5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aero while towing?

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, Aero mode on the air suspension is supposed to be the most fuel efficient, at least when not towing. My question is, when I’m pulling a 28’ travel trailer with a huge frontal area and that’s 20” off the ground, would normal ride height be better?

Rathiem

Reaction score
I had some recent success with less gear hunting, holding 8th gear for longer periods on a recent trip towing from OH to TN. The fuel economy wasn’t mind blowing as you’ve stated but I was getting longer periods of 10-14 mpg rather than the typical 9 when in tow mode. My boat is 4500-5000 lbs including the trailer. I have the Hemi with 3.92 and was driving 75mph with cruise on. Here is what I did with the settings. Disengaged tow/haul once at cruise speed and set the gear selector to 8. This allowed the truck to move to aero on its own, which lowered the vehicle and shut the active grill shutters. It also kept the vehicle from going into MDS. It gets hilly on the trip and I didn’t want it engaging on the downhills. Not sure if the trailer plug prevents this anyway. Didn’t test it. Depending on model and options you’d not be able to do all of this... I had my gauges up on the EVIC and nothing was outta spec on temps etc. Happy trailering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I avoid the tow/haul on the interstate as well, unless it’s hilly. I believe I get a little more mpg from not using it and I think it performs well. No problems with temps either.

I have my hitch set to the lowest setting and had to run in Aero mode to get the trailer to be level. In Normal the trailer is slightly nose high. It toes well in Aero I just didn’t see any mpg improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread