5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFE Momentum GT Installed

badzdad

Reaction score
After a bit of frustration and a fitment issue with the S&B and several emails and back and forth they offered to RMA my unit that I had for about 3 weeks. I agreed and decided to go a different direction. I originally wanted the AFE Momentum GT unit, but frankly, it was a bit too spendy and I was trying to save for the mirrors I wanted. Given the refund and after finding the AFE on sale at Summit I bit the bullet and ordered it earlier this week. I installed it today and so far I'm really impressed. I'm not throwing stones at the S&B unit, its a decent enough kit and they stood by their product when I had problems.

So everyone is going to ask....what are the differences between the two units. I'll try to keep it simple and lay them out without too much conjecture even though I am a little biased at this point.

1 - the hardware used in the AFE kit is just better, to the point of bordering on being overkill which is a plus in my book. The clamps are much, much sturdier and provide for a more positive connection. The way it's designed really made me feel better about it. Frankly, I think the problems I had with the S&B filter not staying properly installed on the tube had more to do with the clamps than anything else. I know I am in the minority on this issue, and many have not had any issues with this. Again, S&B made it right and stood behind the product so kudos again to them.
2 - the S&B kit has much larger airbox. It looks great for sure. I do think the larger airbox caused a bit of throttle response loss in the low end, which is a common thing with CAIs in general. The AFE box is smaller and the way the filter connects is very unique and inventive. The smaller box seems to have restored the lower end throttle response. Again this is not scientific, just my seat of the pants feeling with both.
3 - The AFE kit requires you to remove fewer pieces of the stock set up and incorporate more of that into their design, this could be considered a positive or negative. The install on the AFE kit is easier because of this.
4 - Top end the S&B definitely makes more noise, a really nice roar for sure. The AFE is a little quieter.
5 - It's too early to really post much findings related to MPG between the two units, but I will say in the first 50 or so miles the AFE is doing better on MPG by 1.5 roughly. Again I think its too early to consider this a finding just yet. I drove the S&B kit on a 1000 road trip last month so I'm looking to do a similar trip soon to do a more fair comparison. For the record I ran both units without the provided optional box plugs since both recommended this for max performance.
6 - The S&B filter is HUGE. The AFE filter is large and a unique oval shape. I dont know that I would list either as a negative or positive. It's just a difference.

Anyway, I'll try to remember to update this after I get more seat time with the AFE.

Attachments

• IMG_20190829_151301.jpg
    IMG_20190829_151301.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 123

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks nice. I had one on my Jeep SRT and I liked it. Debating it for the ram but not sure if it's worth it

Rustin5

Reaction score
Any update after a few more miles with the intake?

Firebird

Reaction score
Great feedback, thanks for the write-up

badzdad

Reaction score
Any update after a few more miles with the intake?
I'm just now on my second tank of gas with the intake. Also swapped out the muffler to a Magnaflow. So its hard to credit the intake with any of the positive things going on.....but man mileage is great, sound is fantastic and I'm very happy with the combo. Without trying I'm averaging a solid 19mpg and some change in mixed driving. I'm in the country so its more open road than the city, but there is still some traffic and stop lights and what not.

Users who are viewing this thread