5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afraid to buy another FCA vehicle

BeeLDub

Reaction score
Hey all!

Factory ordered my first new vehicle back in 2015, it was a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock, and it was a lemon within the first 10k miles.... Didn't get FCA to buy it back, but did get them to extend my warranty to 7yr 125k miles (still using it multiple times a year) as well as pay me a few grand for the struggles. Well, that warranty has less than 3yrs, 40k miles left, and I'm starting to look at what I am buying next.

My girlfriend and I have a bus converted to an RV, and a Polaris RZR. We're starting to outgrow the bus (more and more stuff with less and less space) and although I have yet to try, I'm hesitant to tow the RZR with it long-term. So, with the desire to camp and off-road at the same time, we're planning to sell the bus and buy a 5th-wheel toy hauler, so I'll need a truck.

I've always been back and fourth between Fords and Rams. My parents only owned Fords growing up, and had no issues at all, and after my Jeep experience, I'm hesitant to buy FCA again. Building each and comparing (F-350 Lariat vs 3500 Laramie) there are things about the Ford I prefer, and there are things about the Ram I prefer, but it seems the Ram comes up with much more bang-for-buck.

I know this site will be biased towards Ram, but if you guys/girls are anything like the people on the Jeep forums, you'll also be some of the biggest critics - do Rams suffer from the same lack of quality Jeeps do?

I'm currently pricing out:
  • 2020 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 6'4" Box
  • 6.7l Cummins
  • 4.10 axle
  • Rear air suspension
  • 440amp dual alternators
  • Level 1 Equipment
  • Cold Weather
  • Snow Chief
  • 5th wheel prep
  • LED Bed light
  • Stop lamp w/ cargo cam
  • Sun roof
  • Aux switches
Any stupid options above? Anything I am missing? I know with Jeep, there are certain options better to go aftermarket, and there are some that are best to get straight from the manuf. After the lemon of a Jeep, I think I want as much to be covered by the warranty as possible.

Also, for Jeeps, 8% below invoice is a common/best deal people are getting. For Rams, it looks like 25% below MSRP is common? Anyone within a few hours of Eastern PA know a good place to start?

Thanks in advance for any/all help!

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ll let the members with the towing experience weigh in on your important questions. There are plenty here who do exactly what you are looking to do and are very happy.

I think both Ram and Ford make great trucks and you will probably be happy with either. It will probably come down to a few features that one might currently have that the other doesn’t. Ram seems to have surpassed Ford at the moment with their interiors and electronics for instance. Price will probably also be a determining factor since one might be having more aggressive deals when you’re looking to buy. Each will have its share of lemons and potential issues. That is not unique to any brand no matter what some might say. You have to take a leap of faith and cross your fingers.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Your proposed list probably includes the extra large fuel tank and tow group (maybe goes without saying). Nothing wrong with either brand truck except Fords are usually pricier, although some will say they hold their value better. Try doing a KBB or NADA comparison for a 2016 with average miles if resale matters to you.

Diesel vs diesel is a can of worms with each brand's fan boys trumpeting their superiority. Both are good motors, nothing wrong with the Duramax and Allison combo either.

I havent checked for HD truck prices and opinions, try posting this on the HD forum instead. I kinda doubt there's a 25% off MSRP on average though.

Toothninja

Reaction score
I traded in my 2015 ram 2500 recently. I towed a 40’ 16,000lb fifth wheel. It pulled like a dream. When I went for the delivery of my fifth wheel, the RV guys were in awe of the features and the truck itself. They said it was way more than capable to do the job...keep in mind these were not the sales guys, but the guys who actually know trucks. The new rams are even better than the 4th generation! I wouldn’t hesitate to go with ram again should I need to haul something that heavy again.
I like your list, and off the top of my head, I wouldn’t change anything.

ps...I hate when salesmen try the old “well, Ram’s trade in value is one of the lowest in the industry(had that one recently from a ford salesman!)”. I’m like the Ram is one of more inexpensive trucks out there, so that would make sense...not to mention, I’m not buying a vehicle for future resell value, I’m buying it for use now!! And the ram is the nicest truck out there right now!!

BeeLDub

Reaction score
I found the separate HD forum after posting this, so I've posted there as well. But thanks for the input so far!!

I'v also seen the posts about resale value. In that past, that didn't matter to me, but after my Jeep issues, it's something I'm sadly taking into some consideration. But that argument went out the window pretty quickly when I saw the deals many were getting. Fords may have higher resale, but they also appear to have higher new prices, so it's a wash to me. And I'd rather the lower out-of-pocket from the start anyway. Hopefully I can keep the Ram so long that resale doesn't matter to me!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I just checked my local HD dealer (and where I bought my 19' 1500). They are a larger truck dealer in this area.
All I see is $7-8K off of $70-80K 3500 single wheel 4x4 diesels. Nowhere on this site is there more than this appx 10% off. Wherever you are seeing/hearing about 25%, please let us know.
Now I haven't checked some of the other major dealers like Laura RAM or Koonz, but this is what's close to me.

Here's a representative offer:
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Truck Crew Cab
Engine: 6.7L I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: Automatic Exterior Color: Diamond Black Crystal Pearl-Coat Paint Interior Color: Black Leather Stock #:191797 Drive Line: 4WD

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Well to quote Gomer Pyle, "surprise, surprise"... Ford is more expensive. This is a comparable diesel 4x4 and trim.

2019 Ford F-350SD Lariat Crew Cab Pickup
View Vehicle Details

Stock Number: T21065
VIN:1FT8W3BT0KEF27021
Model Code: W3B
Engine: POWER STROKE 6.7L V8...
Drive: 4WD
Trans:6-SPEED AUTOMATIC
Color :BLACK
Interior: MEDIUM LIGHT CAMEL

$78,780 MSRP
$8,201 Savings

$70,579 Internet Price

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I have not checked actual payload figures (each truck's yellow sticker differs), their net p or torque however both of the above trucks are srw 1 tons, and I doubt there's any real significant payload or towing amount differences. Could always be though.

Lariats are the lowest trim that Ford offers with leather standard, and Laramie is the equivalent with RAM. If you want to look at spendier trims, then look at the Ford KR or Limited vs the Longhorn or Limited RAM. Just be ready for over 80G's MSRP's. o_O There should not be regional differences in these two dealers prices as they are about 100 miles apart within the same state (NC). Obviously incentives, rebates and hold-backs will vary by brand and timeframe.

If your fiver is going to be on the heavy side, you may want to look at a 450/4500 as the diesel robs payload and a multi-slide 34-38' fiver will have a lot of pin weight. I see more and more 450's/4500's being used for heavy fivers now, and it's appropriate. If you ever see the four (and even five) slide triple-axle fiver's on the road, that's 450/4500 territory, IMHO.
Pin weights are higher than travel trailer tongue weights, pin's are often 20% of the wet trailer weight.
Now the payloads of even srw 1 tons can exceed 4000#, so what's the next weak link, usually tires and rims.

When hauling a heavy pin weight fiver you need to look at the rear axle GVWR as most 2019+ 350/450's are ok on gross combined weight ratings. Just a caution if you stay with a 350/3500 SRW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread