5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After market skid plates for 5th Gen RAMS?

Wetinoregon

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation on a good proven 3rd party that sells skid plates for the RAM 5th gen? I have a 2019 Laramie I would like to add the skid plates to along with the front tow hooks

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
Dethloff makes one that combines with the Mopar set. Gets good coverage front to rear with the exception of the gap right behind the front bumper.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mjgain

Reaction score

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Dethloff, and it complements the factory skids nicely. It is heavy; without a lift, I had an interesting time installing it by myself. So far, no complaints.

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on the dethloff (at about four weeks now since order) but also found this for the front gap : https://www.murchisonproducts.com.au/shop/murchison-ram-1500-engine-sump-skid-plate

I've had good success with Australian parts since my land Rover days, but not sure if I'll pull the trigger or not. With exchange rate, it would be about $320 before shipping charges.
If you do get that, let me know how that goes. I saw that their 3 piece set only weighs 14.5kg, which has to either be wrong or is really thin metal. No weight spec on the front one alone.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on the dethloff (at about four weeks now since order) but also found this for the front gap : https://www.murchisonproducts.com.au/shop/murchison-ram-1500-engine-sump-skid-plate

I've had good success with Australian parts since my land Rover days, but not sure if I'll pull the trigger or not. With exchange rate, it would be about $320 before shipping charges.
I saw this as well, but wasnt sure it was correct for a stock bumper with air dams removed.
Site is lacking information.
I am ready to make my own from a 48x36 sheet of ABS plastic

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
I saw this as well, but wasnt sure it was correct for a stock bumper with air dams removed.
Site is lacking information.
I am ready to make my own from a 48x36 sheet of ABS plastic
Did you ever build one or even pick up the one from Australia

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
Did you ever build one or even pick up the one from Australia
No, I just saw them the other day.
It doesnt look right for attaching to a stock bumper.
Too expensive anyhow. You can have a local fabrication shop make you one for under $200 most likely.
Again, I think I am going to make one from a plastic sheet, like splash guard material just to keep water/debris out. A sheet is $40.
Unless there is a good frame mounting point theres no reason to make it a real skid plate.

Another member here had one made, and gabe this rough drawing. Its easy enough to make a template on cardboard. Thats my next step once it warms up, but its basically going to be like this.
Screenshot_20211226-165019_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread