5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFE SHORTY headers

JTD

Reaction score
Looking for experiences and advice. Thanks

397STROKER

Reaction score
I have them. No complaints. Not sure if they help anything other than I won't have the manifold crack issue. they are a pain to install. Had to cut a slot where one of the bolts goes so I could have the bolt already in the head as there was no way to put it in past the pipe, but this did aid in holding the back side of the header while I got a bolt started in the front. Some of the bolts are hard to get to. They come with felpro gaskets that look the same as what came off the truck and the bolts are fine to use, just lock tight them. I got a good deal on mine is why I got them.

Reactions: JTD

JTD

Reaction score
I have them. No complaints. Not sure if they help anything other than I won't have the manifold crack issue. they are a pain to install. Had to cut a slot where one of the bolts goes so I could have the bolt already in the head as there was no way to put it in past the pipe, but this did aid in holding the back side of the header while I got a bolt started in the front. Some of the bolts are hard to get to. They come with felpro gaskets that look the same as what came off the truck and the bolts are fine to use, just lock tight them. I got a good deal on mine is why I got them.
Thank you! I’m looking to be proactive with the manifold cracking

JOzzz

Reaction score

Do you by chance remember which one you had to slot? I’m putting them on today. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

397STROKER

Reaction score
I believe it was the bottom bolt 2nd from the back. It is easy to figure out. the hole is located directly behind the pipe and I don't think you can get a bolt in the hole even when the header is off.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the OE midpipe bolt directly onto these headers, or do these headers require further aftermarket parts downstream?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Were you able to reuse the heat shielding?

397STROKER

Reaction score
No, the heat shield does not fit over the headers.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I was just looking at the BBK headers and they specifically say that the warranty is voided if any type of wrap is applied.
IMPORTANT WARRANTY INFORMATION:
Installing ANY type of header wrap will VOID your BBK Warranty

I'm a huge fan of ceramic coatings myself. No wraps needed.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I've had headers before on a vehicle a long time ago. What do you do to keep them from coming loose? That's always a big concern. Do you use thread locker or something else.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've had headers before on a vehicle a long time ago. What do you do to keep them from coming loose? That's always a big concern. Do you use thread locker or something else.
You have to check torque every few days after initial install as the heat cycles seat the gasket. They should get to a point you don't have to recheck. On my Dakota, it took about three months before they stayed torqued. They also make locking header bolts

vincentw56

Reaction score
You have to check torque every few days after initial install as the heat cycles seat the gasket. They should get to a point you don't have to recheck. On my Dakota, it took about three months before they stayed torqued. They also make locking header bolts
The locking bolts are what I used in the past and they worked really well.

Users who are viewing this thread