5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afraid of rust with new muffler?

QuasarZ

Reaction score
Thinking of putting in new muffler. But worried the welds and any additional piping needed will rust out earlier. Hate to cut off brand new muffler and subject new truck to rust just for some sound but stock is so quiet. Is there a paint or anything I could apply to help last longer? I’m in the Midwest with nasty salt in winter.

LaRamie

Reaction score
Go with magnaflow's bolt on "direct replacement". Bolts on front factory flange, but you do have to cut behind stock muffler. New muffler will slip over tailpipe side and clamp. Probably best possible scenario for replacing with limited rust. There are sprays out there for welds/rust prevention, never had much luck with it though. Know anyone that can TIG stainless would be other option

GATORB8

Reaction score
May want to consider a stainless bolt on cat back. My last MBRP lasted almost 10 years in Chicago winters with no signs of quiting when I sold it.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
If its a decent exhaust shop they'll use stainless wire when welding the tubes together, but if they don't use stainless I'd steer clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online