5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After market bed lights

zachowsley1

Reaction score
Has anyone added a switch to their aftermarket bed lights so they can turn them on in the bed. I have recently installed LED strips and tapped into the cargo light however would like to also have the ability to turn the lights on from the bed via a switch. Was wondering how this is possible but also keeping the OEM switch for the cargo light functioning as well?

parnine

Reaction score
many have, seek and ye shall find (search option works well, many threads on the issue)

zachowsley1

Reaction score
To get around this I simply just installed the OEM bed lights.
When you installed the OEM bed lights did you have to have it flashed by the dealer? Was trying to avoid having to do that

zachowsley1

Reaction score
I activated them with alfaOBD.
New to the RAM so don’t have alfaOBD. Thought I saw a forum of a guy who had wired a switch in his bed as well as having the cargo lights work with the OEM cargo light switch as well as when the doors open or you unlock the truck but now I can’t find it.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New to the RAM so don’t have alfaOBD. Thought I saw a forum of a guy who had wired a switch in his bed as well as having the cargo lights work with the OEM cargo light switch as well as when the doors open or you unlock the truck but now I can’t find it.
It's an app, fairly cheap (especially compared to a dealer flash).

I will say the actual OEM light install is a huge pain in the *** (routing wires all the way from the rear of the truck to the driver footwell...and then wiring into the proper connectors in the footwell), but the end product is cleaner than any aftermarket kit.

badpewterz

Reaction score
simple switch that came with my lights. no cargo tie in. just turn on or off as needed. right by tailgate . easy simple works

Attachments

• 20200903_194957.jpg
    20200903_194957.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 50

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
simple switch that came with my lights. no cargo tie in. just turn on or off as needed. right by tailgate . easy simple works
I have the same kit and put the switch in the same place. Super clean, switch is out of the way, a lot more light than the OEM lights. Had lights tied into the cargo light on my old truck, but I got tired of them turning on every time I unlocked the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/