing to spend the money for a good one so dont want nothing cheap unless yall can vouch for one. Thank you.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
@Waterfowler41 has a great video on installing this. It’s sharp looking but a little overkill for me.

View attachment 176874
Although i great apperciate the help and answer, i DO agree thats way over kill for me. i like the sleek smooth tint black look like yourself. (thats why i put the overlay tint on the ugly OEM one.) most people think its after market and cant telll but i damn sure do and it bugs me lol

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the tint shop do my CHMSL as well. I’m happy with mine because it blends in with my black truck. The red reflectors annoyed me lol. I don’t have a picture but Smokin Moe’s did a great job. They tinted my turn signals too.

On a side note, I always liked the rear upper running lights the Raptors have.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
I had the tint shop do my CHMSL as well. I’m happy with mine because it blends in with my black truck. The red reflectors annoyed me lol. I don’t have a picture but Smokin Moe’s did a great job. They tinted my turn signals too.

On a side note, I always liked the rear upper running lights the Raptors have.
CHMSL?

If you dont mind could you snap a shot for me and send it? if your saying it looks good professionally tinted ill do that and take your word for it.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
CHMSL?

If you dont mind could you snap a shot for me and send it? if your saying it looks good professionally tinted ill do that and take your word for it.
Center High Mount Stop Light

I’ll snap a few pics for you in the morning.

Rebob0510

Reaction score
CHMSL?

Center High Mounted Stop Light.. I had to search it and see what it meant lol

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
CHMSL?

Unless you totally botched the install, it won't look au different if a "professional" installed it or you did

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Center High Mount Stop Light

I’ll snap a few pics for you in the morning.
AH never knew that, i always called it 3rd brake light lol

but cool thank you man id greatly appreciate it. Would probably save me some money to!

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Unless you totally botched the install, it won't look au different if a "professional" installed it or you did
hmmmm. although i havnt seen it for the 3rd brake light.... id have to disagree already b.c ive seen overlays on headlights and taillights comparded to tint and its a complete difference between the two. id imagine itd be the same for the 3rd. just curious b.c the reflators are red.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hmmmm. although i havnt seen it for the 3rd brake light.... id have to disagree already b.c ive seen overlays on headlights and taillights comparded to tint and its a complete difference between the two. id imagine itd be the same for the 3rd. just curious b.c the reflators are red.
I like the fact that I could hand pick the tint film darkness and material to my liking. It was easier than taking a gamble on a film kit online and not sure of the results until after install. I’ll be sure to get you a few different angle pics as well.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
I like the fact that I could hand pick the tint film darkness and material to my liking. It was easier than taking a gamble on a film kit online and not sure of the results until after install. I’ll be sure to get you a few different angle pics as well.
very true as well. thank you man! again i appreciate it!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most tint film is designed to be used on the inside of the vehicle. The overlay I used was meant for use on exterior to withstand UV and car washes. I'm sure if you bought a cheap no name overlay kit, it may look bad, especially if not installed properly.

1923bob

Reaction score
I have been looking online for a aftermarket 3rd brake light (the entire housing, not led/halogen bulb replacement, i already replaced the bulbs for LEDs and i slapped a Overlay tint on it to black it out to look better and match the truck but i just dont like it) however the only two i can find that are "quality" are the Morimoto and the Recon. Does anyone have any experience with these two? How are they? I also saw Retroshop had one but it has a camera slot in whitch i do not have and not trying to instal so thats a no. If not those two does anyone else run any other good 3rd brake lights? Im willing to spend the money for a good one so dont want nothing cheap unless yall can vouch for one. Thank you.
I have been looking also the only one that I found is Recon with the four screw holes I checked with Morimoto they said they don't have one for the 5th gen Ram's yet. Good luck I think I will go with the Recon. Keep me posted

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Slutzk Here’s a few shots of the CHMSL and turn signals. I went dark smoke to blend with my truck. As you can see, the cargo lights still shine through. The brake light also shines through without issue(as do the amber turn signals), I just didn’t have anyone at work apply the brake while I snapped a few pics. lol. Hope this helps.

IMG_0502.jpeg IMG_0503.jpeg IMG_0504.jpeg IMG_0499.jpeg IMG_0500.jpeg

1923bob

Reaction score
That looks good. Like I said the Recon is the only one I have found with the four holes for the gen 5 from what I have seen it looks good and good quality just a little pricey but it's LED and with the Tazer you can make it pulsate.

Attachments

• IMG_0182.PNG
    IMG_0182.PNG
    969.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0183.PNG
    IMG_0183.PNG
    970.4 KB · Views: 23

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That looks good. Like I said the Recon is the only one I have found with the four holes for the gen 5 from what I have seen it looks good and good quality just a little pricey but it's LED and with the Tazer you can make it pulsate.
You can make the halogen bulb pulse with the Taser as well. I have mine set up for 6 slow flashes and it works great

1923bob

Reaction score
Cool good to know. I have a Limited but I have herd all the lights are LED but not the 3rd brake light ? they don't look like LED

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
I have been looking also the only one that I found is Recon with the four screw holes I checked with Morimoto they said they don't have one for the 5th gen Ram's yet. Good luck I think I will go with the Recon. Keep me posted
let me know when you get it please? Id like to see it

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
@Slutzk Here’s a few shots of the CHMSL and turn signals. I went dark smoke to blend with my truck. As you can see, the cargo lights still shine through. The brake light also shines through without issue(as do the amber turn signals), I just didn’t have anyone at work apply the brake while I snapped a few pics. lol. Hope this helps.

View attachment 176902 View attachment 176903 View attachment 176904 View attachment 176905 View attachment 176906
wow yeah that actually looks bad ***, ill probably just end of doing that b.c looks like same tint as my overlay now except just looks cleaner. thanks man i appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online