5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After-Market MFT Brackets - For Tonneau Covers

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Peter at Right-On Brackets has developed these and they are now available for order. One member here has said they work, I have order a pair and will confirm.

scope1

Reaction score
I actually sent Peter my brackets to help develop pre drilled sets. The original brackets are easy to remove and if Peter templates them correctly it should be an easy swap out. I have a limited 2020 Ram with 5’7bed and no ram box with MFT. I plan on installing my Retrax pro MX and the pre drilled brackets in about a week.

gtrfred1

Reaction score
Is there also an issue with the tail gate seal on the covers with the MFT? I would really like to add a tonneau cover

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Is there also an issue with the tail gate seal on the covers with the MFT? I would really like to add a tonneau cover

I don’t think there would be... your just need to lift the top up before closing in either way

Havana Joe

Reaction score
I would think that these do not provide the intended cross bracing because of the change in geometry of the bracket...

Mandtz

Reaction score
I'm guessing I'm the first one who bought brackets from Pete. I posted them here a few weeks ago. Although they may not be quite as rigid torsionally as the factory brackets, they're pretty heavy duty (3/8"thick and slightly wider ), more so than the 5/16" bolts and sheet metal they screw into and I think are more than adequate.
Also, the factory brackets have 1/2" holes drilled in them for 5/16" bolts because the tolerances are so poor, so the edges of the bolt head have only slight overlap. I drilled 3/8"
IMG_5206.jpg IMG_5248.jpg .
holes measured directly off the truck bed to ensure accuracy and they have worked out perfectly.
There is a bolt head hidden underneath them so you have to drill an extra hole for clearance (either part way or all the way through) so the brackets seat flush. I put on a Retrax pro MX which fit perfectly and , even with the split tailgate doesn't leak a drop in the rain and I park it outside in Seattle. You can see the large hole in the back of the factory bracket to clear the bolt head, but I only drilled it through part way to avoid unnecessary sacrificing of structural integrity.

+

Mandtz

Reaction score
Also, with the retrax, I can open and close the tailgate in either mode without unlocking or retracting the cover.

Last edited:

scope1

Reaction score
Ditto Mandtz. I installed my retrax Pro XR on my 2020 Ram 1500 5'7 bed without ram boxes and with MFT. Peter from rightonbrackets made me a pair which fit like a glove. The fit and finish of the brackets are beautiful. They appear much stronger than the brackets that came with the truck. There was plenty of room to drop the cannister in place and this made the install easy. Took about an hour with my wife.

Attachments

• 20191227_152228.jpg
    20191227_152228.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 20191228_091244.jpg
    20191228_091244.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 20191228_090814.jpg
    20191228_090814.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 104

pricery

Reaction score
Does anyone know if replacing these brackets with the ones from Righton Brackets will void any warranty with RAM?

Users who are viewing this thread